Chapter 4

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

A month has passed and Aron, along with Ren's father, went to the capitol to drop Aron off so he could continue school and start training to be in the guard.

"Do you want to stay at my apartment or at the dorms?" Chanyeol asked Aron as he went through the tedious process of registering him as a trainee. "Dorms for now, unless they don't accept animals," said Aron. Chanyeol looked at the receptionist, who shook her head no. "Alright, my apartment," he said, checking outside housing on the housing list.

"When's Ren coming?" Asked Aron. "Next year, he's only 2 years younger than you," said Chanyeol. "Mm," mumbled Aron as he signed the papers. He had no parents, but Chanyeol was his guardian so he let Chanyeol finish up the paperwork. "What made you come here anyway?" Chanyeol asked once he was done with the registration. Aron shrugged. "Ren talks a lot about you," he said. "I wanted to see what life was like as a trainee, and eventually as a guard," he said.

"Let's go get lunch, and you can meet everyone," Chanyeol said, leaving with Aron. Baekhyun was waiting outside the building for them, and walked by Aron's side down the capitol streets towards the market district. Ren's father met them at Chanyeol's apartment. "Hi brother," said Chanyeol. "You coming to lunch with us?" He asked. Chanyeol's brother shrugged. "Nah, I need to hurry home," he said. "Just came to say goodbye, and I'm bringing Ren next year," he said, before leaving.

Chanyeol shook his head and turned to Baekhyun. "We'll bring food for ya," he said. Baekhyun wagged his tail and sat down. Chanyeol smiled and Aron pet his head before they walked out of the apartment and towards the market district.

Kyungsoo met them at the same restaurant that they went to after they took a break from working on the electricity. He had brought another trainee with him, since school was out early today.  "Who's with you?" Asked Chanyeol. "This is JR," said Kyungsoo. "I'm the unofficial leader so I took him under my wing," he said. JR nodded in greeting.

Chanyeol eyed JR for a straight minute before smiling and nodding. "Welcome to the trainee life, this is my adopted son, Aron," he said, introducing him to Aron. JR held out his hand and Aron took it, giving it a shake. "I'm Aron," said Aron. "JR," said JR. "Let's get lunch," Chanyeol said before he walked into the restaurant. Aron, JR, and Kyungsoo followed after him.

Chanyeol sat down with Kyungsoo sitting beside him. Aron sat in front of Chanyeol and JR sat in front of Kyungsoo. "So, what's school like here in the capitol?" Aron asked JR. "There's the obvious groups of people, then there's the trainees," said JR. "It's just me, Minhyun, and Baekho," he said. "Not a lot of younger trainees this year," he said. Aron nodded. "I'll be joining you, along with my friend Ren," he said. "I'm staying at Chanyeol's place because the dorms don't allow pets," he said. JR nodded. "I'm moving in with Kyungsoo, my parents approved it," he said. "I never liked the dorms," he said, sighing some.

A waiter came to take their order. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol ordered their usual while Aron ordered a soup and JR ordered a steak. The waiter left to get their order done, and brought out to them. "What ever happened to your brother?" Asked Kyungsoo. "He gave the excuse of wanting to get home quick," said Chanyeol, who sighed. "Mm," mumbled Kyungsoo.

Aron shook his head. "Ren's dad didn't want me coming to the capitol, but I made the final decision since I wasn't officially registered under his family," he said. "Mm," mumbled JR. "Why did you want to go into training to be a part of the guard?" Asked Aron. "My parents recommended it," said JR. "I was going to travel, but it'd be after my mandatory military service as a soldier for a year," he said. "My parents said it'd be better if I did this, so I signed up," he said. Aron nodded. "That's good, at least," he said.

"What are the other trainees like?" Asked Aron. "Minhyun's quiet, but he is a loyal friend," said JR. "Baekho is a shapeshifter, but he keeps to himself a lot," he said. "He's a good friend though," he said. "He's just not used to being around people," he said. "Hm," mumbled Aron. "I wonder how my companion would act around him," he said, his head tilting to the side. "Animals hate shapeshifters," he said, when JR gave him a questioning look. "What companion do you have?" Asked JR. "A wolf named Baekhyun," said Aron. JR nodded. "I guess we'll see," he said. "Mm," said Aron.

The waiter came back with their food and everyone starts eating. Chanyeol studied Aron as they ate. Aron glanced at Chanyeol, his head tilting to the side. "Nothing," said Chanyeol, who smiled some.

They finished eating and Chanyeol made sure to grab an order of steak for Baekhyun. He went to pay for the lunch and walked out with Aron, Kyungsoo, and JR. "I'll see you later I guess?" Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo. "Yeah, you gotta take Aron to the training grounds later right?" Asked Kyungsoo. Chanyeol nodded. "Alright, see you there," said Kyungsoo before he left with JR.

Aron turned to Chanyeol with a questioning look. "It's something I do," Chanyeol said, shrugging before he walked back to his apartment. Aron followed after him. "You stare at people?" He asked. "No," said Chanyeol. "Chen was studying you," he said. "Oh," said Aron. "People don't usually notice," said Chanyeol. "I'm a pretty observant person," said Aron. "I wouldn't be as good with archery as I am now if that wasn't the case," he said.

"How do you summon your orb? Ren just has to hold out his hand and it appears," he said. Chanyeol shrugged. "It appears when something comes up, or it appears with a snap of my fingers," he said. "Ah," said Aron. "Ren can only summon his when holding out his hand because he hasn't chosen his god yet," said Chanyeol. "Ah," said Aron.

They soon reached Chanyeol's apartment and Chanyeol gave Baekhyun the order of steak and let Aron settle in for the next couple hours.