Changes

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's not easy being the heiress of JK Group. Ha Jaekyung battled through constantly moving around and attending more schools than she can count, her father's paranoia that she will get kidnapped and thus has a bodyguard tail her, and even the heartbreak of a marriage of convenience – which she broke off herself. She had to – she knew that if she didn't she would just spend the rest of her life with someone who doesn't love her, even though she had come to love him...

But that was all in the past. Now, after studying culinary arts and working hard to get her father to agree, she was finally achieving her dream – she was opening a fusion cafe  in Seoul.

Korea actually didn't remind her so much of what had happened years ago. She had moved on, and she had no regrets since she had done it for her best friend and the one she loves – no, loved. She didn't love anyone now, it was something at the very back of her mind what with the hectic schedules of organizing her cafe.

Everything was perfect now. She was happy, her dream was being fulfilled, and most of all, she was living for herself – she was finally doing what she wanted to do.

Except of course, perfect lives don't exist. She should have known better...

It all started when she heard that her parents were in Seoul. Why would they come here? They were supposed to be developing a hotel in Switzerland...

Jaekyung didn't read too much into it and happily went to her family's hotel. It wasn't often she could spend time with her parents.

Unfortunately that's when they dropped the bomb on her – the same one they had dropped years ago.

"Shinhwa and JK Group have decided to merge," said Mr Ha.

Shinhwa...That made her think of that crazy heir, Gu Junpyo, her ex-fiance...

"That's good," she said. "How will it happen?"
"Your wedding was never called off," said Mrs Ha gently. "We thought, in time, you two would be mature enough and accept-"
"NO!" cried Jaekyung, leaping to her feet. "You have no idea what I went through that time! I don't want to go through it again-"
"Years have gone by," said Mr Ha. "You've changed so much – and so has he."
Tears pricked her eyes – how come Junpyo wasn't already married? With Jan Di? She had broken off the wedding, much to the wrath of her family, so those two could be together... even though she could have easily pushed Junpyo into marrying her, she couldn't hurt her best friend or him. What had happened over the years?

* * * *

 

F4 – the devilishly handsome group of four rich boys. They had ruled Shinhwa school since their elementary school days and found that they could get away with nearly everything. Gu Junpyo, of course, had taken it in the wrong direction by making it his life's mission to rid Shinhwa High School of anyone who dared defy 'the great Gu Junpyo' and those from a poor background.

He hadn't been counting on a certain poor dry cleaner's daughter to straighten out the group and knock some humanity into them. He hadn't counted on falling in love with her, either, or of going through so many hardships because his mother disapproved. She had even tried to marry him with the JK heiress who had thankfully called off the wedding. Junpyo had always thought that no matter what, he and Jandi would be together forever – things always worked out between them. Except this time she really seemed to mean it...

Junpyo still insisted in hanging out at all the old places from their highschool days. It was his way of trying to hold onto the past; the surroundings were still the same but some of the people couldn't even be recognized anymore...

Take Yijung. That playboy had gone from being out of control and seducing women left and right to settling down due to Jandi's friend Gaeul. But sometimes he slipped – sometimes he saw a beautiful woman and he couldn't help but fall back into old habits... he knew Gaeul would always take him back.

"Patience has it's limits," Jihoo warned more than once. "She can't always be the one making sacrifices – you should try to change more."

As usual, Jihoo's prediction came true.

Yijung came in with a devasted face.

"What happened?" asked Woobin.

"Nothing," he muttered.

"It's Gaeul," said Jihoo quietly.

"Did she tell you?" demanded Yijung.

"No, but anyone with common sense can figure it out. I told you she would snap one day."

Yijung sighed. "I don't know, guys... lately I feel so restless. And Gaeul... I don't know, but we both have such different perspectives. We can't even end a conversation peacefully anymore."
Jihoo and Woobin exchanged glances while Junpyo just sat there, studying his hands.

"We decided to take a break," announced Yijung. "I don't know, maybe some time apart will do us both good."

Woobin sighed. "I hope I won't end up like you..."
Yijung put his arm around his friend. "Nah, you guys are getting married! There'll be more pressure to get along-"
"You will have some troubles, yes," cut in Jihoo. "But you are both quite happy, aren't you?"
"I thought it wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter