Chapter 22

The Lost Story of The Last Guard [An EXO Fanfic]

The funeral happened a week later, with both Luhan and Ren sobbing throughout the service.

Kyungsoo once again opened a hole in the ground, with Baekho, Minhyun, and JR moving the casket into the ground before Kyungsoo recovered the hole. Luhan had the honors of putting the pocket watch on the gravestone, and everyone let him grieve. Ren stayed for a few minutes before he left, Aron taking him home. Minhyun, JR, and Baekho left a little after, after giving Luhan reassuring pats on the shoulder. Kyungsoo had been the only one that stayed, for Luhan's sake.

"We have to continue the legacy," Luhan said, turning to Kyungsoo. "I know," said Kyungsoo. "And we will, we will make it to the next guard placement," he said. "We made the promise as a group," he said, putting a hand to Luhan's cheek to wipe a stray tear away. "Just be careful," he said. "We can't have you ending up like Taemin, and we need to keep an eye on Ren too," he said. Luhan nodded.

"Come on, we need to go make sure the younger trainees are alright," said Kyungsoo, before walking out of the graveyard. Luhan hesitated, turning back and brushing his fingers against Yixing's name on the gravestone. "I hope you're happy now," he mumbled, before running to catch up with Kyungsoo.

~

That's how it was the next few years, Luhan and Kyungsoo poured everything into training Ren and the others, while Ren, JR, Minhyun and Baekho worked to finish school.

Ren no longer had that childhood innocence around him, it had been ripped from him when Jongin died, but the determination to make it into the guard helped him from straying into the insanity that grief sometimes drove people to.

Aron had matured, though when asked if he wanted to become the leader he refused, giving the excuse that he wouldn't make a good one anyway. That and he spent most of his time out of the capitol, the queen assigning him as an official hunter, as a test for his skills. Sometimes Baekho and JR went with him, only to let Baekhyun get some rest. The pup was no longer a pup, but that was okay. Ren kept Baekhyun company as Ren worked with his archery.

JR had become the leader, he offered to since he was more or less a master at everything. Except magic. Though he knew some tricks from Ren, Luhan, and Kyungsoo, he didn't wield an orb like Ren or Luhan. His sword fighting was on par with Minhyun now, though his archery still lacked. He worked with that the most now a days, to get better.

Minhyun and Kyungsoo still sparred, to keep his sword fighting sharp, and sometimes he double teamed with Kyungsoo to spar against JR. He wasn't one for showing his skills, but he was still proud of his achievements. His tactical mindset proved perfect for combat situations, as he often helped JR with formations.

Baekho was still frustrated at his shifting, but he was glad his tracking got better. His skill with knives became better as he sparred with Minhyun when JR was working with Kyungsoo. He was also careful when sparring with Baekhyun, since he didn't want to hurt their favorite pup.

Kyungsoo and Luhan were proud for the younger trainees, now there was still about 25 other people ready to also take the tests to become official. They weren't too worried, but wished Ren and the others luck. "I'm sure it'll be them," said Kyungsoo. "They worked harder than anyone else I've seen," said Luhan. Kyungsoo nodded. "We'll have to prepare for the ceremony, even if it's a couple months from now," he said, before heading to the palace. Luhan followed after him after taking one last look at the training grounds.