Chapter 9

Strange Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Come on in.”  The voice that I was so familiar with sang out from the room in an awkward accented English and I pushed the door open.


 

“Baekhyun…” I gasped silently and murmured under my breath as I saw the beautiful man in the room. He probably heard me gasping or he was just wondering what took so long for another sound to be made from the person who entered the room, judging from the way he turned around in annoyance, only to have his expression changed from annoyance to surprise.

 

“Sally… Co-come in.” He stunned for a few seconds before he stood up and walked over to hold the door for me. Jesper was clutching onto my back tightly as he stretched his head out a little to peek at the man who looked exactly like him, just a grown up version. Meeting strangers has never been something Jesper fancied. But I had never seen him so shy and conserved in front of someone. He might not like them but he would the most ignore them whenever they try to talk to him or he would just pretend like they didn’t exist.

 

I could see Baekhyun’s eyes on Jesper’s peeping head and Jesper immediately hid himself again behind me. Awkward. It was a minute of pure silence with the door still held open by Baekhyun and us standing right in front of the entrance before I finally realized I should introduce them to each other.

 

“Uhm… Hi… Baekhyun. Jesper, come out!” I smiled forcefully at Baekhyun and I turned around to carry Jesper in my hands so I could bring him out in front of me instead of just him hiding behind me. Little Jesper still hid his face on the crook of my neck, though, even though he tilted a little to look at Baekhyun.

 

“This is Jesper. Don’t mind him. He’s a little shy with strangers,” I said, while rolling my eyes in my head. Right, he’s shy with strangers. He never was. Duh. Baekhyun couldn’t do much towards Jesper due to how Jesper was rejective to even look at him. He smiled a little awkwardly and he suddenly remembered what he should do as he walked to my seat to pull out the chair for me to sit. I mouthed a thank you as I really needed the service. I can’t be pulling the chair in ease with Jesper still in my arms. I sat down and patted Jesper a few times, signaling him to let go of me and sit on his own which he obviously pretended to not understand. He noticed the change in my expression which turned austere and he quickly released me and climbed down from my lap to walk to the chair beside me. He made sure his head was down throughout the whole process, looking a little guilty.

 

I was going to help him up the chair when Baekhyun stood up before me to carry my son up and placed him down gently on the chair. That was the first time Jesper finally looked up and stared into Baekhyun’s eyes and the latter remained still to lock his gaze with the mini version of him. Jesper observed the grown up man intensely without uttering a word and Baekhyun finally lost in the game of stare as he looked away and walked back to his seat.

 

“Mommy, he looks familiar,” Jesper commented while he turned his head to look at me and then Baekhyun and me again. Blinking a few times, he continued his sentence, “he looks like Jesper.” Baekhyun looked totally clueless since he couldn’t understand what Jesper was saying (Jesper was talking in Mandarin). I gave Jesper a reassuring smile and introduced Baekhyun to him.

 

“Jesper, this is Baekhyun. You know the lullaby mummy sang to you every night to sleep? He sang the song.”

 

The soothing music that he liked so much since he was born even though he didn’t understand anything at all from the song. The day. The song Baekhyun sang with K.will. I wouldn’t normally sing the song with its Korean lyrics unless requested by Jesper. I would normally just hum the song to lullaby him to sleep.

 

“Really?” I saw Jesper’s eyes lit up when he heard that. I nodded my head and asked him, “Do you want to hear him sing it for you?”

 

I saw Jesper nodding his head vigorously with a bright smile on his face (notice that 180 degrees change in his attitude, though!). I gave him a wink before I turned to look at Baekhyun.

 

“I know it might be ridiculous, but can you sing ‘The Day’ a little for Jesper?” I can’t believe this is the first thing I told Baekhyun after so long. Baekhyun looked at me weirdly but nodded his head and did as told in the end.

 

“수없이 많은 날들이 스쳐 지나가고 아득해져 흩어져버린 시간 속에 널. 아무리 그리워해봐도 들리지도 않는 너의 기억...... (Countless days have passed and are fading in the scattering time. No matter how much I long for you. I can’t hear your memories)” He closed his eyes as he started singing with his very soothing voice. His angelic voice rang through the room and echoed in my head. I fell in love with his voice ever since the first time I saw him on the music video. How could I not fall in love again wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter