Chapter 25

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

Kyungsoo and Luhan were called to the throne room a couple weeks later, the messenger, who happened to be Ren, said that the queen had a mission for them.

Ren and the others stood to the right of the queen, looking confused, but said nothing. They knew what this was about. Taemin didn't exactly leave on a good note, and was still lurking around.

"I have one last mission for you both," said the queen when Luhan and Kyungsoo stood before the throne. "The information is here in this envelope," she said, standing and walking up to Kyungsoo and giving him the envelope. Kyungsoo and Luhan nod, before walking out of the throne room.

"Well this is unexpected," said Kyungsoo as they went to pack and get the supplies for their journey. "I swear to all that's holy if we have to go and try to assassinate Taemin..." Grumbled Luhan as they reached Kyungsoo's apartment. Kyungsoo checked the paper in the folder and sighed. "Yep," he said. "Damn it," said Luhan. They packed lightly, and headed towards the gates.

"What do you think of the new guard?" Asked Luhan as they were walking through the market district. Kyungsoo smiled. "I like them, I'm glad we were able to see those 5 get appointed," he said. Luhan nodded. "I don't think Ren would've lasted long if he hadn't been picked," he said. "He was so determined, I'm glad he got picked in the end," he said. "In the words of Chanyeol, they grow up so fast," said Kyungsoo, as he chuckled some.

They reached the main gates, and Kyungsoo turned to Luhan. "Do you think your orb can lead us to him?" He asked, as he tilted his head to the side. Luhan summoned his orb, and it came to float in front of him. "Well?" He asked it, just as it darted forward. Luhan and Kyungsoo ran after it, and Luhan took into account that it was towards the northern borders.

After a couple days of travelling they reached the northern borders, pausing to look at the path that led into the mountains. "He's somewhere in these mountains," said Luhan as the orb came to float beside him. "Wait, what's his god's name?" Asked Kyungsoo as he turned to Luhan. "Kris... Oh wait," he grumbled, slapping his forehead. "Hopefully Ren has a grip on Kris, this is going to get troublesome," he mumbled. Kyungsoo nodded, and they headed up the path and into the mountains.

They didn't get far, as they were attacked immediately as a ball of fire was launched towards them. "Duck!" Yelled Kyungsoo as he put up a wall of earth. Luhan managed to duck before he could be burned to a crisp as they heard a roar. Luhan quickly got back to his feet as he launched ice spears at the dragon that was now flying towards them. Kyungsoo made spikes come out the side of the mountain trying to distract the damn thing. "It's Taemin! Careful Luhan!" He said as Kris dodged around the spears, maneuvering to swoop down and slash at someone.

"Watch out!" Said Luhan as he dodged out of the way. Kyungsoo managed to duck in time before he was slashed in half but he felt the pain as he was slashed pretty deeply just above his left eye. Kyungsoo felt his body drop, a groan escaping his mouth as he tried to sit up. Luhan rushed over to his friend, wondering what he could do to help. "Hang in there Kyungsoo!" He said, shaking his friend slightly. He felt the ice at his fingertips as he closed the wound with with ice to at least stop the bleeding. "Stay with me!" He said turning when he heard another roar. He put up a wall of ice in time to stop himself from getting burned to a crisp.

The flames started pushing him back as Luhan struggled to stay in one place, looking towards his friend. "Kyungsoo!" He yelled, hoping Kyungsoo could at least stop him before he fell off the mountain. Kyungsoo tried to focus on what was happening as he struggled to stand. He heard his name being called and managed to put up a wall of earth behind Luhan before he could fall off the mountain. He finally managed to stand, wiping the blood away from his eyes. He could see, kind of. At least he wasn't completely blind as he made a earth spear shoot out of the ground towards the dragon.

It caught the dragon off guard before it could launch a fire ball at them again as Luhan rushed over to Kyungsoo, cursing at himself for not learning how to draw out the healing magic from Yixing before he died. "You alright?" He asked. Kyungsoo nodded. "Y-yeah," he mumbled, leaning against the wall. "You're not blind at least, stay in there alright?" Asked Luhan as the dragon landed. Kyungsoo managed a nod before they both heard a familiar voice to them.

"Well, they sent you after me? This must be a special occasion," Taemin said with a smirk as he hopped off of the dragon's back. "Kris, back in the orb," he said, summoning his orb. The dragon roared before it faded, returning to the orb. "Is this a battle of the orbs?" Asked Taemin as he withdrew his sword from the sheathe on his back.

Luhan launched an attack at Taemin, trying to distract him as he prepared for an ice spear. Taemin quickly dodged, as ice spears shot out of the ground. Taemin laughs as he jumped over the spears, landing in front of Luhan and swinging his sword. "No!" Yelled Kyungsoo as he stuck Taemin's feet in place. It didn't stop the sword from going into Luhan's stomach and coming out of his back however, as Luhan coughed up blood. "Pathetic," said Taemin as he twisted the sword causing Luhan to scream out in pain as he sent fire into the sword, burning Luhan from the inside. Taemin removed his sword, and Luhan collapsed, clutching at his stomach trying to at least patch up the wound with ice.

"You're going to die Luhan, there's fast acting poison in the blade," Taemin said with a smirk. "Go back to the capitol you pathetic scum," Taemin spat at Kyungsoo. "I have some unfinished business with the queen," he said, summoning Kris again. He climbed onto the dragon's back and with a roar Kris took off, flying towards the capitol.

Kyungsoo struggled to walk over to Luhan, openly sobbing now. "I-I'm sorry..." Mumbled Luhan as he coughed up more blood. Kyungsoo fell to his knees beside Luhan, trying to stop the bleeding. "You have to stop him..." Gasped out Luhan before he went still. Kyungsoo sobbed, closing Luhan's eyes and opening a hole in the ground for him. He put the body in before covering up the hole. "Damn it!" He yelled. In his exhausted state he didn't realize that he was causing a rock slide. He accepted the death that was coming though, because he couldn't go back. He was too tired...

~

Taemin came in the middle of the night, knocking out any of the guards and killing those who tried to stop him. He took the queen, tying her up and making sure she stayed quiet as he left the capitol on Kris's back just as an alarm sounded.

"I dare you to come after me!" Shouted Taemin as Kris flew north, heading back to the northern borders. Luhan tried one last thing as he watched from the spirit world. He had to, as Xiumin roared, causing the entire kingdom to turn into a frozen wasteland, a blizzard lasting for weeks.