Assurances and Doubts

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junpyo shook his head stubbornly. Again. "No. I will not allow that."

"But it's easier that way," Jaekyung tried explaining for the millionth time. Honestly, couldn't Junpyo get a bit less paranoid? It wasn't as though the twins would die is they were looked after by a nanny.

"I don't care," he said. "We shouldn't."
"Why not?" she yelled. "Just... why not?! Listen, Jun! I am tired of staying home all day! I need to go back to work, and so do you! You can't keep coming home early just to be with the twins, and I've been on maternity leave long enough."
"It's just..." he muttered. "I'm scared..."

Jaekyung was about to keep yelling but his tone made her freeze.

"I'm scared that we'll do to them what our parents did to us," he said softly. "My parents, at least, were never there. For as long as I can remember, I ate my meals alone. When they would get back from work, they would be too tired to play with me, or even to show me any attention. I'm scared because, what if we'll do that too?"
Jaekyung softened; honestly, Junpyo should have said that in the beginning instead of making it into a fight. Incidents like trying to talk to her parents and getting shooed away by a maid was what made up her childhood- until she learned,that is, that there was no point in asking for attention because it would not be given. She reached out and touched his arm; he looked up, nervous.

"You should have said that in the first place, Jun," she said. "I understand what you mean, and I don't want to be the kind of parent mine were, either. But we still can't stay home all day."
"We have enough money-"
"It isn't about the money," she cut in. "I can't stay home all day, Jun, it's too hard. And that cafe... it was my dream, remember? I miss it so much. And you need to take care of Shinhwa."

Junpyo took her hand, holding it in a tight grip. "Then..." he said, his eyes hopeful. "If we can't stay with them, can't they come with us? You take Joo Hyun one day and I'll take Jae Eun!"

Jaekyung tilted her head, considering it. Bringing the girls to work was definitely not a very good idea, because how much would they be able to focus on work? But maybe it would calm Junpyo down... they could try it and see how it went.

She nodded. "All right, let's do that."
Junpyo's face split into a wide smile. "Yay!" he cheered, giving her a quick kiss. "You're the best!"
Jaekyung was about to give him one in return when a loud squeal made them jump away from each other.

"LOOK!" Krystal pointed at them, mouth open.

"Yes," said Woobin, behind her. "That's Junpyo and Jaekyung."
"NO!! I know that! They were kissing! I saw them! I saw them kissing!"

Junpyo promptly cleared his throat and put on his too-innocent expression. "What? Us? Hm, were we kissing, Jae?"
Jaekyung rolled her eyes (honestly, did he really expect to fool anyone with that expression) and waved at the newly-arrived couple.

Krystal bounded over to the sofa and sat down immediately, pulling Woobin down next to her.

"You kissed." It was a statement.

Jaekyung nodded.

Krystal's eyes bugged. "Can you do it again?"

Jaekyung giggled. "Sure. Junpyo, come on-"
Junpyo whined and covered his face with his hands and Woobin said, "Come on! Junpyo, you don't like to kiss?"
"AHA!" exclaimed Jaekyung. "Krystal, can you kiss Woobin? But not a simple one, a really intense-"
Krystal giggled and Woobin grumbled something under his breath about exhibitionists.

"Serious talk now," said Krystal. "We're here for the baby-sitting!"
Junpyo groaned. "They're in the nursery. If they're awake, then you can bring them here. If not, then-"
"Got it!" Krystal leapt up and ran out of the room, closely followed by Woobin.

Junpyo sighed. "Why are they here again?"

"Krystal has a day off today and just wanted to spend some time with them, that's all."
"Why bring Woobin though?"

"I guess he wants to spend Krystal's day-off with her."
Krystal and Woobin soon appeared, each of them carrying one of the girls. Krystal kept cooing at them, and Woobin held them gently.

They sat at the couch and held the babies, Krystal going on about her bunny and Woobin played with Jae Eun, who kept flashing a gummy smile.

"They're growing," remarked Woobin. "She got heavier!"
"She's a greedy little kid," said Jaekyung affectionately. "Always guzzling away – takes after Junpyo, he's a greedy gut too."
"HEY!" protested Junpyo. "Well, Joo Hyun is super fussy, and we all can guess who that's from!"
"From you!" cried Jaekyung. "But just wait until they start teething."
"Oh yeah!!" said Junpyo. "Babies get really cranky when they start growing their teeth... I already bought some toys for when they start – you know, those hard plastic things they chew on."
"Ok good," said Jaekyung. "It's going to happen quite soon, so at least we're prepared."

Joo Hyun gurgled happily as Krystal tickled her feet, a little spit going down her chin, which Junpyo wiped off with a soft cloth.

"Oh," said Woobin suddenly. "Have you seen Yijung lately?"
"Yijung?" said Junpyo. "Why?"
"Something's really weird," said Woobin. "I don't know if I'm being paranoid but.. I really think someth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter