The F4 Locus

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sometimes, just waiting for someone to come to you works. You need just the right amount of gentle persuasion, but as time goes on, the trust builds up and they will naturally come to you.

Jihoo knew this, which is why he never pressured Eunhye; he knew that she would come to him when she was ready. And slowly, she did small things that would be unnoticeable to other people, like how she leaned closer to him as if instinctively, or how she would look at him a little longer than usual. Tiny little touches that would linger. But he as still the one who always made the first move, she never hugged or kissed him first. And that one late night she appeared without him asking her to come, and didn't hesitate to enter and make herself at home.

"Jihoo, what....?" she asked, seeing him just standing there with his mouth hanging open. "Don't be weird, you're making me feel like a stranger."
He wanted to ask her what she was doing here, what happened to her for suddenly turning up like this, unbidden, but he didn't; he didn't want to put her on the spot and scare her away.

"Should we order take-out?" he asked. Maybe she wouldn't stay that long... but he wanted her to stay with him.

"Why not? Hey, you know what, let's just order jjajjangmyung."
"W-what-"
"We haven't eaten that in such a long time and let's just have it."
Jihoo smiled, then nodded before calling and ordering two servings of the noodles. When he hung up, he saw her sitting comfortably and she patted the space next to her for him to sit down.

"Krystal's been harrassing Woobin lately," she said.

Jihoo chuckled. "What, that whole baby thing?"
"So he told you about it?"
"Of course! The poor guy is terrified, he knows as much as we do that they're not read to have a kid yet but he's scared of what she'd do to him if he ever told her."
"I know, that's why the other day he came and found me and asked me for a favor, to make Krissie understand. Also, I heard that both of their parents don't want them to have a child just yet."
"Did you talk to her yet?"
Eunhye nodded. "I did. Jaekyung was there too, Krissie was going on about how Jaekyung was doing ok but the thing is, Jae was obliged. All right, she did want a child but she wasn't like Krystal. It was the right time for Jae."
"Did she listen?"
"In the end I think I was able to mak her see sense. She wasn't too happy about it though."

"I can imagine," said Jihoo, imagining her fits and Woobin's efforts to calm her down.

Eunhye slipped off her shoes and tucked her feet under her legs, unconsciously leaning closer to him.

"Guess what made her calm down," she said conspirationally.

"What?"
"I told her... that to get some experience and such, she should try having a pet. She never had one before and then -"
Jihoo gave a snort. "Poor Woobin, now are they getting a dog?"
"Krystal was going on about cows, ponies or fluffy bunnies, so they might get one of those."

Jihoo was about to say something when Eunhye's phone went off; she picked upafter he nodded. "Hello?"
"Eunhye," said Woobin.
"Oh hi," she said. "How is she?"
"Thank you so much for making her understand," said Woobin gratefully. "I mean, we will have kids soon, just not now; we're still a bit young and well, you know Krystal. Not that she wouldn't make a great mother, she'd be the best-"
"I know," cut in Eunhye gently

"Tomorrow we're going to get a bunny," said Woobin, and he almost sounded excited. "A white fluffy bunny with huge ears."
"Cute and much better than a cow or a pony," said Eunhye.

"So, I just called to thank you, Eunhye."
"No problem. Have fun with your new bunny!"

She turned to Jihoo, who was trying hard not to laugh. "A bunny, huh?"
"Yeah, Krystal and Woobin are getting a bunny instead of a baby." They laughed out loud.
She had the sudden and disturbing mental image of a pacifier and bib on a rabbit, and Krystal shaking a rattle. She shuddered – no, that kind of thing wouldn't happen...well one could hope....

"It's really nice to have you here like this," said Jihoo softly, suddenly serious. He reached over and took her hand gently. "I'm really glad you're here."
"I should be getting used to this place," said Eunhye softly. "And to being more with you... actually, I want to be with you more."

"Really?"
She nodded, her heart thudding.

"Do you think... you'd be with me forever?"
She didn't reply right away; she looked away a bit sad then finally smiled. "I think so."

"Eunhye..."

His tone went straight to her heart; the warmth, the patience, the gratefulness... the love.

She snuggled up to him closer, and laid her head on his chest. She could feel his heartbeat accelerating, and literally skipping a beat.

Jihoo struggled not to touch her; he wanted to put his arms around her and kiss her, but she was going at her own pace right now and he wasn't going to spoil anything by rushing things. This was the first time she came so close to him without him initiating it; there was surely progress right? She loved him and was getting more comfortable with physical contact.

Eunhye slowly sat up, and pressed a quick kiss onto his lips before burying her face in the crook of his neck. Jihoo couldn't take it anymore, he wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tightly, softly kissing the side of her head.

"I love you, Jihoo," she murmured.

He froze, his thoughts as well as actions just stopped. She had never said this to him first before, he always said it first.

For the first time, he said, while tears blurred his vision, "I love you, too."
They didn't say another word after that; Eunhye laid down with her head in his lap and he played with a strand of her hair, often making eye contact but not looking away. Eunhye only remembered how comfortable she was feeling, with Jihoo right there, she felt so looked after and loved and she remembered not wanting this moment to end. She couldn't remember falling asleep there, but she did because when the phone went off, she was still in his lap and he had his hands in her hair.

She looked up at Jihoo, he was blinking, confused, but smiled when he saw she was still there. "It's my phone," he said, her hair all over again. She nodded and her eyelids drooped; and he answered the phone. "He-"
"YAH YOU GOTTA GET HERE RIGHT NOW!!!"

He winced, and looked at the caller ID. Aish, of all people he had to deal with first thing in the morning, why did it have to be Yijung.

"What is it?"
"I'll tell you when you get here, just come!! Please please please-"
"All right, I get it," he muttered, and hung up.

Trust Yijung to call at the wrong moment. He had wanted to keep this moment intact, the memory of waking up with Eunhye right there beside him for the first time.

As though reading his mind, Eunhye said, "Don't worry, there will be lots of other times."

 

* * * *

Yijung sighed as he poured himself another drink. He must be getting old, he wasn't at a club; this was a quiet place with not many people around. Totally not his kind of thing. Maybe he should have gone somewhere more crowded, though they could be annoying, girls' attention on him would at least distract him from the hollowness that was slowly eating him up. What was he doing with his life? Just playing around... he wasn't even doing potery seriously anymore, he just didn't feel like it. Whatever he produced was ugly and deformed, just like him. He was just tired of it all...

A tap on the shoulder made him start. There was Jessica, heavily made up and scantily dressed. "What are you doing here alone?"
She shrugged. "What about you?"
He didn't reply; it was too pathet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter