Life and Death

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junpyo drove. Just drove. His mind was…. blank. He could not think, feel or understand anything. Something invisible, something amorphous led him. He blinked looking at the building to rationalize what had happened, why he was there. He shot out of the car only to discover a worried Jihoo in the lobby.

 

“What has happened? Where is Jae? How are they?! How is she?! W-What…. Take me to her NOW!!” Junpyo was breathless.

“She is on the 2nd flo-…. Jun!! Jun!! Listen….!!” He could not even finish and Junpyo dashed towards the lifts.

 

Those few seconds in the lifts felt like ages. The doors opened to where Junpyo ran towards the operation theatre in front of which Jandi was standing with a teary face. Her expressions were enough to let a chill ran down his spine.

Jihoo followed him in next lift. Junpyo was looking at them eagerly.

 

“Why you look so serious? Tell me everything!!”

 

“ Jun, I was driving Eun and Jandi home. We had to pass Jae’s Café on the way to Jandi’s home when suddenly I noticed someone sitting on the dark parking lot, bend over. They quickly stopped to help and it was Jae. She was in pain. And it was not a false one. She-she was bleeding…. So we brought her immediately and called you….”

 

Jaekyung is in labour....His wife….his babies…. His life….

 

“ Since when? How?” He choked out.

 

“We don’t know. There was no one. Not even the driver.”

 

What if Jihoo was not passing by at that time….What would have happened…. 

The door opened and Eunhye exited with a troubled face. 

"How's Jae?! The babies?! wh...." He had no energy to ask the same question again and again.

"Jun. Jae's in labour and it may take quite some times as it's her first child. Her blood pressure is too low and her anaemia is making it worse. We could have gone through a C-section but her BP is not helping and it may prove fatal to 3 of them. So blood has been transmitted and just pray that her bleeding stops and BP gets a lil nomal so that the babies could be delivered safely without Jaekyung being in.... danger." Eunhye sighed and went back in after contemplating the disadvantages of her job. 

Jandi was not allowed inside as she was in an emotional phase. Junpyo turned to look at her hands and clothes. They were covered in blood splatters. Jihoo followed his gaze and shook his head. He indicated Jandi to get cleaned. She excused herself. 

Jihoo began to call everyone and Junpyo began to reflect on how everything could change in few hours.... 

Exhale. Inhale. Exhale...

The sound of his own breathing echoed in his ears and sounded panicked and ragged; he shoook his head, trying to get the sound out of his head so he could think straight. But how could he? His Jaekyung was alone, away from him, hurt and probably scared too. Junpyo longed to be able to hold her hand, see her, and tell her everything would be all right even though there was a high possibilty of things not being all right.

Exhale. Inhale. Just breathe...

He couldn't see the hallway or the people around him, he could only see Jaekyung: her smiles, the way she would call him "Junnie," the way she baked for him, the way her skin felt and how she was carrying life inside her now – and half of that life was his too. That was still incredible to Junpyo – he and Jaekyung were creating something he had never really thought of before:  2 persons. And now, their creation could have been in vain. He would never forgive himself if something happened to Jaekyung...

He hadn't been good enough to her in the past, always fighting, always finding fault, always misunderstanding... Jae, I'm sorry. Just please... please be ok. I promise I'll be better...

He couldn't hear the sound of many pairs of running footsteps, he was only aware of the people who had just arrived when someone grabbed his arm.

"Gu Junpyo!" ordered Junhee sternly. "Stop that! No, calm down, stop shaking I said! Listen, it won't help Jaekyung if you're panicked like this. You might be allowed in any minute and if she sees you in this stae she'll panic too."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter