Chapter 23

Heed the call of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 23

 

 

Alex looked at jennie, confusion written all over her face. Then she suddenly made an O shape with , hinting jennie that she understood. 

 

"That's right! Why are you calling me babe?"  She crossed her arms, trying hard to act serious.

 

Mina looked at Alex, then at jennie, then back to Alex again, before laughing awkwardly. "Ha! I see... that's really funny. On a more serious note, I'll go call the doctor now." 

 

Alex laughed before letting mina go her way. 

 

A scoff was heard coming from Jennie, making Mina halt her steps and look back. ”Wait. You haven't answered me yet. And did you just say that what I'm saying is funny? Do I look like I'm joking?" Jennie felt offended that Mina is taking whatever she’s saying as a joke when she’s very serious right now.

 

"Yah. Stop it jen. You're making mina uncomfortable." Alex let out a laugh, weirded out by how jennie is acting. 

 

"What do you mean stop it? I'm serious lex. Why wouldn't I be when your best friend is calling you babe?" Jennie was getting worked up, her head started to pound but she wouldn’t let it bother her.

 

"Jen it's not funny anymore. Cut it out,” Alex said seriously this time.

 

"Do I look like I'm joking, lex? Tell me. Who says I’m joking?” 

 

Nobody answered, not knowing what was happening in front of them.

 

"Now, why did you call my girlfriend babe?" Jennie turned her attention back to Mina, who stood there, completely confused of what was happening. She doesn’t know whether Jennie was just taking her acting to a whole new level or she’s really serious. Mina hoped that it wasn’t the latter.

 

Before anyone can say something the doctor and nurse came in for the afternoon check up, and was surprised to see the patient sitting, looking like she’s about to swallow anyone who pisses her off. The doctor cleared his throat, before walking up professionally to the patient. 

 

"Lets just talk about this later. Get your check up first." Alex whispered, patting Jennie’s shoulder. She couldn’t think clearly as she was taking in the conversation that had happened earlier. 

 

Alex went out with Mina, leaving Jennie and her mother, who haven’t said a word, with the doctor.

 

The couple just stared at the door after exiting, not a word was exchanged for a couple of seconds, before Alex took a deep breath and broke the silence. “What just happened?”

 

“I don’t know either.” Mina shook her head.

 

“I mean, I know Jennie, and I can say that she really does look serious about it, but it doesn’t make any sense! Unless she’s pranking me. If that’s the case, I swear she’s dead meat after she gets discharged.” Alex gritted her teeth, the idea of Jennie laughing inside thinking that she has fooled her made Alex glare at the door. There was a sudden and brief feeling of nervousness earlier when she was standing beside Jennie, when she thought that maybe, just maybe, her best friend is serious.

 

The doctor came out a minute later, cutting off the couple’s conversation. 

“Umm… Can we ask how’s the patient’s condition?” Mina asked. Her girlfriend was too shy to talk to the doctor first so Mina had to step up for her.

 

The doctor gave off a smile, making him look approachable than most of the cold professional looking doctors. “She’s fine, although she still needs to stay for at most a week for the check ups.’’

 

“Oh… Are there no, like, complications or something like that going on in her brain?” Mina tried looking for better words in her vocabulary but she couldn’t think of anything to make it sound better.

 

“What do you mean?” The doctor chuckled, thinking that the students in front of her are acting cute. His smile gave off a fatherly vibe, making it a lot easier for Alex to confront him.

 

“Earlier,” Alex looked at Mina, as if asking if she should continue, which she got a nod, “We were talking, everything was okay, until the part where Jennie says that I’m her girlfriend. I’m just confused. I’m not sure if she’s joking or not, but it doesn’t look like so. Is there something wrong with her?”

 

The doctor squinted his eyes, trying to think the situation over. “Let’s see… We have to conduct further check ups before I can say if there’s something wrong with the patient, whether her memory was damaged or not.”

 

“Whether her memory was damaged?”

 

“From what I see it, or heard rather, those kind of cases, like what you’ve just told me, involves damage of a certain part of a memory, but we’ll have to see after the check up.”

 

“Okay, thank you very much.”

 

The doctor nodded, before proceeding to walk off while examining the paper he was holding.

 

“What am I supposed to do?” Alex looked over other girlfriend, asking for help. The whole situation was just confusing her mind.

 

“Just go with the flow for the meantime, before we find out on what’s happening.” Mina suggested, which got a weird look from Alex.

 

“You mean, you want me to pretend that Jen and I are like…?” Alex didn’t know what has gotten to Mina. Normally Mina wouldn’t suggest that idea since she’s one to get jealous easily. Alex had actually thought of telling Jennie the truth, and thought that Mina was going to support it, but what Mina said is making her think twice. She couldn’t just decide on it alone.

 

Mina breathe out before looking at Alex. “I feel like it’s not right to drop the bomb right away. I mean, your best friend thinks that she’s your girlfriend, and then you’ll suddenly say that you’re not. Don’t you think it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter