The past is the past.

Revenge or Love?

Myung Soo

I knocked on father’s door “Come in.” I nervously entered the room while holding on to Chung Ae’s hand. She squeezed my arm reassuringly. I stood in front of father. “Father, Sung Yeol failed the mission. And we want to know why you give this order.” Father was in a chair, with his back to us, so he didn’t noticed that they were other people other than me and Sung Yeol. “You are asking after you had failed it?” and he turned his chair around to face us. “Uncle Kim?” I heard Hye Sook’s shocked voice. “Hye Sook? What are you doing here?” my father stared at her. “Father, you know her?” he nodded. “She’s my best friend’s daughter.” He started telling us everything. “Hye Sook’s father and I grew up together. When we were in our teenage years, he took over his father’s mafia. He met your mother then, hye Sook. But your mother don’t like him being in the mafia. Both me and your father liked your mother, and I wanted to be the mafia boss too. But your father give up he’s position to me just to lead a normal live with her. I had gotten the mafia, but not her. So I ordered Sung Yeol’s father, who is my brother, and his wife to go kill him. But things didn’t turn out like I expected. Both of them were killed by your parents, Chung Ae, to protect Hye Sook and her family. I lost my dear brother because of him. I wanted him and Chung Ae’s parents to feel the pain me and Sung Yeol had to endure!” I asked him with my voice trembling, afraid of his answer. “Had you ever loved mother?” he looked at me. “Yes, my dear Myung Soo. I had truly loved your mother. But my mind was filled with revenge and my heart was filled with hatred. I regret not taking care of her when she was in the hospital. Now she is gone…But she never blamed me for it, she is a very kind and thoughtful woman.” He looked at all of us then. “But seeing the two couples in front of me here, I really felt glad that your mission failed, Sung Yeol. I shouldn’t let what happened before all of you were born to affect your lives. My hatred is gone now, and I want to seek your parents forgiveness, Hye Sook. I am going to go there now.”

Hye Sook

The one who ordered Sung Yeol to kill me and Chung Ae was my father’s close friend? Even though I had only seen Uncle Kim a few times when I was young, he would always buy gifts for me and he is very nice. I can’t believe he is the one that nearly cause me to die! After the attempted assassination, I didn’t see Uncle Kim anymore. It had been so long since I had met him. He looked tired and frail. What did he mean by two couples? Did he think that me and Sung Yeol are…? I looked at Sung Yeol just as he looked a me. Our eyes met. His gaze makes my heart beat faster and I was in a daze staring at him. “Hye Sook! Quick! We need to go with Mr Kim to your house!” Chung Ae pulled my arm and I woke up from my dazed state. We rushed to my house. I bought all of them in. “Mum,Dad I’m home!” “Just in time for dinner.” Mum walked out. But she dropped the plate she was holding when she saw who was behind me. “What are you doing here? You are not welcome here!” “What’s happening?” dad came out along with Chung Ae’s parents. “Myung Min! It’s been so long!” my father went Uncle Kim and hugged him. Uncle Kim asked him. “I came here to seek your forgiveness.” He continued “I’m sorry I had caused you daughters to be in so much danger. It’s because of my own selfishness that things had become like this.” Chung Ae’s parents and dad looked like they were ready to forgive him. My dad said “The past is the past. You were always like a brother to me, Myung Min.” Chung Ae’s parents nodded “Let’s put the past behind us. Everyone makes mistakes, right Hyu Rin?” Mrs Park turned to mum. “Yes. I’m glad you had realised your mistake.” My mother said coldly to Uncle Kim. We ate dinner together, me, my parents, Chung Ae, her parents, Myung Soo, his father and Sung Yeol. After dinner we sat together. “Dad, why didn’t you tell me about your past?” dad looked serious “I don’t want you to know because it is not a past that I am proud of. In fact I hated it. I had never wanted to be a mafia boss but I’m your grandpa’s only son. I had no choice but to accept it.” He turned to Uncle Kim “Myung Min, I’m grateful that you helped to take over the mafia. If it had not been for you, I might still be someone that is unhappy.” “I didn’t know you and Chung Ae’s parents were friends.” Mum put in quickly “We were friends for a long time now, but they had been busy with their work so they don’t visit as much as they do before.” Me and Chung Ae looked at each other “How come I don’t remember seeing you or your parents before?” “We always go out to have a meal together. Both of you don’t want to go with us so we asked neighbours to help look after you.”

Chung Ae

Our parents had knew each other for so long! But a thought came to me. Do I have to arrest Myung Soo? I turned to him and asked carefully, afraid of his answer. “Myung Soo, had you killed someone under your father’s orders?” his eyes widened “WHAT? No! my father had never told me or Sung Yeol to kill anyone other than the two of you…” I sighed in relief. So I don’t have to arrest him for murder. What about Sung Yeol? It all depends on Hoya…