Dance

Paranormal Boy

 

Chapter 7

Jinhye merrily skipped her way into the library. She was so happy about meeting Junmyeon because she honestly wanted to meet up with him ever since graduating but she lost contact and she thought that that would be the last time she would meet him.

Her cheerful attitude didn’t get past Jongin as he appeared right in front of her.

“What’s got you in such a happy mood?” he asked with his arms cross as if he was judging her.

“Oh Jongin! Guess what!”

“What?” he questions, amused at her silly face.

“I just met my old friend from high school at the grocery store. We bumped into each other and he happened to recognise me, but I couldn’t recognise him. It was amazing he seriously changed a lot, he’s so good looking now!” she explained all happily not noticing the hard look Jongin had on his face.

“He? Good looking?” he asked as his arms uncrossed and his smile turned into a frown, but his mood went unnoticed as Jinhye was too busy recalling her encounter with Junmyeon.

“Yes! His name is Kim Junmyeon and back in high school we were friends but he used to look so nerdy he had the geek glasses and everything! But now he’s grown into a really handsome guy, and he’s a physicist! Just like you! He even said he would want to meet you some time after I accidently mentioned you, but I kinda told him you can’t because you’re an introverted person aha” she said.

As she continued to rave about Junmyeon, Jongin just stood there trying to process everything she said. There was this guy in high school who used to be ugly but now is handsome and a physicist? On top of that he’s probably going to hang out with her more now and take her away from him. He didn’t want that. Jinhye was his…well maybe not his but, you get the idea.

“Well if Junmyeon is so perfect why don’t you go hang out with him instead?” Jongin absentmindedly blurted out, causing Jinhye to stop talking and look at Jongin with large shocked eyes. Jongin swore in his mind when he realised what he said, yes he thought that, but he only wanted to keep it in his mind.

“What’s the matter with you? I was only telling you about him…I was even thinking of inviting him here so you two could talk about whatever you smart people talk about. But I guess I was wrong” she sighed. The sad look on her face pained Jongin and he regrated everything.

“I’m sorry it just came out; I was just overwhelmed with the topic. All I could hear was Junmyeon this and Junmyeon that, frankly it got too much and yeah” Jongin said apologetically.

Jinhye though back to a few minutes ago, she didn’t even give Jongin any chance to speak because she kept talking about Junmyeon.

“Ahh I’m sorry too, I was being pretty rude I guess, don’t take it to heart I was just excited that’s all” she softly explained. Jongin smiled again when he saw her pouting. She’s so cute.

“Let’s call it even. And I don’t mind meeting this Junmyeon guy if that’s what you want. Maybe he could fill me in on the latest in science”

“That’s the spirit! You two could honestly be such great friends you’re both so geeky. I was also thinking he could help you…If you know what I mean…”

Jongin understood what she meant and honestly, he thought of it too. If this friend of her’s is really that great, it could be worth a shot.

“Yeah, I guess he could” he replied.

“Great! So what were we going to do today? I have my laptop here and I brought a wifi modem is there anything you want to search for?” she asked.

“Umm, music, can you search for music? I’ve missed the sound of music so much; I don’t know if I told you before but I also had another passion in dancing. No-one knew about it of course but it was something I liked to do in my free time.

“Dancing!? I never would have picked you to be a dancer”

“Yeah, it came as a surprise to me as well, I can’t help but love it” Jongin smiled to himself.

“Okay is there any particular music you would like to dance to?” she asked.

“Um put on something that’s like RnB, it was a big thing back in the early 60’s”

“Okay umm, here is a song called baby don’t cry. It’s a new song by this Kpop group, I can’t remember their name. Jinhye clicked the play button and the first few piano notes played followed by the smooth velvety voice of the singer. As soon as Jongin heard it, he was in love with the song and he started to move gracefully to the beat and rhythm. Jinhye watched in awe, his movements were so fluid and powerful. The meaning of the song was perfectly represented through his dance, she wanted to describe his performance as art, Jongin was making piece of art right before her very eyes.

When the song came to an end, Jinhye was frozen, she was purely stunned. Jongin just looked at her awkwardly and cleared his throat.

“H-how was it? I might be a bit rusty since I haven’t practiced in a few decades” he laughed.

“That was…phenomenal! Jongin how could you to say anything about this talent! Your moves, your emotion, your everything was on point! How on earth could you have not practiced but still be that good!?” She shrieked.

“Um I don’t know; it all comes very naturally to me” he explained. He was happy that she liked it, ecstatic actually.

“I would give anything to have a talent like that, you gotta teach me!” she exclaimed. Jongin chuckled and nodded his head keeping his wide smile.

“Of course I could teach you, I need to pay you back somehow” he said.

“Yes! When do we start?”

“Right now if you like”

“Perfect!”

And just like that Jinhye and Jongin spent pretty much the whole day dancing. She was a bit stiff at first but once Jongin gave her some tips and pointers, the both of them were having so much fun. Jinhye introduced to him to all the modern genre of music and after viewing Kpop music video’s he was set on learning how to pop and lock.

“Today was so fun!” Jinhye said as she was exhaustedly lying on the floor next to Jongin.

“It really was, I had a great pleasure teaching you”

“Haha, of course I’m the greatest student ever” She said as she turned to her side to look at him. Jongin saw her movement out of the corner of his eye and turned his body but was pleasantly surprised as he was now face to face with her. They stared and got lost in each other’s eyes, it brought back the feeling that they were experiencing last night. Both of their hearts were pumping higher than normal while their stomachs felt as if it were a sanctuary for butterflies.

“Jinhye?” Jongin spoke. He wanted to explain what he feels; he doesn’t know the reason why since all his scientific theories are just not the right answer to this problem.

“Mm?” She hummed in reply.

“I wa-“  He was cut off by the sound of her phone ringing. She quickly reached into her pockets to see the name Junmyeon written on the screen and she couldn’t not answer it. She turned back to Jongin and gave him an apologetic look.

“Sorry, let me get this” she said as she answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hi Jinhye, it’s me Junmyeon. I was calling to ask what you were doing tonight because I was thinking I could take up that offer for our dinner tonight”

“Hi Junmyeon. Yes, dinner tonight sounds perfect, I didn’t have any plans tonight so you’re in luck. Where did you want to eat?” she asked fully immersed into the conversation. Jongin however just sat and watched, he heart broke a bit as he watched her smile brightly when talking to Junmyeon. He wanted to think positively but he just couldn’t, his body was just filling itself with negative thoughts. He is so lucky. Junmyeon can take her out, Junmyeon has a history with her, Junmyeon is good looking, Junmyeon is smart, Junmyeon makes her smile 10 times brighter than I ever could.

He watched as she ended the call and turned to him once again. Junmyeon invited me to dinner later tonight so I gotta go home now to get ready. What was it that you wanted to tell me?” she asked. Jongin just shook his head, there was no way that he was going to tell her about his feelings now.

“Okay, well I’ll see you tomorrow okay” She said and she gathered all her things.

Jongin nodded as he watched her leave out the exit of the library. He was now alone and left to bask in the silence of the old building. She left to be with another man, and it hurt him.