Thirty Six

The C.E.O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Hey, new girl. Can I get the usual please?" Youngbae, the guy with mohawk, came up to the counter and smiled. He was the first customer I served when I first started last Monday. He was kind enough to comment on my first try making an English toffee cappuccino.

 

"Sure thing." I smiled brightly. "Hoyeon? Could you take my place at the register? Youngbae needs his fix." I chuckled and started to grab a cup and filled some espresso from the machine.

 

"Sure." Hoyeon grinned.

 

Over the week, Hoyeon and I had grown a bit close. The red head was a beauty to look at. She had these adorable freckles that were scattered lightly on her nose. Her hair was a healthy shade of orange red. You really couldn't see since it was hidden in a ponytail but her hair was naturally long and curly. She was only nineteen taking biochemistry as well. Donghwi and Hoyeon met in class during freshman year. When she heard that Donghwi handled a café near the campus she took the chance to apply and took a part-time job.

 

Donghwi handed my uniform which consisted of a brown apron and a pin that had my name on it on my first day. We were supposed to wear some khaki pants and a white polo shirt as a standard. Hoyeon taught me how to operate the machines on the first hour of my shift. She also explained on how to handle the register. She then gave me a spiel on how to address the customers. All the basic training, I had accomplished in a week. Now, I was starting to get things to work smoothly. I spilt some milk on occasion but it was okay. I just needed to get used to it.

 

Before I even started my first day here at the café, I insisted that I drive Soohyuk to the airport since my shift was at two in the afternoon. He only stayed for the weekend, major bummer. We had an awesome time despite what had happened that Saturday morning. I knew he was in a lot of pain but he really tried to cheer me up that day which I was grateful for. I had tried to not involve him in strenuous activities so we just decided to go sightseeing around the city.

 

We eventually met up with Seungri and Daesung during dinner. Try to imagine the three of them together. Oh god, you had no idea how disastrous it was. They immediately clicked and made it to a point to make fun of my embarrassing high school moments. Halfway through dinner, Seungri couldn't contain his curiosity and had asked Soohyuk what happened to his bottom lip. We looked at each other weirdly but Seungri caught it. He knew there was something that we should be telling him. I swear there was nothing you could keep away from him.

 

He told us that he already knew that it would happen eventually. He had warned me but I didn't listen. There wasn't much we could do anyway, it happened. Dinner went really well and they expected to see Soohyuk around soon. Unexpectedly, Seungri warmed up to him despite his disapproval. After dinner and a few drinks, I drove Soohyuk back to the hotel and thanked him for the day. He had smiled genuinely and hugged me tightly.

 

"Thank you, Sandara." He spoke softly through my hair.

 

I pulled away and stared at him, "Where is this coming from? You're getting mushy on me." I scrunched my nose in disgust but I was only doing it playfully.

 

He chuckled, "I have to be honest with you. It hasn't really been good for me. It was nice to escape even if it was a short trip. So, thank you." He smiled yet it didn't quite reach his eyes.

 

I frowned and thought this man was always happy to hit a conversation with me. I never thought it was that bad with the divorce or whatever it was that was bothering him. Whenever I asked, he would only dodge the question away which I found odd at that time. Yet, he still managed to say that he was fine. But now, he was just hiding everything from me.

 

"You could always talk to me. You know that right?" I looked into his eyes and I noticed all the pain he felt that was masked with his beautiful smile. It was the first time then that I saw the real Soohyuk.

 

"I know." He smiled sadly and ruffled my hair. "Good night. I'll see you tomorrow." He walked off and I just stared at his retreating back.

 

I finished Youngbae's order and placed it on a tray with a folded tissue, a packet of brown sugar and a stirrer. Youngbae was on his tablet when he saw me with his coffee. He smiled and scooted his tablet to the side to make room for his drink.

 

"Here you go, Youngbae. The usual." I chuckled and placed the mug on his table. "Thanks, new girl." He smiled as I walked back behind the counter.

 

"I think Youngbae likes you." Hoyeon blurted all of a sudden.

 

I laughed, "Don't. He just probably likes the way I make his coffee." I smiled sheepishly.

 

"You've really improved. I'm so proud." Hoyeon fanned herself and I just laughed.

 

It was a quiet afternoon. There were only a few people in the café either doing some work or catching up with their friends. Donghwi was cramped inside his office doing paperwork while Hoyeon and I handled the counter. There was also Wohyun, Heeyeon, Youngdeuk and Youngdeun butWohyun, Heeyeon, and Youngdeuk worked in the mornings while Youngdeun was out back working in the kitchen. They were the regulars. I had also met the others that were only here for the summer. Everyone was great and their happy mood was always infectious.

 

The small bell rang that hung on the glass door. It indicated that there was someone who entered the café so it would alert us to smile immediately and welcome the customer. Hoyeon and I both turned to see who it was. Our eyes met and I gasped to see Jiyong in a trimmed ash grey suit. He was smiling brightly when he caught our attention. I was glued to the floor when Hoyeon decided to welcome him.

 

"Hi, what can I get you?" She giggled a little too flirtatiously. I mentally gagged at how women go weak for him. Oh wait, I was one of them. Unbelievable.

 

"Just a cup of coffee please." He was smiling and it was so weird. His gaze then transferred to me. We just stood there looking at each other longingly. I didn't know how long we were staring at each other but I didn't notice that Hoyeon had been calling out his attention.

 

"Sir? That would be a dollar fifty." He broke our staring contest and grabbed his wallet in his back pocket.

 

He handed a five dollar bill and said, "Keep the change." He strode off to find an empty seat beside the window that had a view of a small garden just outside the café.

 

Hoyeon all of a sudden jabbed the side of my stomach with her elbow and hissed, "Stop gawking and make his coffee." I looked around as if getting lost in my own thoughts.

 

"Huh?" I asked dumbly, forgetting where I was and what I was doing for a few seconds.

 

"Coffee. Now." Hoyeon folded her arms and tapped her foot impatiently. She eventually showed her smirk as I blushed profusely.

 

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." I flushed in embarrassment and started making a cup of coffee. I knew how Jiyong liked his coffee. He liked his coffee brewed with just a dash of milk and a spoonful of sugar. I placed his or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter