Seven - Jiyong's POV (ch.5-6)

The C.E.O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was visiting mum today since she wanted to catch up with me. We were having a chat over some tea in her patio with a scenic view of her garden. Usually in spring, this garden was flamboyant with flowers but then since it was now the autumn season, all you could see were the shades of red, orange and yellow that fell off from the trees.

 

We were having a pleasant conversation. All of a sudden, my mum's phone rang from her purse. "Just a second, honey. Hello?" She answered.

 

The caller said something from the other end and my mum's facial expression changed drastically. Her eyebrows were furrowed seeing that she was not liking what the caller was saying from the other line. Her eyes started to water by the time the call had ended. She stared straight at her garden while her thoughts wandered somewhere deep.

 

I started to worry, "Mum? Is something the matter?"

 

I waited for her to respond but she was still quiet. I could see that her eyes were empty and distant. I tried to get her attention again, "Mum?" I rubbed her arm in a comforting manner to bring her back from her thoughts.

 

"Your father..." She began to whisper.

 

"Dad called?" I questioned. He never tried communicating with us ever since mum told me that we left him back in Korea. Why would he call all of a sudden?

 

My mum always told me that he was a nice man. Ever since he took over an empire, he completely forgot about us. It made me angry how he could be so selfish. He only cared about his company. I grew up without him and it had been hard for me to not have a father figure to lean on. I had expected from him to teach me some sports or something that we could do together but no, he was too busy ignoring us.

 

She also taught me not to hate on my father but sometimes you couldn't avoid asking a lot of questions as to why he never cared. It was difficult because he just wasn't there for us. I knew that my mum still loved him. She eventually became too exhausted to fight longer for our family. Therefore, she left him as she hoped that my father would take us back.

 

He never did.

 

Mum looked up at me with so much sadness in her eyes. "No...it was his lawyer calling to tell me that he died last night." Then hot tears started to roll down her cheeks. Realization sank at the pit of my stomach. I couldn't believe it. He was gone. Everything that I hoped for, that maybe one day he would call and take us back. I guess that it wouldn't happen anymore.

 

I comforted my mum in an embrace as she cried silently. I couldn't bring myself to mourn for his death since I wasn't really attached to him in any way. She cried for a few minutes and when she had regained her strength to speak she told me that we couldn't attend the funeral. I didn't know what her reason was but I presumed that she still had this pent up anger and frustration bottled up inside her heart even though he deeply loved my father. She probably wouldn't be able to take it when he saw him lying peacefully in his casket.

 

"Mr. Ahn Sung Ki, that's his lawyer, also wanted you to fly to Seoul as soon as possible. He said that your father left a will for you, for us."

 

"I thought you didn't want to go to the funeral?" I asked.

 

She shook her head, "I don't. I was hoping that you would."

 

"What's the point? We're too late now, mum." I gritted my teeth in annoyance.

 

"Honey, I just meant that perhaps his last words are in that will. There might be something that we can attempt to understand from his side of the story." Her eyes showed that she was hopeful. I didn't want to break it so I reluctantly agreed. It would only probably take a few days to settle everything then I could go home immediately.

 

I arrived in Seoul on a Sunday afternoon, a few days after my father's death and funeral. Mr. Ahn had offered me free accommodation at Kwon Hotel but I had declined. I really didn't want to get into my father's business. I heard he was good with the hotel industry but I wasn't going to dwell on further. It was a tiring flight so I decided to stay in a different hotel. The rest of the day I had rested and just ordered room service.

 

By Monday morning, I met with Mr. Ahn. He had instructed someone to come pick me up from the hotel to take me to my father's office. We were to discuss the will that my father left for us.

 

"Good morning, Mr. Kwon. I would like to welcome you here in Seoul. Mr. Ahn is already waiting for you." A woman from the reception desk greeted me.

 

I just nodded, grateful for her assistance.

 

"Your father's office is on the last floor. It would lead you directly to his office when the elevator opens

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter