Chapter 23

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

Graduation was coming up, and Aron promised to be there, though Ren didn't hold it against him if he didn't make it. JR and the others had managed to graduate a year early, but Ren decided to stay the last year, and finish school on a strong note.

Kyungsoo and Luhan kept training to a minimum for Ren, since they wanted him to focus on his studies, but JR, Baekho, and Minhyun were worked to the ground. Aron was cut some slack, but when he was in the training grounds he worked with JR on his archery.

"Come on!" Said Luhan as he dragged Kyungsoo over to the high school. "We're going to miss it!" He said. Kyungsoo grumbled as he was dragged along but ran with Luhan. This was Ren's big day, and it would take the world to end to miss it. "And you're supposed to be the most mature out of all of us?" Joked Kyungsoo as they made it to the high school. "Shut up," Luhan said, playfully shoving Kyungsoo back. They entered the auditorium, quickly finding seats next to JR and the others. Aron had managed to make it today, with Baekhyun by his side.

Ren sat in his seat, trying not to fidget nervously as he looked around the auditorium, looking for his friends and mentors. When he finally saw them his mood brightened significantly, and he sat up straighter. He just had to wait now, though he wished his parents were here to see his big day. He promised to send graduation pictures, courtesy of Kyungsoo managing to snag a camera to borrow for the big day.

One by one the students were called up to get their diploma, and as it got closer to Ren getting his he tried to look confident, proud even. When it was his time to walk up, everyone in the auditorium cheered. It was no secret that he was a trainee for the guard, hell everyone cheered when Aron walked, same thing happened when JR, Minhyun, and Baekho had walked to get their diplomas. The amount of support that Ren had almost had him in tears. He bowed in front of the person giving him his diploma before walking back to his seat, diploma in hand and looking prouder than ever.

The valedictorian gave his speech, something Ren drowned out easily. He was just jumpy, wanting to get out of the auditorium to meet up with his fellow trainees and friends. When everyone threw up their graduation caps everyone cheered.

Aron, Baekho, JR, Minhyun, and Luhan tackled Ren when the new graduates made it out of the auditorium to meet up with their families. Baekhyun barked excitedly, wagging his tail. He stayed by Kyungsoo, who shook his head in amusement, taking a group picture once the group separated long enough for Kyungsoo to take a picture.

"This is where the training gets real intense," said Luhan as he called a meeting with the younger trainees. "The ceremony for the new guard is in exactly one month from now, we will work everyone to the ground every single day," he said. "If everyone else was here..." He shook his head not wanting to think about it, "we would've had each person individually train you, but since that isn't the case anymore we'll be doing it together." "Don't be afraid to ask us to stop if you can't train anymore and need a break, but from now until next month we will train everyday," said Kyungsoo. "Aron are you able to make it to the training?" He asked. Aron nodded. "The queen let me have the month off to train for the guard ceremony," he said. "Good, we continue tomorrow," said Kyungsoo. "Let's celebrate!" Said Luhan before he left with Aron, JR, Minhyun, Baekho and Kyungsoo. "I'll meet up with you guys later, I need to stop by the cemetery," Ren called after them. Luhan turned back and nodded. "Take your time Ren," he called back.

Ren was left alone with Baekhyun as he stopped back at his apartment that he shared with Aron and Minhyun. He changed clothes and smiled at the group pictures they took when everyone else graduated. He let out a deep breath before heading to the cemetery with Baekhyun. 

"Hey uncle, Jongin, Yixing," he said when he arrived at the three gravestones. He noticed fresh new flowers on each and smiled sadly. "Looks like I was beaten to the punch," he said putting flowers down in front of their respective grave stone. "I graduated today, you would've been so proud of me uncle," he said. "I hope you three are there watching over us when guard placement comes up, I'm nervous," he mumbled, brushing his fingers along the three names. "I'll be back next week, it's time to celebrate," he said, petting Baekhyun's head. He spent another few minutes in silence before leaving, going to meet up with the others and celebrate.