Conflicts

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was right before her next check-up that Minhyuk turned up again.

He had disappeared after she got implanted, and now he turns up again like nothing happened. And she was tired of it – why did Minhyuk keep disappearing?
"What is it?" she asked. She had thought about Minhyuk while getting implanted – she had thought, would Minyuk have agreed? What would it have been like to carry Minhyuk's child? Not that there was anything wrong with Junpyo's, she was glad Junpyo was the father. Still, a part of her wondered how things would have been if Minyuk was the father. It was the same part of her that sometimes wondered what they would have been like if she had not come to Korea – she was pretty sure that whateve it was, it would have been more than friendship...

"Jae," said Minhyuk, and his voice sounded broken. "Jae, I wanted to come so badly but..."
He suddenly put his arms around her, and she felt her stiff body relax as he held her tightly.

"I wanted to call you, see if you were doing ok," he said, still in that broken voice. "But... I couldn't.... but I promise, no matter what from now on I will always be here for you, I will never disappear again."
Jaekyung felt tighten and her eyes sting at his words – there it was, there was someone who treasured her... that she treasured just as much too.

"Minhyuk," she whispered. "I... why did you disappear?"
A feeling within her whispered, "Your parents". They had known everything about Minhyuk... they hadn't believed her either when she said they were just friends.

"I won't, ever again," he said fiercely. "I promise."

He pulled back to look her in the eye, and she saw his fierce determination. Oh, how different things could have been if she hadn't come to Korea...but did he know about the babies?
"Did you hear?" she asked, a smile stretching her lips. "The implant was successful." She left him a voice mail.
Something flickered in his eyes – but it was so quick, she did not see it, as Minhyuk smiled widely and said, "Congratulations! You must be really happy!"
"You have no idea," she replied. "It's so amazing when I wake up every day, I get so excited thinking, in a few months I'll have babies!"

"Wait, there's more than one?"
She nodded. "I have twins!"

"That's wonderful!" he exclaimed, and she laughed loudly – she was just so happy!

He caught her by the hands. "Really, that's wonderful! Soon, you'll have not just one but two!"
"I really can't wait," said Jaekyung. Looking at her watch,"Oh, and I have an appointment soon."
"Want me to come with you?"
Junpyo had never even raised his eyes when she told him she was going to the doctor...

"It's all right, and to be frank it might be awkward."

"Why?"

"But-"
"You do know that I would have been, if that phone hadn't rung?"
"I know..."
"So doesn't that give me the right be worried and look after you? Jae, it's me – and nothing has changed just because of Junpyo."

She knew this. But she wasn't sure about it... accompanying her to the hospital was the father's job... but it would be all right to let Minhyuk come, right?

A cough made them both start, and Junpyo, leaning aganst the doorframe, asked suspiciously, "What are you doing in my house?"
Jaekyung didn't even reply to that – honestly, it was her house now, too! - and Minhyuk muttered under his breath, "Here he comes again."
"What's that?" asked Junpyo.

"Nothing."
"I didn't invite you, so-"
"For the last time," snapped Jaekyung. "I invited him, ok? He can come in and out of this house as he wants."
"This is my house-"
"It's mine too."

"I don't want him here." Junpyo had his arms crossed like a stubborn child.
"Jae," said Minhyuk softly, touching her lightly on the arm – Junpyo's eyes narrowed – "Don't worry, I'll be back. I have to get going now, but I'll be back."
"All right."

He let go of her arm, and with a smile, picked up his coat and left.

Jaekyung shot a look at Junpyo. "Wow, you are one immature guy."
"I don't like him."
"I don't care – I like him so shut up."
Junpyo's mouth fell open - she had never said shut up to him. Had a good effect, too – he really did shut up. Maybe she should say it more often.

"You like him?" he demanded – unfortunately it didn't last long. "Like... more than as a friend?"
Jaekyung looked at him directly. "You are in no position to say anything to me about that." 
And all of a sudden she was just too tired to talk to him, it was exhausting and pointless. Argghhh pregnancy hormones....

*    *    *   *

Krystal lingered on the porch, she didn't want to say goodbye to Woobin just yet – not after such a sweet date of going to Namsan Tower. And maybe that was the thing – maybe she wanted more than sweet dates, after all in a few months they were to be married and Woobin hadn't even tried to kiss her yet.

Woobin glanced down; she was clutching his hand. "What is it?"
"Just... not yet," she muttered. "You always run away after you bring me home."
He pushed back her hair and tucked it behind her ear. "What do you want me to do, then?"

She shrugged. "I don't know... just stay. You... you always run away the first chance you get. I don't understand... don't you want this? I thought you were happy about the arrangemnt, but lately why do I-"

"Stop," said Woobin, surprising her by suddenly taking her in his arms. "Please stop."

What was going on? Was Woobin... regretting to having said yes? And maybe he was going to say goodbye now...

"It's like this..." he started.

Krystal braced herself, it was coming...

"I don't want to take it too fast," he said softly. "I don't want to spoil things by making it all go too fast... I want to take it slow."
Krystal peeked up at him; for once his face was not pink. Relief swept over her that it was not as she feared, in fact he was being careful with her. And that was pretty sweet of him.

"You've been taking it slow long enough," she said.

"Huh?"
Before he could react, she stood on tiptoe and pressed her lips to his. Almost immediately she drew back, and Woobin touched his lips and stammered, "W-what did you-"
"I kissed you," she said. "About time someone initiated it."
He turned bright red and she was about to squeal how cute but decided against it – she didn't want to embarrass him.

"Good night, Binnie," she sang out instead, and skipped to her front door, her heart going to burst at any second – I just kissed him! OK, it was short and chaste, but still. Maybe he would initiate it next time... she grinned and got the shivers just thinking about it.

She e last time to wave goodbye to him – his face was back to normal, but he was smiling like an idiot in a clown costume.

"Aish, really!!", she thought, tryinng not to laugh. He really was an idiot... an idiot she loved.... her own idiot.... only hers.... 

*   *   *   *

Jaekyung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter