Thirty Eight

The C.E.O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a normal Friday morning for me when I got ready for work. Ever since I left Kwon Corporation, my wardrobe had consisted more on casual clothing. I still kept my office clothes when the occasion rose that I needed to be dressed in business formal. However, I was working at a café and the semester was going to start soon so my office clothes were no longer needed for the mean time. I was already dressed in a white polo shirt and khaki shorts. Donghwi was considerate enough to let us wear shorts for the summer but only during Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

 

I had the whole apartment to myself since Seungri went to work early, preparing lunch when I heard a knock on my door. I wiped my hands on a kitchen towel and darted towards the door to see who it could be, partly opening the door to have a peek. When I saw Jiyong standing outside my door, I panicked a bit. I wasn't supposed to see him until I arrived at the café. My heart tumbled around my rib cage as his presence made me nervous. Before I said anything, I snorted awkwardly that was mixed with a giggle as I saw what he was wearing. He was in a black tailored suit and what caught my attention was his tie. He was wearing the one that I gave him last Christmas, the panda patterned tie. I was supposed to dare him to wear it when we got back from our trip in Bordeaux.

 

"It doesn't look that bad." Jiyong's deep voice made me snap my attention to him. He was smirking as he leaned on the doorframe.

 

"I never thought you'd actually wear it." I grinned when I gave him a once over. He actually didn't look bad. It was playful and adorable for me at least.

 

Jiyong shrugged while he smiled lopsidedly, "It's a special gift." I blushed when he appreciated it after all. I didn't say anything as I kept staring at him with curiosity. The last few days had been a dream. He was so considerate and gentle with me which was beyond him. I knew what kind of man he was and I never thought this side of him existed. I wanted this Pierce. He may have hurt me a few months ago but I didn't get why his determination made me fall for him even more. Would he ever ask me to be his again? That was the whole point why he came back, right?

 

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" Jiyong lifted his eyebrow as I hadn't finished gawking at him. I cleared my throat to hide my embarrassment. I then mimicked his expression as I asked him, "Why would I invite you inside my apartment? Scratch that, why are you even here?"

 

"I'm actually here to ask you out to eat lunch with me since I won't be able to swing by the café later. I have a meeting at 3 o'clock. I wanted to see you today." He smiled shyly as he buried his hands deep into his pockets.

 

"Oh." Stunned for a second before I continued, "I'm actually making grilled cheese...!" I hissed as I remembered that I left the sandwich cooking on the frying pan. Running back to the kitchen to see half of my sandwich burnt as it started to release a pungent smell of smoke. I groaned when I was close to burning the apartment down. This was the sole reason why I should never be allowed in the kitchen.

 

I turned the electric stove off and brought the pan to the sink. I groaned again when I realized I had nothing to eat for lunch. Jiyong just chuckled from behind me. I almost forgot that he was here. I turned around and placed my hands on my hips, "What seems to be so funny?"

 

He grinned happily, "You no longer have a reason to say no to my invitation."

 

"Right." I sighed in defeat. "So, where are you taking me?"

 

"I have no idea." Jiyong smiled and grabbed my hand as he tried to drag me out of the apartment. I didn't even hesitate when I just let him guide me. A secret smile grew on my face. I was glad he wanted to see me today.

 

We got to his car and Jiyong, like the gentleman he was, opened the car door for me. I slipped inside and made myself comfortable. His smell was intoxicating my nostrils when I got in his car which smelled nice. It wasn't too strong nor was it too musky. Jiyong got in as he buckled himself then started the engine.

 

We drove for a while but then Jiyong stopped and parked in front of a small diner. I had never been here before so I wasn't sure about the food. We entered the diner and we were greeted by the greasy smell of bacon. I could tell that this place had been here for a long time. The interior was quite rustic looking. The wooden floors were no longer shiny as the paint on some part of the walls was already chipped off.

 

Jiyong led me to the counter stool. He offered a seat to me first then he sat next to me. There was a menu already placed on the counter. I lifted it up and scanned for their specials. They let you build your own sandwich. I gasped in excitement and at the same time my stomach grumbled in hunger.

 

I turned to Jiyong and he was looking at me in amusement. "I knew you'd like it here. I found it a while ago."

 

"You know me too well." I grinned as I went back to reading the menu. The diner offered different kinds of bread, dressing, vegetables, meat and cheese to build your own sandwich. There were unlimited possibilities to choose from. I decided on some rye bread with a mustard mayo dressing together with some tomato, lettuce and cucumber. I also chose to add bacon and cheddar cheese. Pierce ordered a sub sandwich with just plain mayonnaise, TLC with Philly cheese steak.

 

Our orders were prepared right in front of us. I guess Jiyong wanted to sit here so I could see how our sandwiches were made. In just ten minutes, our food was ready. As we ate, I was enjoying my meal especially in Jiyong's company. I never thought we would be able to go back to this. Just us two being at ease with each other with no awkward tensions. I still had a lot of questions though but I would have to save it for tomorrow. Right now, all I wanted was to enjoy my lunch with Jiyong.

 

After we ate our lunch, Jiyong drove me to work. "I'll pick you up after your shift." He said as he the hazard light of his car while he stopped in front of the café.

 

"Are you sure? It's kind of late. I could take the bus home. You don't have to wait for me." I offered.

 

Jiyong gave me a don't-you-dare-defy-me look. He didn't have to say anything. "Okay, okay. I get it." I playfully rolled my eyes when he just smiled triumphantly.

 

"I'll see you later, Dara." With that, he drove off when I got out of the vehicle.

 

I entered the café and noticed Donghwi was manning the register today.

 

"Hey cutie, can I get a cup of coffee to go?" I joked.

 

Donghwi looked up and when he saw me, he smirked. "What's your name beautiful?"

 

I gave him a fake number to conclude my lame pick-up line. That earned him a chuckle, "That was really smooth."

 

"You're just saying that to soften the blow of rejection." I rolled my eyes and snickered. He smiled as he continued doing his thing. "Anyway, where's Hoyeon?" I asked as I leaned onto the counter. Jonny was counting the money on the register.

 

Donghwi shrugged, "No idea. She's going to be late if she's not here in-" He looked down and checked his watch, "-3 minutes."

 

Just as I walked around the counter, Hoyeon's voiced boomed inside the café. "I'm here!" She sprinted towards us. She was flushed probably from running all the way here. She heaved more air into her lungs and exhaled loudly.

 

"Just in time." Hoyeon grinned as I unexpectedly noticed that she gave Donghwiy a secret knowing look. My eyes went back and forth between them and I saw something. Whatever it was, they looked good together. I smiled to myself when an idea popped into my head.

 

"Hey Donghwi, do you still need help with the paperwork? I could take over the office for now." I suggested. That could help them spend more time together.

 

Donghwi gave me a sheepish smile. I knew he liked the idea. He gave in and led me to his office. He showed me how he managed his reports and I was taken aback by the amount of work that had to be done. Some of them were from a few years ago. This would take a long time, I thought. But I didn't mind, I had missed doing office work. When Donghwi left me to do his work, I exaggerated stretching my limbs just to pump myself up then immediately went straight to work.

 

Hours went by, forgetting that I'd locked myself inside the office. I reorganized everything and filed them properly. I basically rearranged Jonny's office the whole day. I was in disbelief when I looked around. The room was more spacious and uncluttered. You could even add more furniture in here.

 

I was standing in the middle of the room as I appreciated a job well done. I mentally patted myself on the back when I heard the door creak open. Hoyeon's head peeked inside and when she saw the newly improved office her eyes widened.

 

"Damn!" She yelped in surprise. She entered the room to further look around. "I never thought this place existed." Hoyeon giggled.

 

"Me either. It took me the whole day." I chuckled.

 

"Donghwi would definitely flip when he sees his man cave spot free."

 

"He better not. I worked hard on it." I folded my arms and huffed.

 

"What the ?" I didn't have to look behind me to see who just walked in. I turned around as I anticipated seeing Donghwi's reaction. I couldn't really describe how he was feeling through his facial expression. Was he furious?

 

"I didn't know I had this much space!" He pumped his fist into the air. He was now grinning like a fool. "Sandara, I must say that you deserve a bonus this month." He added appreciatively.

 

I laughed, "You really don't have to but I'm glad you liked it."

 

"Like it? I should put a flat screen television just to show you how much I love it!" He pointed out a blank wall on the left side of the room where he would be planning on installing it. I smiled as I saw him very happy.

 

"Oh!" I heard Hoyeon squeal all of a sudden. "Sandara, I totally forgot that your boyfriend is waiting for you outside. Going out somewhere?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

 

"He's not my boyfriend." I rolled my eyes at Hoyeon. "I have to go. See you guys tomorrow." I waved as I left them inside the office when Donghwi yelled, "Thanks Sandara!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter