Chapter 27

Heed the call of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 27

 

 

“So Sana was like, she didn’t understand what was going on.” Alex laughed as she rolled on her bed. She was talking to Mina over the phone about what Sana told her just a few minutes ago. 

 

“She must’ve been surprised. Anyone would’ve been.” Mina replied.

 

“Yeah I know. They should just be thankful that Sana was the one who saw them.” 

Sana called Alex earlier, her voice high pitched than usual. She ranted about how she saw Nayeon and Jungyeon kissing each other. She was going to pay Nayeon a visit, thinking that the latter was alone, but when she opened the door, she just had to witness it.

 

“Right.”

 

The short answers and hoarse voice from the other line caused Alex to worry. “Mina, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I am. Why?”

 

“I just thought that— never mind. Nayeon better tell me the whole story tomorrow.” Alex glanced at the time, “I need hang up now, I’ll call you back.”

 

“Okay, bye.”

 

 

The sudden continuous knocks on Mina’s window alarmed her, causing her to stand up from her bed and slightly peeked through the curtains, only to see Alex, with her hands turning red from holding tightly onto the pipe.

 

Mina quickly opened her window, letting Alex in. “What are you doing here?” Last time she remembered Alex swore that she was never going back through that window again.

 

From head to toe, Alex inspected Mina,“I knew there was something wrong.” Mina in pyjamas, messed up hair, and eyes that barely opened tells her that Mina is sick. She couldn’t have just woken up when it’s already 10 in the morning. “Why didn’t you tell me you were sick?”

 

“I didn’t want to worry you. This is only a cold, don’t worry.” Mina sat at the edge of her bed, trying to hide the dizziness she was feeling from standing up abruptly. 

 

Hearing Mina’s reason, Alex crossed her arms. “Tch. You can’t just tell me to not worry about you.” She suddenly covered , thinking that Mina’s parents must be home and they might hear her. “Are your parents around?”

 

“They’re working,” Mina plainly said, still trying to keep her surroundings from spinning around.

 

Alex clapped her hands, “Oh. Good. What do you want to eat? I’ll cook you something.” She took out her phone and started searching for recipes for the sick,

 

Mina giggled, “No need, I can just ask the maids to cook for me.”

 

“I’ll cook for you. You know how great of a cook I am.” Alex flipped her hair, pretending to boast.

 

“Yeah right, if you insist.” Mina gave up, knowing Alex wouldn’t stop until she gets to do what she wants. “You know where the kitchen is right?”

 

“Yup.” Alex headed for the door when Mina said, “Oh and don’t worry about the maids, they won’t say anything to mom or dad.”

 

Alex turned around and smiled, “That’s a relief. I’ll just go down first.” She made her way to the kitchen, reading the recipe she saw.

 

With the help of the maid, Alex was able to find the ingredients she’ll be needing, although there was one thing she needed to buy.

 

“Mina, I’ll just go to the grocery for the red rice,” Alex informed.

 

“Mmm…”

 

There was a grocery store just near Mina’s house, which was very convenient for her. She was quick to find the red rice, but unfortunately, there was a long line on the cashier. Alex figured that maybe it was because it was Saturday, which means that most of the people are out grocery shopping. She didn’t have any choice but to wait in the long line.

 

“OH MY GOD HE’S A THIEF!” A high pitched voice echoed, and pierced through Alex’s ears as she was near the girl who screamed. Alex realised that the girl was pointing behind her. 

Alarmed, Alex looked behind her and saw a guy wearing all black with a mask that covered half of his face. Stunned by what’s happening, Alex could only stand as she watched the thief, who looked like he was about to pull something out. 

 

“AND HE HAS A KNIFE!” The same girl once again screamed, making the bystanders move further away. It alarmed the security guard and the people so the thief tried to run away, pushing Alex down the floor. Fortunately, the guard was quick to capture the thief, with the help of some of the customers. 

 

The girl immediately came to her and helped her up. Alex stood up and picked up the red rice she bought, before dusting off her shorts.

 

“Are you okay?” The girl asked. Alex though that her voice is sweet when she’s not shouting. Her voice was distinct but cute at the same time.

 

“Wew. That was close. I owe you big time.” Alex said as she fall in line once again. The girl had left her line and was standing beside Alex, giving off a radiant smile, that Alex couldn’t help but smile as well even after what had happened.

 

The girl stared at Alex for a while, before shaking her head. “You can repay me if you like,” She started off, twirling the strands of her hair.

 

Considering how the girl helped her, Alex nodded immediately. She wasn’t one to take everything for free, as much as possible she doesn’t want owe anyone. “Sure. Definitely. Since you somehow saved my life.” She laughed.

 

“How about we talk this over a coffee or anything you like?” Pursing her lips, the girl looked at Alex with full of hope. An image of a chipmunk suddenly flashed on her mind, making her snicker for having those thoughts.

 

“I can’t right now. I have to get back, someone’s sick so…” Alex said, remembering that Mina needed her. She didn’t want to keep mina waiting, especially when she’s sick.

 

A pout formed on the girl’s lips. “Oh. Well then how about later?” She asked, tilting her head. Cute, adorable, and fluffy wreath words that came to Alex’s mind and she doubted that the girl in front of her is older than her. 

“Umm… I don’t think I can—-“

 

“Tomorrow!” The girl cut her off.

 

“Okay, tomorrow.” Alex nodded. “I’ll just see you around.” She then placed the red rice she bought on the counter.

 

“Wait!” The girl called, making Alex glanced back at her questioningly. “Phone number.” The girl handed Alex her phone, which the latter took and saved her number in. Alex also gave her phone for the girl to type her number. 

 

“Alex…” The girl read Alex’s name from her contacts, nodding as if approving.

Alex smiled before turning back to pay for what she had bought. 

 

“And Oh!” The girl called once again, causing Alex to turn around. If only the girl wasn’t as cheerful and bright as she is, Alex would’ve ignored her. But she didn’t want to ruin the smile on the girl’s face so she had to stop.“Yes?”

 

“You’re really pretty.” 

 

“Umm… thanks?” Alex suddenly felt bashful after being complimented by a stranger. “Umm… I think you’re cute.” She complimented, although she wasn’t sure if she said the right thing. She was weirded out by the girl but she feels giddy at the same time.

 

 

Alex always wanted a cute little sister, and meeting the girl earlier, it made her long for a little sister even more. She just really finds the girl adorable and pure. If she can adopt her as her little sister, Alex thought, she would. The girl was able to paint a smile on Alex’s face that was quite hard to wash off.

 

“What took you so long?” Mina asked. She was worried that something might have happened. She was supposed to call Alex but her phone died and she couldn’t find her charger.

 

Alex, who just finished cooking and was carrying the red rice congee she made, heaved a sigh unconsciously, “The line was so long and I almost got my wallet stolen.”

 

“What?!” Mina sat up straight, hoping nothing bad happened, but seeing Alex alive with no scratch or anything, made her feel relieved.

 

“Yup. Thankfully, someone noticed it.”

 

“You didn’t get hurt, did you?” Mina asked, just to make sure.

 

The last thing Alex would want is for Mina to worry about her when she’s sick. “Nope. No worries.”

 

“Thank god.” Mina took the food Alex made and started eating.

 

“Now stop worrying about me, and instead worry about your health.”

 

“Yes mom,” Mina teased, earning a light flick on her forehead.

 

A knock on the door halted the conversation of the two. 

“Mina?” Mina’s mom, who they certainly didn’t expect to be knocking on the door right now, called, twisting the doorknob.

 

“Oh my god,” Alex harshly whispered as the adrenaline started rushing in. She looked around the room for possible hiding place, but figured that there was no time to run to the bathroom or the closet. Not knowing where to hide, she quickly slid under the bed, right before the door opened. 

 

The slow creaking of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter