Chapter 17

Strange Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For an instance, we both forgot about all the worries we had in mind.


 

And I was more than sure that the stress-free talk did not last long at all before we heard the rushing beep tones coming out from the heart rate monitor in Baekhyun’s ICU ward which had quickly accelerated to become a monotonous beep and the sound of emergency alarm being pressed from the room. Baekhyun’s dad was in the ward when his wife and I were talking outside. We quickly stood up as we saw nurses and the doctor previously rushing into the ward. Mrs. Byun held my hand so tight I knew she was just as nervous and worried as me.

 

“He's a tough boy. Don't worry. I believe in him,” she said. I stood by the glass window with Mrs. Byun holding my hand as I looked inside to see a nurse telling Mr. Byun to leave the room which he quickly did.


I could see the doctor trying to resuscitate Baekhyun the moment Mr. Byun stepped out of the ward. The whole area around the unit was in such tension, the present EXO members all stood up and stared intensely. Jesper who was being carried by his grandfather when he came out, had never stopped crying. Sobbing hard, calling "appa" every few seconds. I didn't take Jesper back from Mr. Byun as I myself was feeling rahter weak. I was shaking. I only realized that when Baekhyun's mom held my hand tighter and asked if I was alright.

After almost 15 minutes, the dead monotonous beep finally broke and returned to the previous steady in-continuous beeps. I collapsed onto the chair as I felt the weight lifted off my shoulder. Mrs. Byun came down to hug me as she whispered comfortingly into my ear, "It's alright. Baekhyun's fine. He's fine." I hugged her back and I let the tears flow. I was uncontrollably sobbing already. Again.

I've never been so scared. Never, not even once in my life. I've never been so close to losing someone I love. Someone... I love?

I don't know anymore.

It wasn't even hard to fall in love for real, with the person I had dedicated my youth to, fangirling and fantasizing. How had I been so dedicated and loyal about something or someone? There wasn't anyone or anything other than Byun Baekhyun. That was why, it was so easy for me to fall right into the trap of love, so easily. Only when it comes to him. It didn't even need to take more than a few days of contact.

And I had already cried for him so many times. Today alone I had cried at least thrice. Oh god.

"Don't cry, my child. Don't cry." Mrs. Byun chanted slowly while caressing me. I could feel my asthma catching up and I quickly slid the inhaler out of my pocket, placing the mouthpiece in between my teeth and closing the gap with my lips. I pressed the the canister down, slowly breathing and taking the medication in.

I removed the inhaler and rested my head onto the closest thing to lean onto as I felt my breathing returning to norm. I blinked a few times as I opened my eyes. I rested on Mrs. Byun's shoulder apparently. "Feeling better?" Mrs. Byun asked. I nodded my head and I saw the doctor walking away after talking to Mr. Byun. "How... How's Baek...?" I asked worriedly but I was trying to soothe my breathing.

"He's fine, the doctor said the cardiac arrest was due to some airway complications." Mr. Byun replied. I frowned a little after hearing it.

I'm  worried. Worried sick. And how the was I going to return to my country if he was in such condition? I'm... I'm not going to leave the man I love in such state. I cannot. I knew it in my heart that I won't be able to. I saw Jesper running towards me and then jumping into my arms not long after. He wasn't sobbing already but he was still tearing up. I could feel my shoulder wet and definitely see him biting his right thumb with the side of my eye. Right, that thumb biting habit. Definitely not from my DNA. "Daddy's fine, Jesper. Let's not cry, okay? Let's continue to fight for him." I told him, not sure if I was trying to comfort him or myself.

 

Nothing happened the rest of the day after that incident, which I was beyond glad to learn about. We basically stayed at the hospital until dinner time when I finally felt very hungry. Did I take my lunch? I asked in my head and looked for an answer which silently told me, no I did not. No wonder. The EXO members had come and go. Baekhyun’s parents had left home to clean up themselves as well. They said to return on the day after. Basically, there was nothing that we could do being here, outside the ICU ward. I was just about to leave for dinner and was searching on my phone for the nearest restaurant when someone talked to me, “Sally? You’re still here?” It was Lay who came, sounding pretty surprised. Right, I haven’t seen him upon reaching Korea. “Yixing?” I quickly bowed and greeted him.

 

“You don’t have to bow, don’t worry. Do you wanna go for dinner? I can bring you around later after I visit Baekhyun,” he offered. We conversed in Chinese, of course. Finally someone I could talk to in my mother tongue. God. I thought. I agreed to him, of course, since I had no idea where to have my dinner as well and since he offered. “Hey, there, little one,” he was caught up with Jesper who was sitting beside me. Right, I haven’t introduced Lay to Jesper. “Piggy, this is uncle Lay. You can call him uncle Yixing,” and he obediently greeted as he was told.

 

“Hello, Uncle Yixing!” Jesper greeted with a smile. “So, he was the one Baek told me to help him with basic Korean?? So adorable! Anyways, let me go see Baek for 2 minutes and I’ll be back.” he said and disappeared into the ICU. It was…. 10 minutes before the visiting hours finished. Great timing, Mr. Zhang. He really did go in for about 3 minutes before coming out again. “So fast!” I said while standing up and he shrugged, “I can’t do much inside. I just wanna see for myself that he was still breathing and he was still fine, right, and to scold him for being so careless.” I chuckled a little and we walked out together. I personally think Lay likes Jesper a little too much as he paid so muc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter