Marriage of Convenience

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jaekyung didn't know whether she was outraged or relieved to hear that all the wedding preparations were basically done.

"It was all planned out months ago," said Madam Kang. "Since it was already postponed once, your parents and I decided to put the date for next week."
"What?" demanded Junpyo.

"There is no point in waiting," she replied, and Jaekyung got the feeling that she was not just talking about the wedding – about Jandi too.

Junpyo had stalked out, furious, and Madam Kang had cheerfully attempted to engage her in mundane discussions such as the design for the wedding cake.

But Jaekyung could not listen.

Only a week.

How could she go through so much in just a week?

The days passed by in a blur of working frantically and finding refuge in her cafe, and occassionally going over to talk wedding plans – more like Madam Kang showing her plans. Jaekyung didn't really care what colour the invitation envelopes were so she just agreed to everything, much to her mother-in-law's delight.

"Is there anyone you would like to send an invitation to?" Madam Kang asked.

Jaekyung had travelled her whole life and never had the time to settle down and make friends. And anyway, the friends she did have were here in Korea – but there was someone who should know...

Her heart ached when she thought of him. He had been the first one to extend a friendly hand when she first started college. She hadn't been that interested at first, but for some reason he kept turning up and she knew that he was the reason why she had even started her cafe. Of course, she had wanted to, but he had given her that little nudge, "It's your dream, Jaekyung. You'll just end up regretting it if you don't."
And here she was. In order to fulfill her dream, she sold herself for the sake of business.

What would he say if he knew?

She knew that invitation would never reach him on time – it had to go all the way to America – so she took a screenshot and sent it to him, along with the message, "I'm sorry."

Six days later, just the day before the wedding, there was still no reply. That was also the day Junpyo's elder sister Junhee arrived along with her daughter Byul.

Jaekyung had almost been scared out of her wits when something launched itself at her and wrapped itself around her legs, shrieking. Junhee came running and pulled the child away, apologizing.

"I-it's ok," said Jaekyung, recovering enough to smile at them both.

"I be an amimal," Byul announced almost proudly. "A grabby amimal."
Junhee smiled. "She wants to be an actress."
And Jaekyung couldn't help but find that adorable and took the chubby little hand held out to her.

"Who dat? My auntie?" asked Byul.

Junhee nodded. "This is your aunt Jaekyung."

"Where Uncy Junjun?"
"He's working," said Junhee.

"They marry but they no togeder?"
Junhee laughed awkwardly, bid Jaekyung goodbye and hustled away the child who demanded to know whether Jaekyung and Junhee were "in lov like Dizney movies."

Jaekyung hadn't seen Junpyo since that day in the hotel. He must be even more upset than her – after all, he wanted Jandi. But then, argued a tiny part of her brain, didn't she want Minhyuk? Ok, they were friends, but it was obvious it would have become something more in a while.

She still couldn't believe it. When the wedding day arrived, she still couldn't believe it was happening – and happening to her. This was the kind of thing that happened in movies and dramas, not in real life... no, in dramas they eventually fall in love. In reality, they just remain cold and distant.

Junpyo came to see her that morning. He appeared somewhat dishevelled, as though he hadn't been sleeping well. Jaekyung could understand – she wasn't sleeping well, either.

"So it's really happening," said Junpyo softly.

"I guess so..."
There was a long pause before he said, "You know that it's not for real, right? I mean, you know I will never consider you as my wife."
A flash of anger went through her though she had somewhat expected it.

"I will never consider you as my husband," she retorted.

He nodded. "I won't pretend to, either," he said. "I won't pretend for my mother or your parents that I am happy with this arrangement."
Another pang – how selfish of him. Her parents wouldn't even be around often... She knew it was pointless to argue – Junpyo was the most stubborn person she knew.

"All right," she said. "But can we at least be friendly to each other?"
Junpyo just looked down at the ground and avoided the question. "I won't be going on the honeymoon," he said. "You can go by yourself."
The tickets to Paris were already booked. Normally, she would have been thrilled to bits to get a chance to go to Paris, but just the thought of it filled her with dread. She didn't want to go to Paris with Junpyo, not when he was so hostile, and there was something just sad about going alone – it was supposed to be her honeymoon after all...

Junpyo's face was cold – he did not care about how she felt one bit. All he cared about or was even aware of was his own feelings. As if that was surprising.

Jaekyung didn't know much about relationships, but she did know that a relationship required communicatioon and consideration. And a marriage, of all things, was the hardest relationship to keep...

But this was not really a marriage – Junpyo did not see her as his soon-to-be wife, and if she was completely honest with herself, Jaekyung had trouble picturing him as her husband. Everything was too sudden.

And Minhyuk still hadn't contacted her... she sighed and checked her phone once more, and Junhee came to tell her it was time to go get ready.

Still clutching her phone, Jaekyung followed Junhee who was raving about her gown.

She almost laughed – really, a wedding gown was the least of her worries. Being trapped in a loveless marriage was.

 

* * * *

 

Woobin liked the way Krystal held his arm as they made their way up the church steps to Junpyo's wedding.

"Hold on," she said, stopping and reaching up to adjust his tie. "There. Yah, you look handsome, Woobin!"
Woobin felt his cheeks redden. "Uh-"
She laughed, taking his arm once more. "Well? Aren't you going to say I look pretty?" she asked teasingly. "Or am I not pretty?"

Woobin gulped – she was always pretty!

"Well?" she asked. "I guess I am very ugly, huh?"
"No," said Woobin. "Actually, you are... very pretty..."
She gave him a dazzling smile that shot straight through his heart. "Aw, thanks... yah, there's your friend!"
Incredible, reflected Woobin. Krystal had only seen one picture of Jihoo and yet she could recognize him in an instant.

Jihoo and an attractive woman came up, so close their arms brushed each other.

"Yah, Woobin," said Jihoo. "Wher's Yijung?"
"He'll come later," replied Woobin, and introduced the two women. "Krystal Jung, this is Lee Eunhye. Eunhye Noona, this is my fiancee Krystal."
Lee Eunhye held out her hand to Krystal, who shook it and said, "It's nice to meet you."
Krystal glanced between Eunhye and Jihoo, who was still standing so close to her they touched.

Eunhye notic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter