Chapter 24

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

The time came for the guard placements, and everyone was nervous. Ren voiced how nervous he was, but Luhan and Kyungsoo had assured him that everything would be fine. The queen would pick the right person, whether it be them or not.

Luhan and Kyungsoo took their place to the left of the queen, their expressions blank as to not give away their thoughts. Ren, JR, Minhyun, Aron, and Baekho were in separate rows, with Baekhyun sitting in front of Aron.

The queen herself made an appearance, causing everyone to go quiet. "Fellow trainees," she said, walking up to the podium. "It is that time again, where the next guard will be chosen," she said. "I'm sure that you are aware of Luhan and Kyungsoo training the younger trainees, but it is more of a test," she said. "They've been through so much through out the years, with the loss of three guard members," she said.  "It is time, to choose the next five," she said. "Do not be mad if you are not chosen" she said. "Be proud for those who I have chosen," she said, before stepping down from the podium.

Kyungsoo got the honors of giving the queen each pocket watch, while Luhan held the box in his hands, keeping it in Kyungsoo's reach. The queen walked down each row of seated trainees, until she came across the first person to be chosen. "JR," she said, offering a warm smile. "Your leadership has kept the younger trainees together through all the tough times," she said. "Not only that but you trained hard to keep your skills on par with the others," she said. "I welcome you to the guard," she said, handing JR the first pocket watch. JR looked stunned, but quickly stood and bowed, going to stand in his place to the right of the podium, with the other trainees cheering and clapping.

The queen continued to walk down the rows of trainees, coming to a stop in front of the next person to be chosen. "Aron," she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You are a great archer, and great hunter," she said. "Your skills have proven to me that I was right to put you down as an official hunter, and your companion has proven to be sticking to your side until you give him the command to follow someone else," she said. "I welcome you to the guard," she said, handing Aron the pocket watch. Aron stood bowing, with Baekhyun bowing by leaning on his front paws. They both head up to the podium to stand beside JR, the other trainees cheering and clapping.

There was just three rows left, and three people left. Ren shifted uncomfortably in his seat in the last row, but he was still happy for his friends. He let out a deep breath he didn't know he was holding when the queen walked up to the next person to be chosen.

"Minhyun," she said, coming to a stop in front of him. "Your skills in sword fighting has always kept you at the top," she said. "You remain undefeated to this day, and your strategic mindset has you changing strategies frequently when sparring to catch everyone off guard," she said. "Welcome to the guard," she said, handing him the pocket watch. Minhyun stood, bowing before walking up to stand beside Aron.

No one had expected the next person to be picked. Being the only shape shifter since Jongin died no one expected Baekho to be picked, but when the queen walked up to him everyone gasped. Ren smiled, happy for his friend. "Baekho," said the queen as she gave him a reassuring smile. "You were chosen not because of the trouble you have with your shifting, but because of your determination to not make it a weakness," she said. "You learned to be an adept fighter in human and animal form, just like Jongin had," she said. "I welcome you to the guard," she said, handing him the pocket watch. Baekho stood, bowing and walking up to stand beside Minhyun.

Ren looked nervous as he fidgeted slightly in his seat in the back row, the trainees around him giving him dirty looks. He was sure that the last person wouldn't be him, but he was still determined. He needed to be, he was sure that his uncle was there watching him from above, with Yixing and Jongin. His breath caught in his throat as the queen came to a stop in front of him, the pocket watch she had in her hands being the exact one that Chanyeol had owned.

"Ren," said the queen as she put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You have seen so much death through out your years as a trainee, and yet you stayed strong," she said. "You went through three guard's funerals, one of them being your uncle," she said. "And yet through all that you remained determined, determined to make it into the guard, even if it wasn't my personal guard," she said. "Kyungsoo himself came to me asking if you could have Chanyeol's pocket watch, and I said no at the time," she said. "But this is well earned, I welcome you, to my personal guard," she said, handing Ren the pocket watch. Ren sat in stunned silence for a few seconds before he quickly stood, bowing before the queen and walking up to his well earned spot beside Baekho.

All the trainees stood, cheering and clapping their hands welcoming the new guard. The queen walked back to the podium with Kyungsoo and Luhan going to take their place to the left of the podium.

"Thank you, for all your hard work," said the queen as it went quiet. "Do not think that just because you didn't make it into my personal guard, that you don't deserve a spot in the castle guard, or the guard for the capitol," she said, before leaving the room and going to the balcony that overlooked the capitol, Ren and the others following after her. There was already a crowd gathering, all the trainees shouting for people to gather around to see the new guard. Kyungsoo and Luhan went down to the front of the palace, waiting for the official announcement.

"Citizens of the capitol," said the queen as she stepped forward. "I welcome you, the new guard!" She said as fireworks shot out of the ground. Everyone cheered, happy for the newest members of the queen's personal guard. Ren and the others stood proud, knowing that this achievement was well earned.