Obsessions

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junpyo tiptoed towards the crib. He was late and exhausted from a long day in the office. Due to the workload, Jaekyung did not let him take one of the twins since he had to concentrate and they would be a distraction. And he had missed them...

He discovered that his princesses were awake. They turned their tiny heads and rolled over and got very excited on locating him.

Junpyo picked them up and stared at their cute chubby faces. How they always waited for him to return... And how they even sense his presence without even seeing him, or him not making any sound...?

They were looking at each other, grinning.

"Hello, Ms. Gus...Did you miss your appa today?..." He swayed them slightly.

They began to giggle. Jae Eun hid her face in his shoulder and Joo Hyun touched the light bruise on his cheek where that Minhyuk had hit him... What if he had hurt them that day?... Junpyo stopped his thoughts.

"Jae Eun...Joo Hyun...How is it possible that I know you two love, and care about me, even if you haven't said anything? I can feel it from you..." He buried his nose in their hair and breathed in the familiar scent. And it seemed his daughters did the same. "So tell me how was today? What you did all day...?"

They began to babble as if they were answering him. Junpyo appeared to be listening to both of them very seriously.

Someone cleared their throat. "I'm sorry to disturb the Gus but I think it is past their bed-time now..."

He turned to find Jaekyung standing with her arms crossed and a playful smirk on her face.

He smiled back. "Give us a few minutes. We 'll be asleep soon. Right?" He kissed them soundly, making them giggle.

"No. Jun, you just had your dinner. You should go to sleep..." Jaekyung

"Oh, it's alright! They are fine with appa!" To which their happy gurgle showed consent.

She shook her head and got under the blanket and watched Junpyo putting the girls to sleep together. She did not know when she fell asleep but woke to find Junpyo beside her with their daughters on his chest. She quietly shifted Joo Hyun onto herself and the little family ventured into the land of dreams....

****

Jaekyung was signing some memos. She looked towards her right and smiled. Today she had brought Jae Eun with her. Junpyo's workload had been decreased so he took Joo Hyun with him. She had just finished talking to him; and they seemed to be having a good time. She tucked in her sleeping daughter lovingly and placed the walkie-talkie in the cot and took the other pair with her to the kitchen. A huge order had been delivered then and it required her signs.

"Ma'am, the food has been loaded in the vehicle and its closing hour...and I don't think any other customer would arrive now...So shall we put out the 'closed' sign and clean up...?" her manager asked.

Jaekyung checked her watch. "Oh yes! It completely slipped my mind! The party-order and all... okay let me assist you guys..." They smiled and began organizing.

It wasn't until later that a piercing alarm rang, and that someone discovered a strange smell, and discovered the thick smoke billowing into the rooms.

****

Junpyo was driving like a mad man. Joo Hyun was with his sister in the back, who was repeatedly yelling at him to drive safely. Junhee thanked her luck that she decided to visit them that time...or else who knew how Junpyo would have dealt with the news and the child.

They stopped in front of Jaekyung's cafe with a violent jerk and Junpyo rushed towards the gate. He pushed through the crowd but was stopped by the police.

"Sir, you cannot enter... the fire extinguishers are working..."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?? LET ME GO!!" Junpyo shouted and struggled against the hands that were pulling him back.

"But sir, please try and understand..."

"WHAT?! MY WIFE AND DAUGHTER ARE IN THERE!! JAEKYUNG!! JAE EUN!!" He was inconsolable.

By that time, Jonghyun, the rest of the F4 and the ladies arrived as fast as they could. All of guys tried to hold back Junpyo but he finally succeeded in overpowering them and rushed to the entrance, pushing through the crowd. But he was caught by the police force once he made it to the front. Through the large glass window, he could see that the cafe was a mess – chairs and tables had been upturned and the smoke had stained the light walls an ugly charred colour. His eyes fell on the employees nearby, who were being given medical medical attention.

"WHAT HAPPENED?! HOW?!..."

The manager looked up at him. "We were done with our last delivery and were closed. Some of us...were in the kitchen and some were cleaning...Ma'am...Ma'am was in the kitchen, she was in the kitch-chen with us... Wh-when we heard the... the fire alarm...it caught fire on the 1st floor..." She began to choke and Eunhye checked her vitals.

"....it spread so rapidly that we could only run out as soon as possible but ma'am didn't...She ran upstairs, which was ablaze to get Jae Eun and by that time we ran out and the firemen arrived...and..." a waitress finished for her.

"YOU LEFT...!!" His outburst was ceased by the appearance of Jihoo.

"GET A GRIP JUNPYO!! HOW COULD YOU BLAME ANYONE?! They had to save themselves..." He reprimended.

Junpyo, taking advantage of this distraction, escaped them and entered the burned building.

The guys and the officers followed him inside and he tried to climb up the stairs.

"LET ME GO!! JAEKYUNG!! JAE EUN!!"

The fire had been extinguished and the 1st floor was in debris. Two firemen climbed down with sad faces.

"We 're sorry sir, but..."

"BUT WHAT?!" Junpyo yelled.

"We could not find Mrs. Gu or the child..."

"WHAT?!" The guys did not understand it.

The officer inquired, "What? Did you see properly? The workers said she ran upstairs for her baby and there is no other way to come out..."

"We searched the entire 1st floor but it seemed they were never there... as if they have disappeared..."

 

****

 

Jaekyung had gotten in some sticky situations before. Of course, as the only daughter of JK Group, she attracted kidn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter