Chapter 18

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

Months passed since Chanyeol's funeral, and Luhan took Chanyeol's place in training Ren. Ren was more confident in his abilities now, with Kris by his side.

"What's your story with your god?" Luhan asked one day as they took a break to drink water. "Kris was the one who led me to Aron a couple years back," said Ren. "I didn't know his name then, but I met him again later, before I left the capitol to head home with Aron," he said, looking towards the archery range, where Aron was helping JR with different stances while drawing back the string on the bow. "He told me his name and said that he would meet me again later," he said, smiling some.

Luhan nodded. "I met Xiumin when I was running out of EXO," he said. "He came to me as a polar bear and I freaked," he said, chuckling some. "Jongin and Yixing were both confused, but when I summoned my orb and saw it was different from my first one, I knew it was my time to get my god," he said. "I don't know what the story was with Chanyeol, I wish he was here to tell you," he said, sighing. Ren offered a sad smile. "It's alright," he said.

"How are you guys gonna pay for rent now?" Asked Luhan. "I don't know," said Ren. "You guys can come live with Yixing and I," said Luhan. "Does your place allow for pets?" Asked Ren as he turned to where Baekhyun and Baekho were having a spar. Baekho promised to keep his claws retracted, and Baekhyun needed to learn to fight against predators in case he needed to.

"Well, we live at the dorms," Luhan said, scratching the back of his head. "Ask Kyungsoo," he said. Ren nodded. "We'll manage something," he said. "How come you guys haven't moved out of the dorms yet?" He asked. Luhan shrugged. "I guess we were saving for a house," he said. "After we left the guard anyway, we were thinking of moving out to the countryside," he said.

"Anyway, come on, you're getting better," said Luhan as he stood. Ren nodded and continued his training with Luhan.

A couple hours later saw the trainees gathered together. They were catching a small break, while Luhan was talking to Kyungsoo about their next plan of action. Yixing had wondered over to them, deciding it was time to train Ren in the basics of the medical field.

Luhan thought it would be a great idea to combine both his and Kyungsoo's spells to try and test how well the trainees worked with combined attacks, so they went with that.

Aron worked with Baekho and Baekhyun to dodge the attacks, with JR and Minhyun going in on a counter attack. They wanted to test their teamwork, and this was how they would do it. Ren joined a little later, with a quick briefing from Aron.

Luhan smirked. "It looks like it's a battle of the elements," he said. Ren grinned. "Well, let's see how we do," he said, summoning his orb. Aron nodded to Baekho who returned to human form and had put some shorts on. "Let's do this," he said. Baekho grabbed some training knives, which were made of wood, and Minhyun and JR went into full close combat mode. Aron grabbed a training bow and a quiver of arrows and got ready.

"Go!" Said Luhan as he immediately launched an attack, with Kyungsoo not too far behind. It was up to Ren and Aron to create a distraction, as they both worked together to distract Luhan and Kyungsoo while Baekho and Baekhyun attacked together. JR and Minhyun waited for their chance as Luhan and Ren went head to head, with Kyungsoo trying to distract Aron, but became preoccupied with with Baekhyun and Baekho attacking.

Minhyun and JR attacked next, as Ren successfully distracted Luhan. Aron launched some arrows at Kyungsoo, as Baekho finally pinned him, holding the wood knife to his throat. Baekhyun stood in front of Kyungsoo, growling. "You're down," Baekho said with a smirk, before letting Kyungsoo go and going after Luhan. Baekhyun continued to growl, keeping Kyungsoo from trying anything.

Minhyun and JR were careful as they attacked Luhan, their combined attacks distracting Luhan from Baekho as Ren and Aron launched their own attacks. Luhan was soon pinned, with Minhyun holding the wooden sword to his throat. "Good job," Luhan said, slightly out of breath.

Aron put down his bow, while Ren's orb went to float beside him. Baekhyun wagged his tail, walking over to Aron. Minhyun backed off, smirking. "All that teamwork training really paid off," he said, bumping fists with JR and Baekho. "JR we'll need you for long range next time we do this," said Aron. JR nodded. "Gotta be prepared right?" He asked. Aron smiled, before nodding.

Aron and Ren decided to call it a day, waving to their friends before heading home with Baekhyun at Aron's side. "I'm glad we don't have to worry about rent yet," mumbled Ren. "Chanyeol already did his work during the summer, we'll see what happens next summer," he said. Aron nodded. "We'll find a way," he said. "Gotta save the money from the hunts now, a little bit each month until next summer," he said.

~

Yixing stood in front of Jongin's gravestone after putting flowers in front of it. He fell to his knees as he started sobbing, wishing he had his friend back. "I knew we should've done something," mumbled Yixing. "If Luhan wasn't so damned determined to train Ren at the time, you'd still be alive," he said. "I don't want to be that person," he said. "I don't want to blame Ren, he's a kid," he said. "I hope with time, I can forgive him," he said, brushing his hand against Jongin's name on the grave stone.