Exposure

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I still think we should tell the police. She still hasn't confessed." Yijung sighed. "It's already been hours."
"Calm down, wait till Junpyo gets here," said Woobin.

Ginger was locked up in one of the empty rooms of Woobin's house, and she wasn't talking. Yijung had done everythin from threats to bribes to make her talk, but she just glared defiantly without saying a word.

"You got some stuff on her, right?" asked Jihoo calmly.

Woobin nodded. "Yeah. My men dug around a bit while we tried to talk with her. Apparently, life totally went downhill after she graduated from high school. Her father's company went bankrupt and last I heard, he's still on the run from loan sharks. Her mother... well, she died a five years ago. And Ginger is unableto keep a job for long, she keeps getting fired for things such as misconduct."
Yijung snorted. "She was such a brat! Always running after the four of us – sunbae this, sunbae that."
"But especially after Junpyo," said Jihoo.

"What about me?" said a voice from the entrance – Junpyo had just arrived.

Jihoo quickly explained Ginger's background.

"Hasn't she already done something similar?" said Woobin. "Remember... all those years ago, at the ski resort? Junpyo gave Jandi a necklace. Ginger stole it and told Jandi it was in the cafe up in the mountains, and Jandi went out in the blizzard to find it."
"Stupid girl," said Junpyo. "She could have waited for it calm before heading out."
"Exactly. Ginger put Jandi in danger only because she was jealous."
"Jealous?" said Junpyo. "Hey, Jandi was dirt poor and bullied-"
"She was your girlfriend," cut in Jihoo. "Ginger couldn't stand that. Don't you remember how she kept following us? She especially liked you."
"But... that was years ago! What reason would she have for pouring solvent on the stairs on purpose? What would she gain if Jaekyung had miscarried?"

Just saying that sentence out loud made Junpyo's heart stutter in fear.

"We don't know," said Woobin. "It might have been an act of pure jealousy, and if it was, then there is no logical and rational explaination."
Yijung banged his fist on the table. "I heard her! I heard her confess ok! She was talking with one of the hospital staff! She had asked him to pour the solvent!"
Junpyo leapt up, his face dark. "That's it! Where is she?"
"No, Jun-"
They tried to hold him back but he shook them off and wrenched open the door. Ginger sat in a chair, her hands covering her face.

"You." Junpyo was in front of her in two strides. He gripped the collar of her shirt and his eyes were slits of pure rage. "Why did you do it?"
Ginger shook slightly, but she whined at the top of her voice, "Sunbae! I don't know why you are all accusing me of this!"
Junpyo dragged her up and shook her. "Don't you dare lie to us anymore! We know, all right? We know what you did! And if you won't talk... that hospital staff will."
"I don't-"
"You think he will keep quiet for you? Ha! A bit of money... a threat about his son... we have ways of making people talk."
"Junpyo!" The tried to make him let go of Ginger but his grip was too strong.

"TALK!" He shook her again. "OR ELSE I WILL MAKE YOU!'

Ginger began to sob softly. "Sunbae, please! I'll talk... all right... but let go..."
Junpyo let go, his breathing heavy. The others shot him glances that said Control that temper!

"You were jealous." Jihoo's voice was soft. "Weren't you?"
Ginger had the same look a hunted animal has: trapped.

She shook her head very slightly.

"THAT'S NO REASON TO-"

"Junpyo, shut up!" ordered Woobin.

"Fine!" Ginger was suddenly defiant. "I was jealous, what are you going to do about it? I, who was the Queen of Shinhwa School, was meant to be the Queen of Shinhwa! But then that beggar Jandi came and took my place. You have no idea how happy I was when I heard they broke up. But by then, I was hiding from loan sharks because of my good-for-nothing father and I couldn't approach Junpyo sunbae. But when I could... I was too late. Another had come and stolen my position."
Junpyo was about to shout furiously but the others' glares silenced him.

"Did you really think," said Yijung. "That if Jaekyung and the babies were gone-"
"They are the only things standing between me and Junpyo," said Ginger, her eyes dilated. "If she was gone, I would have him all to myself – he'd be min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter