Chapter 11

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

Chanyeol kept a close eye on Luhan, making sure to take whatever free time he had to go observe Ren's training. Ren was getting better with the ice spear, and Luhan slowly started integrating other ice spells into the training, this time making sure he had Chanyeol's approval.

Chanyeol was busy at the power plant once again today, and Luhan thought it was time. "Jongin," he said in greeting when Jongin walked over. "It's time for him to start targeting people isn't it?" Asked Jongin as he studied Luhan's expression. "Mm," said Luhan as he nodded. "I hope you know what you're doing," said Jongin as Yixing walked over. "I do," said Luhan. "It's whatever right?" He asked, turning to Yixing. "It's still a bad idea," said Yixing. "Chanyeol still doesn't want him targeting anyone until Ren gets his god," he said. "Screw what Chanyeol said, I think he's ready," said Luhan.

"Let's go," he said, before walking to Ren's hometown. Yixing and Jongin followed after Luhan, both feeling apprehensive.

Ren was running late, having just finished classes that day. He ran home to drop his stuff off, before rushing to the training grounds, his orb floating behind him. He wouldn't understand until later, that if his orb appeared by itself that something big would happen or just happened.

"Hi Luhan!" He said as he made it to the training grounds. He was slightly out of breath as he leaned against a tree. Luhan smiled, and noticed that Ren's orb was already summoned. He thought nothing of it and shook his head. "What am I doing today?" Asked Ren. "I want you to target someone today," said Luhan. "You think I'm ready?" Asked Ren. Luhan nodded. "Okay," said Ren.

"Who am I targeting?" He asked Luhan. "Me," said Jongin as he walked over. "Won't you get seriously hurt?" Asked Ren. "Don't worry, I heal fast, plus Yixing can heal anything too serious," said Jongin. Ren nodded.

"Okay, I want you to start with the ice spear," said Luhan. "Remember to keep your concentration up," he said. Ren nodded, and concentrated. He felt the ice at his fingertips and moved his arm back, before throwing his arm forward, an ice spear appearing and thrown into a tree. Luhan nodded in his approval. "Okay, now I want you to do the same thing, but target Jongin," he said. "Remember to concentrate, you won't hurt him too much because you'll have the spear extremely dull," he said.

Ren nodded and went back to concentrating. As soon as he felt like he was ready he moved his arm back, throwing it forward towards Jongin. An ice spear appeared, crashing into Jongin and sending him back into a tree. Jongin struggled to stand, coughing a bit. Yixing went over, but Jongin waved him off. "I'm fine, give me a few minutes," he said.

Ren was hesitant, his head tilting to the side. After a few minutes, Luhan had him concentrate. "Alright, this time when you go to use your ice spear I want you to slam your hand into the ground," he said. "It'll cause the ice to come out of the ground like this," he said, doing exactly what he was saying to do as multiple ice spears came out of the ground. "Keep the concentration up a lot on this one, and it won't hurt anyone," he said.

Ren nodded, closing his eyes to calm down and bring up his concentration. He took a deep breath and felt the coldness at his fingertips again. He then slammed his hand into the ground, sending multiple ice spears through the ground. They all heard a snap and then Jongin collapsed. "Oh no," said Ren, running over to Jongin. Yixing rushed over, trying his best to keep Jongin alive until medical attention came.

"I'm sorry Jongin!" Ren said, looking panicked. "It's alright kid, we all have to go sometime right?" Asked Jongin as he coughed up blood. "I'm not letting you die on me!" said Yixing. Luhan was freaking out as he paced back and forth, not knowing what to do.

Chanyeol saw that his orb summoned by itself as it came to float in front of him. "What is it?" Asked Kyungsoo. "Chen?" Asked Chanyeol. Get to Ren's town. NOW, came the reply from Chen. Chanyeol looked panicked, then quickly excused himself from the power plant, stating it was a family emergency. Kyungsoo followed after him as they hurried over to Ren's home town.

"Damn it Luhan!" Yelled Chanyeol as they came upon Yixing who was still trying to keep Jongin alive. Kyungsoo ran over to see what he could do while a shell shocked Ren just slumped against a tree with his head in his hands. "I told you not to have him target anyone, but did you listen? NO," Chanyeol said, shoving Luhan against a tree. "This is what happens when you don't god damn listen to me," he said, punching Luhan in the face.

"Let me die," Jongin said, coughing up more blood. "It's alright Yixing," he said. "It's okay," he said. Yixing was openly sobbing now as he stopped trying to keep Jongin alive. "Keep training the next guard, we have to keep that promise..." Mumbled Jongin before he took his last breath and went still.

"I'm sorry Yixing! I'm so sorry!" Ren said, sobbing as Chanyeol went over and scooped up Ren in his arms. "Shh... It's alright Ren, it's alright," he said, holding his nephew close.

Kyungsoo shook his head, and went to Luhan. "You idiot," he said, kicking Luhan down and then kicking him in the side. Luhan just collapsed, not bothering to fight back.