Thirteen

The C.E.O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I stared at Mr. Chun Hojin, our next door neighbor, holding a bouquet of red roses as he stood shyly onto our doorstep. I knew he was a good friend of my grandmother's but I was confused with the roses.

 

"Hi Mr. Chun, what brings you here?" I tried to smile at him but I think my face just showed him a confused one.

 

He took off his Fedora and brought it to his chest, "Sandara, it's great to see you again." He smiled warmly at me. "I was invited by your grandmother for dinner. I hope you don't mind me joining everyone tonight."

 

"Nonsense, please come in. I'm sorry, I had no idea that you were coming tonight." I felt guilty as I hadn't invited him as soon as I opened the door. I had expected that I would spend dinner tonight with my family but the more the merrier right?

 

"No worries. I guess Yoobin hasn't told you yet."

 

What? Tell me exactly what?

 

"Tell me what?" I repeated what I had just thought aloud. We were now headed for the living room when Gran decided to see who was at the door.

 

"Hojin! You came." Gran giggled like a high school girl that saw his crush from across the hall.

 

"Roses for the lovely lady," Mr. Chun offered the roses to my grandmother while she blushed from the sweet gesture.

 

"Oh you shouldn't have. They're really pretty. Thank you, Hojin." She pulled the bouquet closer to her nose so she could smell them.

 

"Gran?" My grandmother was oblivious to what I just witnessed. She looked at me and realized that she hadn't told me anything. "Well? Care to explain?" I urged her to answer me as I folded my arms together. I wasn't mad or anything, I just found this whole thing amusing. Imagine that, my grandmother having a relationship with our next door neighbor.

 

Gran looked flustered as she felt cornered from the confrontation. "I was going to tell you when I called on your birthday but I didn't want to make it about me, dear." She looked away, embarrassed. It was like catching your own daughter dating someone at a pubescent phase.

 

I stifled a laugh. "Still! I would have been ecstatic! Well, I am but I wasn't expecting this. But as long as you're happy then I'm happy." I gave her a sincere smile.

 

Mr. Chun looked at me thoughtfully and said, "Thank you Sandara. I promise to take good care of her."

 

"You better." I threatened him lightly. I knew Mr. Chun was a nice man. I was glad Gran had found someone that could be with her when I wasn't around.

 

"Turkey's ready!"

 

Seungri emerged from the kitchen all of a sudden, holding the huge turkey with both of his hands and placed it onto the center of the table. Everyone started to settle down when I heard the doorbell rang. Who could it be this time?

 

"Are we expecting anyone else?" I asked everybody. They just looked at me and shrugged. Huh, it was probably just someone from next door, needing more stuffing for their Thanksgiving dinner.

 

I opened the door and my eyes went wide at the person who was standing in front of me.

 

"Jiyong?" I was stunned in place. Was this some sort of dream?

 

"Hey." He gave me a small smile but quickly averted his attention to his shoes. I just watched him squirm, not sure what to say back. We were silent for a few moments. My brain was still processing if I should invite him in. He wasn't supposed to be here.

 

It was quite bizarre that he knew where I lived. Now that I thought about it, I couldn't kick him out even if I badly wanted him away from me right now. Jiyong at least drove four hours to get here and he didn't have anyone to spend Thanksgiving with. Of all people, why me? I internally groaned how fate had decided to play a trick on me. A part of me kind of admitted that I liked that he was here but after that awkward exchange of saliva yesterday, I just couldn't handle it.

 

"You must be Jiyong." My grandmother said from behind me, making me jump from surprise. I turned to her and had a puzzled look. How did she know about him? I was sure that they had never met before. They were exchanging warm greetings to one another.

 

What the hell was going on?

 

"You should come in. Dinner is about to start." Gran pulled him in and led him into the dining area. I followed from behind, beyond confused as to what was happening. I reached the dining table when my eyes fell on Seungri. He was giving me that look of surprise when he saw Jiyong walk in with my grandmother.

 

We were now exchanging telepathic signals to one another.

 

"What the hell is he doing here?"

 

"I don't know, ask my grandmother."

 

"What?"

 

I shrugged and mouthed 'Later' at him. He nodded and took a seat beside his mom. Gran let Jiyong sit beside her so I was left with an empty seat between Jiyong and Seungri which was a recipe for disaster.

 

Dinner was awkward, for me at least. Jiyong and Gran were talking like they were old friends. I had no idea what the hell was going on right now. I had been quiet unable to hold a conversation with anyone from the table. I wasn't quite sure if they could tell the strong building of tension between Jiyong and I. He hadn't spoken a word to me ever since he arrived on my grandmother's doorstep.

 

I had lost my appetite so I began to play with my food when Seungri nudged my arm from the side. I looked up to him as he signaled me to get to the kitchen.

 

"I'll go get some more wine" I said meekly, rising from my seat.

 

"I'll help her." I heard Seungri as he also rose from his seat to follow me to the kitchen. When we were sure that the people from the dining wouldn't be able to see us and hopefully also couldn't hear us, Seungri began to demand some answers.

 

"Why is he here?" He asked curiously.

 

"I don't know." I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I don't get why he's friends with Gran."

 

Seungri's face lit up, smirking while he was in thought. "Interesting..."

 

"Seungri, I swear to god if you're pulling something off..." I glared at him, gritting my teeth.

 

I seriously didn't want Seungri interfering, trying to play cupid, because there was really nothing between us. I did like him but sometimes people like me just didn't get lucky for someone like him.

 

Why?

 

The sole reason was my insecurity, I was a person with no personality; I was boring which would be an equivalent to a very boring relationship. I wasn't that pretty. I didn't acquire any talent when I was younger. I had no hobbies. I liked being alone, watching movies all day as I curled myself inside a blanket. I didn't socialize with that many people nor go to any social gatherings. I was just me, Sandara Park, the girl who worked for Mr. Kown Jiyong as his personal assistant.

 

"Oh, relax. I didn't do anything," rolling his eyes at me.

 

I lightly pushed Seungri as I reached for another bottle of wine. He just chuckled as he started to walk back out the kitchen. I followed him, holding the wine that Seungri's family brought for the occasion. I couldn't help but angle my head to Jiyong. He was staring and it made me uncomfortable from the way he was looking at me intensely.

 

After dinner, I wanted to avoid him so I decided to wash the dishes first before joining them at the living room. Everyone gathered to talk and have some of my grandmother's famous Thanksgiving dessert.

 

I scrubbed the plates doing my own business when I felt someone was behind me. I ignored the person who stood by the doorframe but then I heard him get closer. His presence had filled the room which suffocated me. I felt him breathe down my neck as it sent positive waves of shiver down my spine. Jiyong had a way that could make my body respond even from the slightest touch or from the mere few inches of distance that separated us from closing the gap.

 

I said nothing to him while I continued to wash the dishes. He pushed my hair to the side as I felt his nose glide up from the base of my neck. I accidently dropped a plate back into the sink from the tingly contact, relieved that it didn't break.

 

"I'm sorry I kissed you." He whispered in my ear. "Just so you know I don't regret that I did."

 

"What are you doing here, Jiyong?" I asked him, a bit breathlessly. We were face to face when all of a sudden he put both of his hands against the sink so I couldn't get away.

 

"I called your grandmother and asked if I could come." He shrugged as if everything was fine with me, him being around.

 

"Why me?"

 

"You don't want me here?"

 

Why was he so vague about everything!

 

"It's not that..." I tried to carefully find the words that wouldn't offend him. "I find it weird that you're here, I guess." I looked away from his intense gaze as I fiddled with my soapy hands.

He sighed in defeat. I thought he wanted to say something but he decided not to say anything at all.

 

"Let me help you with that," he offered.

 

I didn't stop him as we silently finished washing and drying the dishes together. We came back to the living room a little while later as we saw everyone laughing at something Dongwook had said. I saw Seungri look up to us with a knowing look. I rolled my eyes at him, knowing that he was assuming that something had happened in the kitchen.

 

The evening went on normally, chatting and laughing at some of my childhood memories Gran had decided to share with everyone. I kept my head low as everyone laughed at how adorable I was, as my grandmother would put it. Jiyong hanging out with my family made it a bit awkward for me. The fact that he was fitting in made me anxious. Surprisingly, he looked calm given that the presence or even hearing Seungri's name gave him edge.

 

The turn of events had confused me greatly. The kiss, Jiyong here at my childhood home and his actions that he had shown these past few days were making me think too much about us. I had to remind myself that I worked for him and most especially he was my boss. The kiss was a mistake and I had to convince myself that it was nothing.

 

It was getting late. Seungri, his family and Mr. Chun had to go home. Sowon was already fast asleep by the time dinner was over so they were pleased that they could extend a bit of their time to spend with us. We would still be seeing them tomorrow night anyway so I was looking forward to it. Everyone had just left. I looked expectantly at Jiyong, waiting for him to also leave.

 

He didn't budge though so I asked, "Aren't you leaving? I mean...to your hotel?"

 

"Grandma asked me to stay for the weekend," he smirked. The dumbfounded look on my face gave him the satisfaction. Well, I was glad his cockiness was still intact.

 

I couldn't believe that they were on a first name basis! Since when did this happen?

 

"I'll be right back. Wait here." I left him in the living room as I headed to my grandmother's room bustling with irritation. She opened the door after knocking three times. I slipped in and closed the door behind me.

 

"Seriously?" I shouldn't have taken my anger out on Gran but Jiyong didn't belong here. He needed to leave.

 

"What's the matter, dear?" Gran turned to look at me with a concerned expression. I groaned, yelling at her was not necessary so I had tried my best to keep my frustration at par.

 

"Why are you letting Jiyong stay?"

 

"Sandara, he doesn't know anyone from this city. We have an extra room so I don't see why he has to spend money for a hotel room." My grandmother was too nice. She thought about practicality and simple living. I guess she had wanted more company inside the house since it had been really quiet for a few years without me looking after her.

 

"I didn't know you knew each other." I stated, curiosity lacing my tone. Since I couldn't get a straight answer from Jiyong, might as well ask Gran.

 

She smiled, "That boy called out of the blue. He said that he was Mr. Kwon's only son and wanted to ask if it was okay to visit you since he couldn't leave for London. We chatted for a while then I gave him directions. He's a charming boy, very respectful too. How long have you been seeing each other?"

 

"What? No! We're not..." I answered too quickly.

 

"Well, he's a nice boy. He might be good for you. It's about time you had someone to take care of you." Gran held my hand and looked at me with worry.

 

I snorted at what my grandmother had said. "Gran, that's not a solution to all of my problems. Besides, he doesn't like me that way."

 

"So, you do like him." She smiled mischievously.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter