I'm Back

I've Always Been More Than A Friend

     Seonhwa and her parents came back to Seoul after living in America for six years. They're finally back to their own home and thieir own country. She couldn't wait to see the house, the neighborhood, Seoul, her friends and Seunghyun, her childhood friend. 

     She spent most of the day arranging her things in her bedroom and reminiscing over the early years of her childhood in Seoul. She looked at every room there was in the house.

In her room: her first sleepover with her bestfriend.

In her parent's room: she would always sleep with her parents whenever she had nightmares.

In the guest's room: she would always hide there when she was sad.

In the bathroom: she would spend a lot of time styling her hair only to let it hang lose again.

In the hallway: she would always hang her medals there every graduation.

In the staircase: she would always spend time there with Seunghyun.

In the living room: they would always have gatherings and she would sing for everyone.

In the kitchen: she would learn how to cook along with Seunghyun only to be making a big mess afterwards.

In the dining room: dinners with Seunghyun's family was always the best

In the library: she would sit on one corner reading a book until everyone in the house begin to look for her

In the backyard: she would go out and play with Seunghyun, get dirty and be scolded by their parents

In the front porch: she was leaving for New York and cried but stopped the moment Seunghyun kissed her.

 

     She didn't notice herself going out of the house and walking somewhere. She wanted to stop but in the back of her mind she knew she wanted to go there. Her mind had complete control over her body. Passing by a lot of streets and houses, she stopped at a very familiar house. she just stood there, staring at the big white house. All of a sudden, an old lady stepped out of the gate and noticed Seonhwa staring at the house. Seonhwa saw her coming and bowed to her.

     "Do you need anything, miss.?" asked the old lady.

     "Oh, I'm sorry," said Seonhwa. "I was just wondering if Choi Seunghyun-sshi was home?"

     "Mianhae, but Seunghyun-ah went out withhis friends. I don't know when he'll be back, though. do you want to leave any message for him.?" the old lady asked.

     Without even thinking, Seonhwa said," Just tell him an old friend of his dropped by. I'd be going now. Kamssahamnida." She bowed again and bid the old lady goodbye.

 

     Seonhwa walked back home, her hands in her pocket and her head down. She thought of what she said to the ahjumma. She didn't really know what to say to Seunghyun. She hasn't seen him in six years. A lot between them may have changed already. She changed herself. Seunghyun changing wouldn't be a big surprise.

     She used to ba a sweet. nice, little girl who wore glasses. She was beautiful and a solid book and music lover. When she went to America, she became tough, strong and brave. She learned martial arts and sports and was often pointed at as a lesbian. but she remained the sweet, innocent girl she was inside.

     Seunghyun, from what she remembers, was a kind, smart proud, handsome boy who was into sports and music. to what he is now, she does not know and that scares her.

     Seonhwa thought to herself," What would he say when he sees me? would he remember me? would he still treat me as afriend or would he turn away? I know he'll remember me, but would his actions towards me be the same.? What if he already has a girlfriend what if he's ashamed to even introduce me to his friends? URGH..!!!!"

     She stopped thinking of her stupid questions. She wanted to cry. Seunghyun's her bestfriend, her brother. She can't possibly live with knowing hes forgotten her.

    

     She came back home and slumped herself on her bed. She thought of her new liffe in Seoul, of school starting in three days, of new classmates, new friends, new challenges and most of all, she was thinking of Seunghyun. She's been in love with him ever since. She wanted to know if he did, too.

     Time flew by. Her staring at the ceiling of her room and thinking about a lot of things slowly let her go to sleep wishing for the best dream there is.