Chapter 7

Strange Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ baekhyunee_exo perhaps, are you Sally? ]

 

 

I was still thinking of what to reply to Baekhyun’s ‘I hope he grows up well’ when I heard Jesper’s cries pierced through the silent house. It was an instant reaction for me to literally drop my phone wherever it was and run to Jesper’s room.

 

Jesper probably had some nightmare, I thought when I rushed to him and carried him in my arms. I could make out some words that sounded like ‘papa’ from his crying but I wasn’t sure of what I heard. I hummed his favourite lullaby and patted him while rocking him back and forth until he finally calmed down and stopped heaving.

 

“Sweetie, did you dream of something bad?” I asked.

 

Jesper looked down on the plush he was holding in his hands, toying it and answered in a very soft and slow tone, “I dreamt of a figure who was supposed to be papa but I couldn’t see his face… Then he disappeared.” Ah, that was why I heard papa. He was saying something ‘I want papa’.

 

“Honey, do you want a daddy?” What a question I asked. I was surprised by my bluntness in words. But Jesper tilted his head to look at me and those eyes were lit with hope. Hope. Even though it diminished right after, I did not let it slip. “It’s okay, mommy. Jesper only wants mommy.” He lay his lead on my chest as he said that. Jesper didn’t look like he was fine even though that was what he said. He looked… pretty lonely, to be honest.

 

That was the moment I solely decided, I should at least try. If Baekhyun was all it would take for Jesper to be completely happy, I would try to reach to him and try my best to accept him. Even after what he had done to me and Jesper.

 

“Jesper, do you wanna sleep with mummy tonight?” I asked. I could feel Jesper nodding as he was still lying on my chest. Ah, still such a child, of course. I smiled as I carried him to my room, definitely, with his little Rilakkuma plush toy still tightly held in his hands.

 

I watched him fell asleep before I went to the bathroom for a shower. Technically, I completely forgot about Baekhyun at that point. It was only until I started reflashing back on what I was doing before going into Jesper’s room, I realized, I hadn’t replied to Baekhyun. I showered as fast as I could and barged out of the shower wrapped in my towel. I simply grabbed a piece of camisole and a pair of shorts from my wardrobe and tucked them on.

 

Leaving the bathroom, I walked right towards the bed to look for the phone I simply dropped onto. Thank God I didn’t lie Jesper down on this side of the bed. Phew. I was thankful for my own action (for once). I took the phone with me and sat down in front of my dressing table. Pfft. Should I put on skincare products first, or should I reply Baekhyun first. I decided to drop my phone. I have already left it for so long, a little longer doesn’t harm. So, I opened the bottle of toner and started applying it lightly onto my face.

 

Buzz buzz. Buzz buzz. My phone vibrated quite loudly.

 

[ baekhyunnee_exo If you’re not, I’m sorry for disturbing. >< ]

 

I read the text as it popped up at the top of my unlocked screen. Err, what? I’ll just settle it later. The moment I finished applying whatever I had to, I took my phone and started typing.

 

[ I am Sally. ]

 

That was all I could make up of. I didn’t know what else to say. I meant, I had so much to say, like, would you accept Jesper? But I couldn’t possibly say all the heavy words before we even go that far into the conversation. We just barely started recognizing each other.

 

Much to my surprise, I received an immediate reply from him.

 

B: [ How have you been? ] Short. He probably didn’t know what else to ask other than that.

 

[ I’ve never been better. How about you? ]

 

B: [ As usual? Kinda busy with all the schedules. ]

B: [ Uhm… Is Jesper your son? ]

Is Jesper my son? Or was he trying to ask if Jesper was his son? I snorted at that comment I made in my mind. But I decided to remain nice in the conversation.

[ Ah, okay. Yeah, Jesper’s my son. ]  And I rolled my eyes.

 

B: [ His.. dad? ]

 

Ah, there it goes.

 

[ His dad isn’t here. ] I replied simply. It was true, wasn’t it? Byun Baekhyun wasn’t here. Never been here. But Jesper did have a dad, didn’t he? Byun Baekhyun provided the cells and genes that made him, scientifically speaking.

 

B: [ Oh…… ]

B: [ He looks very cute. ^^ ]

 

Was that Oh a sign of disappointment? I thought. I wasn’t sure if I should tell him or not that he was Jesper’s dad. But, thinking about it, wasn’t it obvious?!?!?!!! Like, they had the same face. I definitely didn’t look like Baekhyun at all. Where else could Jesper get the genes from? Or did he think there were random people out there who looked exactly like him as well?

 

Or, he simply didn’t want to recognize Jesper.

 

As that thought hit me, I wasn’t sure of what to reply to him anymore. Again, I stared at the screen blankly, not knowing what to reply. Then, I heard Jesper’s soft mutter in his sleep. “Papa……. Mama……..” I turned around to look at that little boy.

 

I climbed onto the bed as quietly as I could and took a picture of my boy asleep, sending it to Baekhyun.

 

[ He’s beautiful, isn’t he? ]

 

I tucked his little han

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter