Confrontations & Confusions

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaekyung looked at the calender on her phone and sighed. She still couldn't believe it had been a whole year she and Junpyo got married. Everything about the wedding was so abrupt and sudden, a whirling mess in her mind. She wondered if he even remembered....not that she expected anything but still...He left early that morning, leaving her a note reminding her to take food and meds on time. But no mention of their anniversary. She felt both babies kicking her and tenderly rubbed her bump and left the room only to face Junpyo for the first time that day.

They looked at each other and quickly looked away, both too shy to say something but struggling to find something to say. A maid interrupted their trail of thoughts to inform them that the guests were waiting for them. Junpyo glanced at her beforeoffering his am; Jaekyung felt her face heat up for some reason and took it after a second's hesitation. The doors of the ballroom opened and were blinded by the flashes of cameras. Jaekyung took a deep breathe and prepared herself for the facade of the night.

Jaekyung had to greet each person. The party would be over in some time and she could not talk to Junpyo the whole day. Both of them were dressed in black - and she had to admit he looked very handsome. All the ladies gushed over her bump and she tried her best not to yell at them for their indecency to touch it without her consent. When she knew she was going to blow up soon, she spotted Minhyuk standing in a corner watching her closely. Now she was even madder and walked to him angrily. "Wow! Why didn't you greet me? When did you arrive?"

He looked at her and smirked. "Why? I meet you almost every week.... So why do I need to greet you today?" His voice was more sarcastic than teasing.

Jaekyung huffed, "It's our anniversary party!"

His smirk turned into a sneer. "Yes. I know. It also reminded me that I've been here for a whole year as well.... But tell me.... Is today worth celebrating? Are you happy? If you are, then I'll congratulate you...."

Jaekyung had nothing to say to that. Was she happy or not? Musingly, she went to the table where the rest of her friends were, and when she turned around, Minhyuk was gone. She shook her head and paid attention to the scene in front instead; there was no need to have more mixed feelings then necessary.

Jessica was talking about kisses which was turning YIJUNG red! Her words were getting him 'weirdly' affected. But the most weird thing was the clear jealousy on Gaeul's face who shoved a lot of food in and began to choke....

But nothing could compete with Krystal and Woobin's flushed face.


 

Krystal had fierce determination on her face. Jaekyung asked Eunhye, who was fighting to keep a straight face, what was going on with Krystal.

Eunhye cleared . " She's preparing for a dance face off. She was challenged on her wedding day but had to behave. But today the person is at the party and they are coming to a conclusion now. Plus 98% of the guests are gone so.... "

Jaekyung raised her eyebrows. She turned to see Junpyo join them. The last of the guests were gone and by Lady Kang's smug expression it seemed "her" party was a huge success.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

She looked at him and nodded.

He tilted his head towards Krystal. "What's going on? Krystal looks like she's gonna run a race or something...."

She told him about the dance off.

He whispered back. "Here? Now? Must be someome very skilled and competitive! Krystal's a good dancer, no? "

"Must be.... Bin looks tensed, Jonghyun oppa is also here...."

Before she could finish Yijung in a mocking serious voice announced the arrival of the challenger.

Junpyo looked here and there. Jaekyung pointed him downward and his eyes fell on the person.

Krystal was having a dance face off with Byul.... They didn't know whether they should laugh or cry. Little Byul compete with Krystal?

They stood face to face. Their height or age difference did not bother them at all. It was a very fair and dedicated competition which became the highlight of the mundane evening. Woobin looked at Junhee and Jonghyun, embarassed, but the high spirits was infectous and he joined n the laughter. Because really, how many times can anyone witness a serious dance off between a 3 year-old and a 23 year-old?

Finally the night came to an end with Byul winning, Krystal sulking and Woobin pacifying her, claiming her being the only winner for him.


 


 

****

Junpyo watched the exchange between Jaekyung and that slimy Minhuk with narowed eyes. He saw how she turned away, distressed and confused, and longed to go punch that guy and yell "Stay away!"

That whole evening, Minhyuk kept shooting him these mocking glances and it took every ounce of self-restraint not to go pick a fight with the other. He avoided the other on purpose, maybe he could get through the evening safely this way. But of course Minhuk had to find him on his own, after Byul had won the dance off and Junpyo had gone to get his coat.

"It's funny," mused Minhyuk.

"What is?" asked Junpyo sharply.

Minhyuk sniggered. "Earlier, I asked Jae whether she was happy. It's funny, a whole year has passed by and she still doesn't have an answer to that. Don't you think she should be happy by now? Not that she could be, with you. Have you ever made her laugh?"
That was it. He forgot all the promises he made to himself not to react, he couldn't take it anymore – and how dare the other call her "Jae?" And please, Junpyo had made her laugh so many times.

"Shut up," he ordered, clenching his fists. "Don't talk about things you don't know."

"Sure, I don't know. I don't know that you two sleep in seperate bedrooms -"
"That is really no business of yours," cut in Junpyo. "What's it to you anyway?"
Minhyuk smiled. "Don't you know? I love Jaekyung. I know that every time she's with you, she's thinking about me."
"In case you haven't realized, she's married. For a year now, move on! And you're talking ot her husband-"
"I don't view you as her husband. I know she'll come to me, just give it some time."
"She's not that kind of woman."
"She deserves to be with a man who loves her."
"She is. There's a man who loves her."
Minhyuk snickered. "Don't confuse your feelings! You have an attachement because of the babies, don't fool yourself! What do you know about love anyway?"
"I know better than to not hang around, giving her pain. I know I should let her live her new life and not mess with her head, and support her instead of confuse her. Giving up when you know it's time... that's love too."
"You know nothing," hissed Minhyuk.

"I didn't know before... it can grow, from sharing and hating and fighting and adjusting. It's not forced... it just comes." He turned to Minhyuk. "That's why I want you to quit hanging around her and messing with her. She's married to me now, you're too late, there's no point in trying to create what was never meant to be. You can never-"
"Shut up!" shrieked Minhyuk, and Junpyo gasped with pain as he was punched on the ribs. "Jaekyung is mine, you hear me?"

"This is why you'll lose in the end," said Junpyo.

For a second, he thought Minhyuk was going to hit him again; his eyes were wide and wild, his mouth pressed into a thin line and every bit of him portraying aggression.

"Junpyo?" called a voice, and Minhyuk quickly calmed down.

Junpyo pushed him back and went out to embrace Jaekyung.

"What brought this on?" she asked, surprised.
"Nothing," he muttered, knowing Minhyuk was listening. "It's just... I didn't get to see you much over there, I missed you!"
"I missed you too," she said. "Can we go home now? I'm tired."

"Let's go," he said, slipping his arm around her to support her.

As they left, he quickly glanced back and couldn't help but feel slightly triumphant. Jaekyung had said she missed him... beat that, Minhyuk!


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter