Thirty Two

The C.E.O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong ' POV

 

It was the first time I dreamt about Sandara after she walked away from me. Everything was dark and blurry but I could sense her presence. I felt her soft hand on my cheek as her thumb tried to sooth them. Then, I felt her warm lips touch my forehead and it lingered there for a bit before she let go. It was a nice feeling but I didn't want it to end yet.

 

Trying to reach out and grab her wrist, I couldn't see her but I knew she was there.

 

"Stay." I called out.

 

She didn't say anything as she tried to wiggle off from my grasp. I held on tighter hoping that this dream wouldn't end. This was the closest encounter I've had of her in weeks. I felt incredibly at ease for the first time in a long while. She whispered something but I couldn't make out the words she was saying.

 

Waking up to the incessant ringing of my alarm, I squinted as the light from my window blared through my curtains. I noted to myself that I should get thicker and a darker material for the drapes. I groaned as my head pounded in immense pain. To be honest, the whole time after I had read my father's letters had been a blur. I only remembered fragments of what I had done these past few weeks. I ran off to London drunk. I made my mum cry. I was an angry person to everyone at work since I hadn't been sober. Basically, I was a douche the entire time.

 

I didn't know how I got thrown out of the club last night. They probably thought that I had enough to drink. Remembering I had called someone for help though. I slowly got up from bed, massaging my forehead from the headache. Quickly noticing a glass of water and an aspirin sitting on my side table, I reached for the glass as I popped the tablet in my mouth. The water felt cool on my throat.

 

Wait a minute...

 

Looking around, I found that my suit jacket was folded on my dresser chair as my shoes were also neatly placed beside it. Someone was here last night. I rummaged for my phone inside my pocket, pulling it out and looked through my dialed contacts. My eyes widened as I saw Sandara's name on my screen. Hoping I didn't drunk dial her and told her something really stupid. Last night wasn't a dream at all. She was here with me. But why didn't she stay?

 

I was tempted to call her right then and there. But I knew it wasn't right. I was a drunken mess as you could tell. Sighing in exasperation, I got up to get ready for work. I took a hot shower to wash off the grime off of me which made me feel a bit better after. My headache somehow subsided. And surprisingly, I didn't hate on the world today. Knowing Sandara was here last night and that she still cared for me gave me hope. I needed to fix this. Not just for me but for her as well.

 

The day was sunny yet the cold air still nipped my skin as I drove myself to work. It was the first week of March and the weather was just bipolar. One day the sun was out and the next day it would snow for a period of time in a day. As I arrived to work, everyone scurried out of my way. Huh. I guess it was time to change things around here. I approached the receptionist, and gave her a tight lipped smile. She was surprised at my friendly approach as she coughed to clear .

 

"G-good morning, Mr. Kwon. How may I help you today?" She stuttered while she tried composing herself.

 

"Any calls for me?" I asked.

 

She gave me a nervous smile and took out a folder. Handing me the folder, she said, "These were all the calls that you missed since January. I wrote down their names and contact number so you could call them back. Also, noting the reason for their call. I included some reminders that needed your attention, sir. Most of them were from the board. They didn't sound too happy." She cringed when she mentioned the board.

 

I chuckled nervously and gave her nod. "Thank you, Minzy. I never knew I missed so much work."

 

She just gave me a sympathetic smile as I proceeded to head up my office. When I walked out the elevator, I sighed when I couldn't hear the coffee maker brewing or hear Sandara typing on her computer. I hadn't had the chance to hire a new assistant seeing as I wasn't myself these past few weeks. Minzy was kind of a temporary replacement since I diverted all my calls to the lobby. I didn't want to be disturbed then. Sitting down on my chair, I took a deep breath. I needed to sober up if I wanted to get things done. With that, I started opening the folder as I read that I needed to do a lot of things, groaning in defeat but worked on it anyway.

 

It had been a few hours since I called and updated some people especially the project I had in London. It had been put on hold which made me lose money. I was just busy catching up on some work when I heard a faint knock on my door.

 

"Come in." I called out to whoever it was behind the door. The door opened swiftly and revealed my mum striding towards me. My mouth gaped open when I saw her. She had a straight face on and saw that she was kind of hesitant to approach me.

 

"Mum." I stood and she stopped walking when she stood on the other side of my desk.

 

Giving me a sad smile, she asked, "May I?" She asked as she extended her hand for her to sit. I nodded and we both sat down. There was silence. Mum looked around the place as if recalling memories the last time she was here.

 

"This place hasn't changed at all." She commented.

 

"What are you doing here, mum? It's not that I don't want you here. It's just..."

 

Before even finishing off my sentence, she interrupted me and asked, "Take a walk with me?"

 

I nodded and accompanied her out of the building. We were walking along Seoul Forest to get away from the busy streets. I guess my mum wanted to talk so I took her somewhere calm and silent. We were still silent as we walked down the pavement. I didn't feel angry anymore but I wanted to apologize for making her cry when I threw a fit back in London. This was actually our first time communicating. We hadn't patched things up since then so I guess this was the right time to listen which I obviously hadn't done in a while.

 

I was about to speak when mum got to it first. We stopped walking as she looked up to me with remorse. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I know it wasn't a good plan to keep you away from your father. It was the only solution I came up with. Not a wise decision but it was for your own good...At least I thought it was. Seeing you like this, made me regret everything. You can hate and blame me for it but that doesn't mean you have to throw your life away like this. Don't be like your father and I. Fight for her. Be happy."

 

I had to do a double take when she released that last line to me. "What?" I asked rather shockingly. It surprised me how she knew that Olivia and I were no longer communicating.

 

Mum gave me a small smile and said, "I know she makes you happy. I've seen it myself. Don't drown yourself with our mistakes, Jiyong. It's time to forgive your father. I'm not expecting you to forgive me but I hope you'd do the right thing."

 

What my mum said made me speechless. I wasn't expecting this kind of talk with her. Yet, she was right. I had to forgive and move on. I couldn't be mad at my own mother no matter how ed up our family was. She was here, alive and very healthy. I should value my time with her. She taught me things that made me appreciate the simple life. It definitely wasn't about the money. She had sacrificed herself from getting love from the man she fell in love with just to protect me. I understood that now.

 

"Mum, I'm sorry for everything. I was just angry and hurt. I may still have to understand both of your reasons but right now it doesn't matter. Before you even came, I've decided to turn my life around for the better. I'll work hard so dad would be proud of me. I'll even win her back." I told her with pride. She beamed as if to tell me that she was proud.

 

I didn't know how we ended up sitting on a park bench but it was nice talking to mum. She grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. For the first time, I smiled that day looking up to sky with hope that everything would be okay.

 

"Do you want to have lunch? And maybe visit dad?" I asked mum and wished that she found herself to forgive him as well. When I came to London a few weeks ago, I threw the letter at her face when I was in fury. She was mortified with how I acted. I was so drunk at that time but it was one of the memories I remembered doing. I hoped she had read the letter and came to a point of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter