EP : 9

At The Point Of No Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator POV

After a series of left and right turns the sun had disappeared behind the mountains as Hyungwon continued to navigate through the worn out roads with his high beam lights. 

“Okay, stop!” Ara directed and waited for the car to fully pause before unbuckling her seatbelt. 

Cutting off his engine, Hyungwon glanced at his surroundings. It was a street with many broken lamps. From the few that worked, he saw locked down food stalls and old brick buildings with paint chipping off the doors. Needless to say, his white Porsche didn’t blend in at all with his surroundings.  

He wasn’t really sure where Ara had brought them but the entire time, he couldn’t tear his eyes away from the ancient structures. Hyungwon didn’t even realise that she had left until he felt the car shake when the door closed. 

Bewildered, he quickly opened his door and got out.

He watched as she let herself into one of the shops. Contemplating for no more than two seconds, Hyungwon’s feet shuffled after her. 

“Halmoni!” 

He was barely at the door when he heard her voice. It was so cheerful so… unlike her. 

“Aigoo! What are you doing here? I told you to rest.” 

The sight in front of him immediately warmed his heart. He didn’t think that Ara could ever look so… small. He always thought she was a glacier and now he was witnessing her melt in an older woman’s arms. 

“Of course I’d come,” Ara smiled, “Haraboji is sick, there is no way you can get the store ready for tomorrow alone.” 

“I’m so lucky to have you,” Halmoni chuckled ruffling Ara’s hair affectionately before she glanced up spotting Hyungwon, “Looks like you’re not the only guest.” 

At that, Ara turned around and met an awkward Hyungwon. She was surprised. She honestly thought that he’d drive away as soon as she left the car so she hadn’t expected him to follow her inside at all. 

“Mind introducing us?” Halmoni asked. Her eyes never left the handsome boy.

“That’s Hyungwon,” then Ara looked at him, “This is my Halmoni, she’s also my boss.” 

“It’s nice to meet you,” Hyungwon spoke formally then bowed. 

Halmoni guided him further into the shop, “Aigoo you’re so well mannered. Ara never brings anyone else here except Shownu.” the crinkles appeared when she smiled, “You can call me Halmoni just like Ara.” 

“Nae H-Halmoni,” Hyungwon let the word roll off his tongue uncertainly but he felt better as soon as he saw the old lady’s smile. 

“When Ara phoned me saying she wouldn’t be able to work as much because of a new job I told her to not worry about me and my old partner but she insisted,” she spoke gratefully. 

“You’re both such sweethearts to come in this late and help me unpack.”

Unpack? Hyungwon scanned the place and noticed a stack of cardboard boxes in the middle. 

“New shipment comes in on the last Wednesdays of every month,” Ara quickly explained, “I need to help Halmoni lay them out so um, thanks for driving me here, you don’t need to stay –…” 

“It’s fine, I’ll help,” Hyungwon offered surprising her again.  

Truthfully speaking, he didn’t have anything better to do. He was looking forward to returning home as much as she did so why not stay out longer when he could? Also this new side of Ara he was discovering was a lot more presentable than the cold one back at the house. 

“You two are darlings,” Halmoni gushed, “Wait here. I’ll go and make some tea.” 

Ara tried to stop her saying there was no need to create a hassle but the old lady was persistent and disappeared into the back room. 

Hyungwon took in his surroundings trying to imagine the bubbly Ara working in this tight space. It was probably tiring but she was probably happy. 

“You really don’t have to stay,” Ara took out an exacto knife and sliced open a box.

He watched her take out a pair of vintage jeans and attached a sticker before folding it neatly. 

Ara’s hands stopped moving when she sensed someone’s presence behind her back. He was so close to her that she tensed up when her shoulder blade felt the faint brush of his chest. 

It was only a few seconds but it felt like eternity. She looked at him and saw that he had reached over to grab a shirt from the box before mimicking her previous actions. 

A light blush crawled up her cheeks and she bit her lip embarrassed for having the wrong thoughts. 

“Did I do this right?” 

“H-Huh?” she willed her cheeks to turn back to normal. 

Hyungwon held up the shirt, “This is what you do right?” 

“Y-Yeah,” Ara nodd

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter