Chapter 1

Kissing 101
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  The Partner

 

"I didn't know how to react, so I told him maybe some other time," I had just described my encounter with my crush earlier this afternoon.

Just then we heard amused snickers coming from the doorway.

"Taehyung beat it! Sorry, go on Iseul."

"Why does he always eves-drop?"

"Because if you only heard yourselves you'd know how pathetic you sound," Taehyung came in and made himself comfortable on his sister's bed as he laid with one arm behind his head.

"But no one asked for your opinion," I glared at him.

"I didn't think I needed your permission. You're in my house," he cracked a wise- smile and showed no signs of departing.

"Alright you two, don't start again," Sora sighed.


I'm sorry but it was inevitable. Here I was undressing my feelings before my best friend and her idiot brother had to sit in for the scrutinizing entertainment. It made me realize how lucky I was to be an only child. Although their relationship was sometimes enviable, I didn't understand why he had to bug me all the time.

Yes, I'll admit it, I probably did sound pathetic, but he didn't have to stay if he was going to complain about it. Sora certainly wasn't, in fact, she was about to give me her two cents on the matter. Scoop was, I liked my friend Jimin, but I couldn't tell if he just liked me as a friend or if I should be a little more forward about my feelings. Now don't get me wrong, Taehyung did throw in some good advice if he wasn't in jerk mode. But today I wasn't sure what mood he was in.

My problem was, either I was having a difficult time accepting that Jimin didn't like me back or I wasn't trying hard enough. I thought I was fairly pretty and clear out of the I-love-you-like-a-sister zone; things were just so confusing.


"You should just say "Hey I like you, do you want to go out sometime… like on a date?" and see how he responds," Taehyung concluded. Maybe today he wasn't a jerk.

"It's not that simple. For starters, I'm the one that's supposed to get asked out. And second, I'm on that thin red line of friendship, what if I scare him off once he knows that I like him?" I couldn't risk not having Park Jimin at all.

"Well the way I see it, either he is playing it super cool or he just doesn't like you," he shrugged his shoulders.

"Sure, you make it sound so easy," my head sunk, hopeless. Was there any sure way of knowing without ruining my friendship?

"Jeez, I don't remember being this pitiful when I was 18," Taehyung looked at the ceiling as if he were king know-it-all.

"Tae, I don't know what you're gloating about, you didn't start dating till college. And before then, you would obsess about how you'd become this "stud" because no girls gave you the time of day in high school," Sora nodded. "He'd go to the gym at least 4 to 7 times a week."

"At least, I worked hard to change myself and got what I wanted. You can be whoever you want to be in college and I see nothing wrong with that!"

"Yeah, you got what you wanted? So you actually want to attract all those bimbos you've been dating?" Sora crossed her arms in disgust.

"I admit they are a little on the easy side, but It's a win-win situation. I get to hook-up with them and they get to show me off to their friends for a while," he winked.

"Who's pathetic now? I hope to God I don't meet another you when I go to college," I began to feel a little nauseated at the fate that awaited me outside my school's safe haven.

"Ok hold it, you mean to tell me that making out with a hot guy every now and then doesn't sound like a good time to you? And I'd say the majority of the guys at college are just like me and worse!" Taehyung sprung up to see my response.

He didn't know the truth about me. Perhaps I was naïve about my fairytale kiss and choosing to wait for my first boyfriend to have my first kiss with. But only Sora understood and I didn't expect the same from her womanizing brother.

"Oppa, Iseul hasn't kissed a guy yet," I widened my eyes.Too much information, Kim Sora!

"Wha-at? Oh, Iseul, you have what I like to call "hard shell syndrome" and you've got to break out of it before you become the next 40-year-old ."

"Since when did Taetae start diagnosing girl problems?" I asked Sora as though he weren't in the room.

"Babe, trust me. I think you need an injection of college culture to loosen you up."

"I hate when you call me that," my jaw clenched each time he said it, only because I knew he probably said it to all the girls he flirted with and I didn't want to be put on the same shelf as them.

"What do you have in mind, Oppa?" Sora, on the other hand, had listening ears.

But Sora needed no help, she needed no injections. Her and Taehyung; both have perfect color skin with naturally straight hair. He inherited their father's deep brown eyes while Sora's were amber. They also had status, both parents worked in a law firm and well you can imagine how uncomfortable their living space was; if you can pick up my sarcasm here. Sora had aspirations of acting and singing while Taehyung dreamed of making a career out of his pastime...basketball.

Then there's me, Kang Iseul. I had no fancy hobby or famous parents. I did have these awesome braces as of 8 months, provided by my mother the dental hygienist, who had transferred workplaces 2 years ago. Making my world not only turned but upgraded. Only I didn't. I was actually lagging behind; I couldn't compete with all these plastic girls out here.


"Now, I'm in a good mood. So I will allow you both to join me at The Pit tonight," Taehyung laid back down, I'm sure he saw this as his charitable deed of the day.


I looked at Sora a little confused in hopes that she'd catch on.

"The Pit is just a spot where they have huge beach parties with an awesome bonfire. All the fraternities and sororities go there. I hear it gets pretty crazy… So what do you say? Are you up for this, Iseul?"

Was my fairytale dream that hopeless and that ancient? Apparently I needed to crack my shell open or whatever analogy Taehyung was using to prove his point. Was kissing some random guy supposed to improve my chances with Jimin or give me more confidence to ask him out? Who knows, but all I could say for now was that tonight might just be life changing.

 

 

I frequently slept over the Kim's house on Saturdays. My mom would have a night out with her coworkers and I'd come home on Sunday morning to her suffering migraine or hangover; however you want to call it. This really encouraged me to want to go out and drink myself silly…not!

Fortunately, I didn't have to mention this to her since I was already at their house. All I needed was to borrow Sora's clothes and I was set for a night of the college life, or so I thought. Other than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter