Chapter 16

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

Chanyeol and the others didn't sleep very well that night, neither wanted to face what was coming that morning, but ultimately if someone had to die they had to choose.

Daehyun came to get them sometime after lunch, his expression unreadable. "The king requests your presence in the throne room," he said to Chanyeol when he opened the door to the room he was staying in. Chanyeol nodded and went to get the others, following Daehyun into the throne room.

Luhan and Yixing both froze when they saw who was sitting on the throne. "You are dismissed," said Tao as Daehyun bowed before leaving the throne room. "I never thought it'd be you that'd end up at the throne," Luhan said, bowing his head. "It certainly has been a while you two," Tao said, standing and walking over to them.

Chanyeol tried to keep the questioning look from appearing on his face as he tilted his head slightly. "I know you are here for negotiations," said Tao as he studied Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. "I will let my citizens go, if you agree to let one of your own die here," said Tao. "It has to be someone from your kingdom, not any of your refugees," he said.

Yixing wanted to be the one, but it was Chanyeol that spoke up. "I'll do it," said Chanyeol as he stepped forward. Kyungsoo looked surprised. "Are you sure? But... Ren," he said softly. "It's alright," said Chanyeol as he turned to Kyungsoo and the others. "I can't teach Ren anything, it's up to Luhan now," he said, looking down. He summoned his orb, which came to float in front of him.

He could hear Chen's growls in protest, as he turned to Tao. "They are free to leave here afterwards right?" He asked. Tao nodded. "Then I accept this death," said Chanyeol. He held his hand out and his orb fell into his hand. He held it for a second, before passing it to Luhan. "Take care of it," he said, as all went silent in his mind. Luhan held the orb in his hand before it suddenly disappeared. Luhan summoned his orb and it was now a mixture of Chanyeol's and his own. He nodded, too shocked to speak.

"Bring in Daehyun please," Tao called, and Daehyun walked into the throne room with a sword strapped to his back. "Chanyeol has chosen to die, someone the others out please," said Tao. Another guard member led Luhan and the others out of the room. Luhan turned to Kyungsoo once they were out of the room and shoved him against one of the pillars. "Why the hell did you not volunteer?" He asked, looking pissed. "I-I was too shocked to speak!" Said Kyungsoo. "I didn't want to be stuck with the burden of training Ren!" Said Luhan. "Not since Jongin's death," he said, quietly. Kyungsoo sighed. "It's done, we can't do anything about it," he said.

Daehyun came out of the throne room about 10 minutes later, with the official pocket watch in his hand. "You may need this," he said, giving it to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo nodded, and clutched it in his hand. "I've been told to you to the border, I'm sorry about this," said Daehyun. "It's alright, we knew someone was going to die here," said Luhan. Daehyun nodded and they left the palace to get their stuff before heading out of the capitol and towards the northern border.

"Good luck, I hope I won't have to see you again after this," said Daehyun as they arrived at the border a couple days later. "Hopefully," said Kyungsoo before they crossed over into their home kingdom. Luhan finally broke down, falling to his knees as he started sobbing. "Damn it Chanyeol!" He said, punching the ground. "We have a promise to keep," said Kyungsoo as he put a hand on Luhan's shoulder. "Screw the promises!" said Luhan as he shoved Kyungsoo back. "I'm tired of everyone dying because we made a promise to live," he said, standing. "There is no guarantee to live or die," said Kyungsoo. "We all knew that when we joined the guard," he said. "Ren's going to be so broken after this mess," mumbled Luhan. "Let's go," he said, and they started walking again.

~

Ren was in school a couple days later, listening to his teacher drone on and on about the lesson. Minhyun, Baekho, and JR were with him in class, since Aron was two years ahead of them. He was suddenly startled by an orb appearing in front of his desk, and he noticed it wasn't his, or rather the one that Chanyeol had given him. Minhyun turned to look at it, looking confused. "Something's wrong," mumbled Ren as he stood. "I need to be excused," he said, before rushing out the classroom. Minhyun, JR, and Baekho rushed out after them, with their teacher protesting. Aron was in the hallways, having sensing something was up.

"We got to get to the gates! I think uncle Chanyeol and the others are due back today," said Ren, as he rushed passed Aron. Aron ran after him, with Minhyun and the others close behind. They arrived at the gates, rushing passed people and food carts just as Kyungsoo and the others arrived. Their teacher, who had been behind them chasing after them, had stopped before bowing at Kyungsoo and the others. "Welcome back, I'm sorry, the kids got out of hand," said their teacher.

"Where is my uncle?" Asked Ren as he went up to Kyungsoo. Luhan noticed the new orb, and looked down. "I'm sorry Ren," he said. "No..." Mumbled Ren as he slumped to the floor. "He promised!" He said, as he started sobbing. "He promised to be here when I got my orb!" He said, punching the floor. Aron went to comfort his friend, Minhyun and the others looking shocked. "Can I have his pocket watch?" Ren asked after a few minutes as he looked up at Kyungsoo. "I'll ask the queen about it, but we have to return it as evidence," mumbled Kyungsoo. Ren nodded, and moved out of the way.

"Back to class now, we'll see you at the training grounds after school," said Luhan before they walked passed Ren and the others. "Come on," said their teacher. Ren reluctantly walked with everyone back to the school. News of the recent death quickly spread across the school and everyone let Ren and Aron off easy on most of the things they had to do in class. Minhyun, JR, and Baekho weren't so lucky, but they put the effort in to help their grieving friends.

~

"The meeting went well I assume?" Asked the queen as Kyungsoo entered the throne room with Luhan and Yixing behind him. "Yes your highness, but we lost Chanyeol in the negotiations," said Kyungsoo as he held out the pocket watch that belonged to Chanyeol. "His nephew wishes to have the pocket watch your highness," he said. "We need to save it for the funeral," said the queen, who sighed. "But after the funeral you can give it to him," she said. Kyungsoo nodded and handed her the pocket watch before leaving the throne room with Luhan and Yixing.