Names

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junpyo took a fiercely protective stand over his new family. He glared daggers at poor Yijung when he tried to hold one of the babies and Junpyo insisted that he was the only one fit enough to handle such delicate beings (which brought on a round of sniggers, of course).

He hadn't really thought about either of his parents until they were home, refusing to leave the girls even for an instant to talk over the phone. But then both sets of parents descended down like a plague– according to Junpyo anyway, he didn't appreciate the girls being held and touched by so many people, and hovered about anxiously.

His mother noticed his strange behavior but thought better of commenting in the others' presence – after all, it would not do to point out anything weird about the owner of Shinhwa in front of other people, even if they were supposed to be family.

Jaekyung and her parents were engaged in a lively discussion about the children's names, and about maybe engaging a nanny. Junpyo was about to protest about that when he felt a tug on his coat sleeve. It was his mother.

"Junpyo," she said in a low voice so no one else could hear her. "Follow me, we need to talk."
Junpyo tried not to make a face and followed her out of the nursery, leaving his father with Jaekyung's parents, all of them still discussing baby names.

"What is it?" he asked, anxious to get back to his babies.

Madam Kang ignored him, and he had to trail behind her, feeling very small and suddenly childish, into her office-room. He'd been in there often enough in the past...when he had insisted so much to be with Jandi...

"Sit," she said, pointing to one of the chairs.

Junpyo sat hesitantly, and she settled herself on the opposite side.

"So," she said, and Junpyo could not make out her expression. "The children are finally here."
"Yes," said Junpyo, for lack of anything else to say. Honestly, this was a waste of time, he could have been back in the nursery!

"They're both girls..."

Junpyo narrowed his eyes, detecting the hint of disappointment and disapproval in her voice. So this is what it was about...

"So what if they are girls?" he asked.

Madam Kang looked him squarely in the eye. "I was under the impression that this... unnatural pregnancy was all for the sake of having an heir. Instead, there are two girls! Have a boy next time, please – you can't imagine how disappointed I was when Junhee was born -"

"DON'T!" said Junpyo in a raised tone, leaping to his feet. "Do you think this is the right thing to say? How could you be disappointed at your own daughter..."
"We are the Gu family," said Madam Kang sharply. "It is duty-"
"Duty should not come before humanity," cut in Junpyo. "Do you have any idea how happy I was before you arrived? I wanted a daughter, so much, and I got two of them! And now my own mother is calling them a disappointment..."
"You've always been unreasonable," sighed his mother. "Tell me, is it because of Jaekyung? I thought she would be better than Jandi but her idea of the unnatural pregnancy proved that she-"
"Don't you dare," said Junpyo in a low voice. "I mean it. Don't you dare say another word against my wife."

Madam Kang gave a nasty little laugh. "You wouldn't even impregnate your wife, so don't behave in such a way-"
"What do you know?" demanded Junpyo. "What do you know about our relationship? Nothing! To you, a couple is doing well only if they sleep in the same room. You don't understand the things that come in between. So don't talk about things you don't know anything about if you don't want to come across as ignorant."
Madam Kang's eyes flashed with anger but she couldn't get a word in, Junpyo wasn't done yet. "If you dislike my daughters and my wife, then don't see them. Rather than suffer at your hands – because, yes, you know how to make a person's life misreable, don't deny it! - I'd rather not see you. So... if you can't change that attitide, please don't appear before my wife and children."
Madam Kang seemed to have lost the power of speech; she regained it only when Junpyo had stormed out of the office.

Junpyo exhaled deeply, still feeling that burning anger burning deep within him. His mother.... no, Madam Kang, how could such a person be considered a mother.... she had this coming to her for a long time. First that mess with Jandi, her disapproval and disappointment with his girls! He knew that she had often made Jaekyung feel ashamed about her pregnancy and he knew that she had pushed Jaekyung to seduce him back when he couldn't even look at her...

Madam Kang had no business in this house anymore. All she did was ruin relationships, and he was not going to allow her to poison Jaekyung with her thoughts about their daughters.

A sudden noise made him jump – someone had bumped into something, but quickly scurried away. Junpyo curiously turned the corner but no one was there. Maybe it was one of the maids...

He shrugged, and made his way to the nursery. Jaekyung wasn't there, but her parents still were.

Both girls were lying down, their eyes shut and tiny fists clenched. Junpyo one of their cheeks softly with his thumb, and he found his anger melting away.

 

****

 

Madam Kang had only been there for a day, yet she had created so much damage. Junpyo refused to allow her to be in the same room as the babies, which schocked Jaekyung's parents. His father, however, said nothing – he knew his wife well, but he refused Junpyo's request that they leave.

Madam Kang took his behavior out onto Jaekyung in return. "Such a pity it was a waste, isn't it, dear? Next time, why don't you get a surrogate mother, it would save you a lot of trouble."

Junpyo saw how Jaekyung kept her eyes downcast, trying to force down the hurt. He tried to talk to her, but she retreated to her room every time and just pushed him away, leaving him feeling empty and inadequate.

Please tell me what I've done, he silently begged outside her shut door. Please, Jae. I miss you...

On Madam Kang's second day there, Jaekyung stormed into Junpyo's office and yelled, "Get your mother out of this house!"
Junpyo got up hurriedly. "What happened?"

"She... she's throwing a huge party, Junpyo! Tomorrow night! For the babies and celebrating their names or whatever-"
"What?" demanded Junpyo. "She can't do that-"
"Well, she did it! The invitations were already sent and everything is ready! I can't go to a party!" Her voice shook a little at the end of that sentence.

"Why not?"
"Look at me! How will I fit in a dress? I'm still a whale – a fat, ugly, blubbery whale!"

"No, Jae, no," said Junpyo. "Listen, you're still beautiful-"
"I am not!" she yelled. "I'm fat, ok?"
"I don't find you fat and anyway, I see nothing wrong with you-"
"Then you're blind," said Jaekyung shortly. "And listen, we have more important things to argue about."
"Such as what?" asked Junpyo. Convincing Jaekyung that she was prfect just the way she was seemed pretty important to him – all right, her body was maybe softer and a little larger than it was before but that didn't matter, she was perfect just the way she was.

"Their names," she said. "How can we have a naming ceremony or party or whatever without their names?"

"You're right," said Junpyo. "Umm... I guess I didn't tell you before but...I've kinda been looking into names..."

Her face flickered with surprise. "Junpyo..."
"Ummm... are you mad?"
She suddeny smiled. "I've been doing the same."

He gulped, suddenly nervous for what he was about to say next. "I kinda... have a name already that I really like..."
"I have one name already, too," she said softly. "So... shall we each name one?"
"Ok," Junpyo agreed. "Except if one of us doesn't like the name, we can change it."
"Deal. You go first."
"Ok so... the name I like is Jae Eun..."

"Jae Eun," repeated Jaekyung. "It has a nice sound to it."

"Do you like it?" he asked anxiously, relieved when she nodded.

"OK so... I was thinking of Ju Hyun, and-"

"I love it," he broke in with a big fat grin. "Jae Eun and Ju Hyun. Beautiful names for our beautiful girls."

Jaekyung gave a small laugh. "You know, I heard that people spend ages trying to find a name they both like, but we were pretty easy, no?"

Junpyo entwined his fingers in hers, and she didn't pull away. "That's because we are amazing."
She laughed. "Oh gosh, you're so lame."
"I know."

Jaekyung suddenly removed her hand and looked away. Junpyo's heart stuttered and he didn't try to touch her again.

They stood in awkward silence; it seemed to go on for ages. He longed to break it, but maybe that would make Jaekyung hate him. But finally he couldn't tak it anymore.

"That was easy," he said with a little laugh, breaking the silence at last. "At least the girls have names now – maybe we would have kept procrastinating otherwise right?"
Jaekyung nodded, finally shooting him a little

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter