EP : 18

At The Point Of No Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator POV

The car ride was quiet.


There was no other word to describe it. It wasn’t awkward because Wonho was too smooth for that. Even if he was planning to shut her out, he still threw in comments and winks at the right times just because he was Wonho. He couldn’t control himself around Ara. When he was around her, he’d want to chatter nonstop and see that smile on her face.

Last night he tried to keep himself away from her at the bar but no matter how many girls he was with, he still found his mind lingering on her.

As for Ara, currently her mind was preoccupied by the wedding to really pay much attention to the male next to her.

Her mother was getting married… again.

By now, she should have gotten used to it but Ara only felt sour.

The shrill of a phone call cut through the silence.

“Hello?” Wonho activated the blue tooth in his car but because he didn’t have an ear piece, the call basted through the vehicle’s speakers.

“Oppa! Are you good for tonight?” a girl’s voice flowed through the car.

“Huh? R-Right,” Wonho cursed at himself. What was wrong with him, he never stuttered so why was he picking up the habit now?

The female giggled, “Great Oppa, I bought this new lingerie set and it’s your favourite color –…”

“Can’t talk, I’m driving,” he abruptly hung up and his glaze involuntarily floated to the girl next to him. He couldn’t see her expression as she was glancing out the window.

“That was just an old friend,” he coughed out not really sure why he suddenly felt guilt.

“What’s your favourite color?”

“I swear we’re just really close friends… Wait what?” Wonho glanced at her from the corner of his eye. She shifted to look at him.

“What’s your favourite color?” she repeated her question.

He wondered why she was asking him that but never the less he answered, “Black.”

Black is so dark that you can’t see through it. It’s like a mask that hides your insides perfectly.

“Black is a nice color,” Ara nodded in agreement.

Black is so solid, it is like a bulletproof vest. It keeps you safe while giving you a false sense of invincibility.

The car fell silent again before Wonho decided to break it.

“How are you holding up?” he noticed the change in Ara’s mood as soon as they left the bridal shop.

She cocked her head, silently asking him why he would question her like that.

“I mean,” his eyes remained on the road, “It’s probably not easy watching your mother getting remarried.”

Ara shrugged, “It’s not like I’ve never seen it before.”

“Seeing it a lot doesn’t necessarily make it easier,” Wonho deadpanned.

Ara couldn’t say anything because he had hit the bull’s eye.

“Will you be there?” she asked quietly.

“Sorry?” he parked the car into his company’s underground parking and cut off the ignition to create peace.

“Are you going to the wedding?” Ara rephrased her question.

“Hyungwon would probably make me,” Wonho offered her a lopsided grin.

She only nodded.

“Is your boyfriend going?” he dreaded her answer.

Ara only shrugged.

Other years, Shownu was always there, he was always be beside her as her mother repeated the same vows with her new step father. This year however, the wedding conflicted with his work schedule.

Being Shownu, he offered to skip work but Ara knew that promotion period was near and there was no way she’d let him skip at a crucial time like this.

Maybe this was why she was so uneasy.

Shownu wasn’t going to be there.

The only stake that steadied her would be absent on the most messed up day of her life.

What was she going to do?

“Let’s go.”

We are going? But they didn’t even know each other that well. Not to mention that he was her boss and Hyungwon’s friend. He’d be coming as Hyungwon’s guest not her date.

When Wonho noticed that she wasn’t moving, he leaned over.

Ara stopped breathing when he bent his body over hers. His warm body heat suddenly reminded her of that night at the mansion. His chest brushed against hers as he extended his arm. She was about to question his actions but then she heard a soft click and felt her seat belt loosen.

“We’re here,” Wonho announced, “Let’s go in.”

Oh, if stupidity could kill, she’d be dead by now.

“Are you waiting for me to open the door for you too?” Wonho asked in a teasing tone, “I’d be glad to do it.”

“N-No,” Ara blushed, “Sorry.”

She pushed the door open herself and stepped out.

“This way,” Wonho led her out of the parking lot and into the elevator.

Ara silently retreated to a corner and slouched against it. Her eyes lost focus as she stared into space.

Wonho pressed the key to close the door. He was about to hit ground floor but his head turned to Ara. It was like she had visibly shrunk, her usually confident demure was nowhere in sight. One could argue that it was because the dress fitting had tired her out but the Ara Wonho knew wouldn’t collapse because of a few bulky dresses.

His finger travelled up and hit the button to the highest floor.

Ara didn’t even notice.

The abno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter