Chapter 17

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

A week later came Chanyeol's funeral, since Jongdae and Krystal had to take time off their work to go to the capitol. Ren didn't want to face his father in case his father would try to convince him to come home. He was filled with determination to at least become part of the guard.

The funeral was over now, as Kyungsoo himself made a hole in the ground to put the casket in. It wasn't completely empty, it had some of Chanyeol's possessions in it. Jongdae put his hand on Ren's shoulder. "I'm not stopping you from joining the guard," he said. "It's your choice, good luck to you," he said. Ren nodded. "I will make you proud," he said. Jongdae smiled.

Kyungsoo covered up the hole and stepped back, bowing his head in respect. Ren broke down as he fell to his knees in front of the gravestone. Jongdae stayed for a while, paying his final respects. After a while he put a hand on Ren's shoulder trying to comfort him before he left with Krystal. Kyungsoo, Luhan, and Yixing left shortly after, wanting to give Ren some time to grieve. Baekho, Minhyun, JR, and Aron stayed, for Ren's sake.

Time seemed to freeze for Ren as he heard a voice behind him. "Ren," said the voice, which sounded familiar to him. Ren turned around and blinked, gasping. "Kris!" He said. Kris smiled. "Looks like I came at a wrong time," he said, looking at the grave stone. Ren nodded, turning back to the grave stone.

"I wanted to ask, since you finally have your own orb," said Kris as Ren turned around again, looking surprised. "I am a god Ren," said Kris as he put his hand on Ren's shoulder. "I want to serve under you," he said. "I am the great dragon Kris, the embodiment of fire and I have chosen to be in your orb," he said. "Do you accept?" He asked. "I-I... Yes!" Said Ren. Kris smiled, and a light surrounded them both before it faded, leaving Ren alone with his orb floating in front of him.

Ren was still shocked as he tried to find words. He turned, looking back at the grave stone. "This is your last gift to me isn't it?" He asked after a couple minutes. "Thanks uncle," he said, reaching out to brush his hand against Chanyeol's name on the gravestone.

Aron came over after a few minutes, and put his hand on Ren's shoulder. "Done grieving?" He asked. Ren turned to Aron and hugged his best friend. "Yeah," he mumbled, sighing before moving back. Aron smiled some. "Come on, Luhan wants to continue training you," he said. Ren nodded, holding his head high. "We'll make them proud, I know it," he said. Aron nodded and they left the graveyard, heading to the training grounds.