Thirty

The C.E.O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seungri decided that it would be best if I went home to Gran for a while. He told me to ponder on what I would want to pursue if I get into university. While I was at it, I should be preparing for my application. He also wanted me to have some fun and that I should keep my mind off from thinking about Jiyong which was absolutely impossible to do.

 

So I listened and went back to Busan to visit my grandmother. When I stepped into Gran's house, I couldn't stop hearing her complain about my health.

 

"My goodness! Why haven't you been eating?" Grumbling, I still hadn't gained an appetite to eat. The first thing she did when I arrived was to cook me a meal.

 

"Gran, I'm really not hungry." I tried to tell her.

 

"Nonsense. Why is Jiyong not feeding you? Is he giving you a hard time at work? I swear if that boy is not taking care of you..."

 

"Gran..." I interjected. "I'm just stressed out. Don't worry about me." I knew she didn't believe me. She had a way with things. Either she was psychic or Seungri had told her everything before I went to ran off to Gran.

 

"I'm always worried about you, dear." She placed a plate of Spaghetti Bolognese in front of me. "Now, eat." I really didn't feel hungry. When I looked up, she was giving me a commanding glare to pick up a fork and feed myself. I decided against rolling my eyes at her, knowing that they were just worried about me. I picked up a utensil and twirled the pasta around my fork then put it in my mouth. Gran was smiling brightly at me and encouraged me to eat some more. I gave her a small smile as I forced myself to chew. The food tasted bland since I still hadn't gained my appetite back.

 

"I don't know what's going on with you but Seungri told me you needed a vacation. You can stay as long as you want. Now, I have to go. Hojin is taking me to play bingo. You'll be alright by yourself for a few hours?" Only noticing that Gran was dressed for a date, she was wearing a periwinkle dress with floral embroidery. She picked up her purse and coat as she started to head out. Eyeing me one last time, I fed myself with more spaghetti to keep her satisfied that I was finally eating.

 

"Gran, I'll be fine." I assured her.

 

She nodded and said, "Make sure to finish all of it." With one final look, she closed the door behind her. I looked at my plate and only a quarter of the food was eaten. Pushing my plate back, I stood up and I covered the spaghetti with cling wrap and placed it inside the refrigerator. I would get back to it later.

 

I went to the living room and mindlessly watched some television, falling asleep instantly. When I woke up, the house was already dark. Gran was still not home. I wondered what time it was. Wiping my eyes with the back of my hand, I heard my phone ringing. I rummaged through my bag to find it.

 

"Hello?" I answered the call without looking at the caller ID.

 

"Sandara..." A woman on the other line sobbed as she called out to me. "It's me... Jiyong..." She couldn't continue from crying too much. I worried about her and wondered what she was trying to say about Jiyong.

 

"Aunty, calm down. I'm here." I reassured her. "What's the matter?"

 

When she had calmed down, she was still sniffling. "Oh Sandara, I'm such a terrible mother. He knows..." She started to cry again. I knew she told me about this when we were London but back then I had no idea what she was rambling about.

 

After a while she started to speak again. "H-he came by my house and started yelling at me. He just left. I don't know what to do. He's so angry." She continued to cry on the other line.

 

He was back in London? I worried that he would do something stupid or worse. "I'm so sorry. I can't help you, Aunty. We're not speaking right now." I told her with so much sadness in my voice. As much as I wanted to do something for them, I couldn't. Mrs. Kwon and I talked for a while as I tried to calm her down. She told me what Jiyong was so angry about. She had been depriving Jiyong from having contact with his father after all of these years. I remembered when Jiyong told me about the birthday card he had received when he turned ten. It was the only contact he had received from his father. She confessed that she had been keeping all of his letters from Jiyong.

 

Mrs. kwon then explained that she didn't want to give Jiyong false hope that Mr. kwon would come back for them. So she drove him away. Wilson was persistent for the first few years when Mrs. Kwon and Jiyong left him in Korea. The promises that Mr. Kwon had spoken were continually broken. Mrs. kwon couldn't stand it. If they stayed with Mr. Kwon, life with him would still be the same.

 

The reason why Mrs.Kwon left was because she wanted Mr. Kwon to learn that they were more important than his money. She wanted him to feel remorse from ignoring them and what he would miss out if they were no longer with him. She had high hopes for Mr. Kwon but he never tried to win them back. Mr.Kwon kept offering them more money to support them which Mrs. Kwon had politely declined. The only offer she accepted was the money for Jiyong's education other than that she never accepted any money from him. She just wished that he would be a father to Jiyong and a loving husband. Mr. Kwon never even realized it.

 

I now understood both sides. Mr. Kwon tried to work hard to provide for his family while Mrs. Kwonb just wanted to live a simple life with them. I knew Mr. Kwon had a rough childhood as he grew up fast when he turned thirteen years old. He was the eldest and he was the one who had provided money for his siblings' education. He took the role of a parent at an early age since his mother was an alcoholic while his father had already passed. This explained why Mr. Kwon was a workaholic.

 

Mrs. kwon, on the other hand, gave Jiyong a normal childhood. She let him experience the hardships you encounter in life. Jiyong knew how hard earned money was gained. He wasn't spoon fed with everything. Mrs. Kwon wanted control over their riches. She only needed enough for them to survive.

 

As the call ended, I noticed that we had talked for over an hour. She asked me for help since she didn't know what to do. I told her to give him some time until he was ready to talk, explain everything and let him understand her side. She agreed as she was thankful for having to talk to me. I just hoped that everything would fall into place soon.

 

I flopped back onto the couch and held onto the necklace that Jiyong gave me last Christmas. My thoughts then wondered to how Jiyong was doing. How I wanted to comfort him and to tell him that everything was going to be fine. But no, Jiyong didn't want anything to do with me anymore which made my heart ache as it reminded me that he was no longer mine.

 

Weeks went by as I tried to continue on with my life. Staying with Gran and visiting Seungri's family made me feel unperturbed and it cleared some of my thoughts. The only thing that was hard to forget was Jiyong. He constantly invaded my mind. I worried about him almost every day. As much as I wanted to hate him, I couldn't since I understood what he was feeling. He just needed to find himself and hoped that he does.

 

It hurt me that he found himself with Jessica. Were they still together? Was she caring for him? The thought of her being with him at this time made me cringe. I'd seen Jiyong on the tabloids when I stayed with Gran. It was unusual that he wasn't escorting Jessica with him during galas. He looked like he was doing okay but I knew from the look on his cold blank eyes that he wasn't. He stopped maintaining his stubble as he now grew a beard. I had also noticed that he had dark circles around his used to be bright hazel eyes from the lack of sleep.

 

I was back in Seoul and I was excited to see Seungri and Daesung. I hadn't contacted anyone ever since I trapped myself into an indeterminate state for a week, feeling fine but not completely. Wak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter