Introduction

Married With Benefits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~~~

"Justina, I have something to discuss with you," my dad calmly said, with a serious tone.

"What is it, appa?"I asked, speaking in Korean.

"Haven't I told you that you can speak to me in English when we're at home?" 

"Yes," I answered in English.

He sighed. "Don't be surprised, but... I have agreed to my company's offer of..."

"Come on, say it already," I said, becoming impatient.

"Making the director's son marry you." As soon as I said that my mind went blank, and I froze. "I know that it might be alarming to you, but I just thought it might be good for you."

The absurd comment my father had just made, brought me back to reality. "For my own good, and why might have you thought that?"

"Well, since we need the money and you're now old enough to get married."

"We? Didn't I give you guys money just a week ago?" 

"Yes, but that's not the point here. I'm saying that we don't want to depend on you anymore financially," he firmly said.

"Then, what do you think you're doing right now? Isn't marrying me off for money, basically mean that you're depending on?" I asked, getting angry. He was going to speak, but I cut him off. "Where's mom? Does she know about this?"

"She's still at the coffee shop, and yes, she does know." He paused before continuing. "She also agrees with you getting married."

"Great," I said under my breath. My step-mom wants me to get married too, but I know she doesn't mean any harm. "Fine, I'll get married, but under one condition."

"Thank you!" my dad rejoiced, pulling me into a hug. "What might that condition be?"

"At least show me a picture of who I'm marrying, I want to see if he's handsome or not."

"I understand what you mean, but I can't show you a picture of him." Breaking away from our hug.

"Wae?" Speaking in Korean again.

"I don't even know who he is, The CEO of the company had told me that he doesn't want the news to spread because there are other companies that might pursue his son and kidnap him. They might use his son to get his secret recipe that he uses to make his coffee. He also said that nobody knows about his son's existence except for his family, the people he trust, and my family. That includes you, Justina."

I was so confused. "That makes no sense. I don't even know his face, but I know him. I didn't even know that he even had a son until today. Did the director say anything else?"

"Hmm.... He did say that when you were younger you had given his son some ideas that he could use in his coffee and that his son would sneak out of his office so he would go see you during the day."

I thought about what he had just said, and let it sink in. I was 15 when came I moved to South Korea, and it's been 6 years since then. I grew fond of the place where my parents worked at. I didn't like the smell at first, but then I got used to it. I would try putting different things into the coffee so it wouldn't taste so bitter. I have a sweet tooth, so I would try all types of combinations to sweeten things. 

I remember now! It was that day when I left my experimental cup of coffee on the table, so I could get something else to combine it with. When I came back, I noticed that my cup was gone. I asked my dad, and he said that a male customer had taken it. He must have mistaken my cup of coffee for his. My dad told me that he took a seat by the window, so I rushed over to his seat with the right cup before he drank mine, but I was too late.

When I got there, he had already taken a sip. I told him that I had his coffee, but he refused to take it. He told me that he liked the flavour, and wondered what was in it. I told him that I put nutmeg, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate syrup, and cinnamon in it, but I also told him that I forgot to put whipped cream in it. He let me put it in the cup for him, and he told me that it tasted delicious.

Ever since then, he would come back and would taste all my experimental coffees. As my test subject, he would tell me if the combination was bad, good, or that it was missing something.

After I turned 17, he stopped coming, but the menu changed. The menu had all of my coffees that were good and even the names I chose for them were there.  I was suspicious of the gentleman that had suddenly stopped coming, but I didn't think anything of it, and only thought of it as a mere coincidence.  

Now that I think about it, I didn't get his name, but he was pretty cute for his age. I knew that he was older than me, but that didn't stop my 15-year-old mind to fantasise about him. The way he would look up at me, when he tasted a new flavour that I created, was satisfying.

"I think I know who he is, but I don't know his name," I finally said.

"You do?" I nodded slowly. "Then, that's great. Is he bad?"

"No, dad. He's older than me, though."

"By how much?" He was now in protective dad mode.

"Don't worry dad. He's not an ahjussi."

My dad let out a sigh. "Then, it's okay."

"Really? Wow. Thanks, I guess." 

My dad then got up from the spot he was seated on and left the room. I went to my room, closing the door behind me. I lay on my stomach on my bed and took out my phone. I looked through my contacts and called my friend from the coffee shop, Sehun. I had to tell him the news.

“Justina, what is it now,” Sehun greeted in an annoyed tone.

“Sehun-ah~” I whined.

“What is it?” His voice showed that he was concerned.

“Now, I got your attention,” I laughed.

I heard him curse under his breath. “Just tell me what you want.”

“I’m getting married,” I bluntly said.

“So, what does that have to do with me?”

“Hyung!” I was the tomboy type. Even if I wasn't, I really liked saying hyung...

“Listen to me right now as your hyung. Does he have money?”

“Yes."

“Is he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter