Ventiquattro

Finalmente

Moonbyul couldn’t stop tapping her fingers on her thigh, she couldn’t stop looking ahead of the road and tapping the sole of her shoe on the carpeted car and it annoyed Yuju and Whee In. They are seated at the back seat while Grandma Moon on the passenger side and the man in a suit drives the car. Looking at the three, it seems like they are the kids who caught trouble in their kindergarten school and Grandma Moon found it so amusing that she keeps on smiling once in awhile.

“Can you stop shaking your legs?” Yuju hissed, pushing her sister that it knocks Whee In off too. Whee In groans and pushes Moonbyul lightly to get off of her.

“Please relax, Byul. Please be calm.” Whee In said, tilting her head towards her anxious best friend.

“Shut it, you two.” The annoyed Moonbyul stated. She’s not in the mood to make arguments to her sister or her best friend. All she can think about is Yongsun, how will she start their conversation, how she will greet her because damn holy cow, they hadn’t see each other for awhile now. And most of all how will Solar react when she saw the face that looked like it went to a trip from hell?

“Grandma, can we just…um, can we…take a detour? I just need to clean my face?” Moonbyul requested, holding a finger in front of her trying to make a point here. Yuju chortles, Moonbyul sent a glare to her sister but the younger just made a sad face to annoy her sister more. But Whee In on the side is busy her watermelon-flavored Popsicle and no one knows where it came from, actually.

“Oh hush, Byul. We are almost there now.” Grandma Moon calmly said, “Don’t worry about your face, Yongsun will not mind it. She has already seen your body, what’s the worry?”

“Grandma!” Moonbyul puts her arms in the air, “Omygod. That’s not what I meant!”

Yuju made an ‘oooh’ sound, wiggling her eyebrows with a teasing look. Whee In just chuckles but her eyes darted to Moonbyul with such teasing, too. Moonbyul’s neck and face are burning and maybe if she could see her face now, it’s redder than Hwasa’s hair.

Grandma Moon shrugs, “Everything will work out for you, my granddaughter. And please don’t be ashamed of your life. I know you have a very active life and the moment I saw Yongsun, I knew she’s a beast.” She’s shaking her head dramatically in slow-mo while she has this evil smirk, eyes squint while looking at Moonbyul through the rearview mirror. “And goddamn, you better keep up. Raise the Moon flag, you weakling. I didn’t raise you like that!”

And that leaves Moonbyul’s mouth gaping and why does everybody thinks that she’s submissive in bed? Does she have this tag on her head that says ‘I’m submissive in bed and Yongsun can dominate me’? Maybe this question could be the eight-wonder of the world, because she wonders it all the time. Lame pun, okay. But yes, Solar is the one initiating it but when it comes to the actual work she’s the one in business, let’s just clear that out.

 “So, how was Yongsun-unnie in bed?” Yuju whispers, poking her sister’s side.

Moonbyul looks at her sister threateningly.

 “Okay. Fine. Chill, sistah. At least I didn’t say the ‘s’ word directly. Geez.” Yuju said, looking away and she just stares at the view outside of the tinted window.

“I was just asking if I could clean my face and it turned to a talk about my life.” Moonbyul rolls her eyes, “Great.” She heaves a sigh and leans her back more to the leathery seat. Then she looks at Whee In, trying to see an ally in the form of her best friend.

“Popsicle?” Whee In offers as she’s halfway the melting sugar and dairy filled ice. Moonbyul could only scoff and she just cradles her face with her palms.

Poor Moonstar.

--

 The cars stops just in front of the white-washed gate of the house of her grandma, birds are chirping and you could hear the wind making a swooshing sound and it will make you calm immediately. It’s like a little piece of heaven on earth. And somehow it made Moonbyul calm by just seeing the scenery. No neighboring houses, just a huge garden of her grandma and in the back of her house you could see the lake where Moonbyul used to swim when she’s still a child. Her grandmother likes this kind of places, just like in Bucheon.

And just beside that lake, she saw her Yongsun. She unconsciously let out a smile when she saw how Solar laughs together with Umji. Though she and Solar has this great distance between them, she feels that she could hear her laughter. It’s been awhile and she feels like her heart could explode.

Moonbyul just stared at Solar but her smile didn’t vanish. She’s observing how Solar held Umji in her arms while the little girl was showing her a bunch of flowers, daisies and baby’s breaths. They both blew dandelions and it made Umji giggle then she clings to Solar as if it’s just a reflex and a comfortable thing to do at the moment. It’s just a nice thing to watch.

“Hey, Byul. Let’s go?” Whee In asked and it broke Moonbyul’s trance. Moonbyul looks at her briefly before giving a nod then darting her eyes again to Solar’s direction. She slowly got out of the car, she adjusted her shirt, fixed her hair then wipes her sweaty palms on her jeans.

“You’re not going to propose, stop that.” Grandma Moon said casually, looking at her granddaughter seriously.

Moonbyul swallowed hard and nodded.

“Breathe. Hold your together.” Her grandma ordered and the cussing made Yuju uncomfortable again.

But Moonbyul did what her grandma told her anyway. Inhale and exhale.

They started to walk towards the lake, where Solar and Umji are situated under the big shed of trees. Grandma Moon walks coolly, while the three youngsters are on her back. Umji then notices them and her toothy grin appears that her cheeks puffed out and Moonbyul just wants to squish the girl. Umji gets off Solar’s lap and runs towards them, her little legs taking small distance at a time. Solar’s heart almost dropped when she saw Moonbyul, everything went blur and Moonbyul was the only one she could see. Goodness, she almost cried too. She stood up, her feet couldn’t even move.

“Unnie!” Umji shouted in happiness. Moonbyul picks her up and hugs her so tight and the little girl did it too. “I missed you so much!” Umji let out a cute little laugh, “And Yongsun-unnie said she missed you too!”

Moonbyul looks at Solar and then she smiles. “I’ve been missing the both of you.”

“Umji! You didn’t miss Yuju-unnie?” Yuju smiles so widely and Umji wriggles herself out from Moonbyul’s hug and jumps to Yuju excitedly. Whee In pats Umji’s head and surprisingly, she pulls out a chocolate bar from her pocket and gave it to Umji and the girl kisses her cheek as a thank you. And still, no one knows where Whee In got the food.

“Go talk to her now, granddaughter. We’re just inside the house.” Her grandmother pushes her by her shoulder and she just nodded. Well, there’s no turning back now. Moonbyul slowly walks to where Solar is, she saw the girl narrowing her eyes when the girl is getting nearer.

Moonbyul waves at her but Solar crosses her arms on her chest. Well , if she just cleaned her face earlier, Solar wouldn’t have that face right now.

“Hey—“

“Explain.” Solar immediately said as soon she’s just a meter away from her. Moonbyul sighs, looking away.

“Well earlier, Whee in, me, and Yuju…somewhat encounter a series of unfortunate events. But it’s all in the past, you know.” Moonbyul awkwardly smiles and then laughs, but Solar wasn’t amused. “Okay. We got into a fight, three Japanese. But then the police came, the Japanese girls gone off too quickly and the three of us were put into jail for five hours. I called Taeyeon so that she could bail us, but she’s nowhere in sight and then she called later saying that my grandma forces her to talk about my whereabouts when she’s visiting my apartment. And then surprise, grandma was the one who bailed us…and now we are here.”

Moonbyul scratches the side of her eye, avoiding any eye contact from the girl in front of her. She saw from her periphery that Solar lifts up her arm, and then before she knew it Solar cups her cheek. She almost flinched for she knew Solar was going to hit her. But no, instead, Solar made her to look at her.

“Okay…I’ll try not to be mad. I’m glad that I saw you and you’re still alive, though I want to hunt those girls and sacrifice them to satan.” And that made Moonbyul want to laugh but she held it in, Solar’s voice was calm but it’s oozing with danger.

Solar’s lips purses, thumb gently caressing Moonbyul’s cheek. Moonbyul’s gaze to Solar is so soft, it could melt the latter. They just stayed in each other’s gazes until Solar immediately hugs the taller girl, she wraps the girl in her arms tightly as if she could slip at any moment. Moonbyul reciprocate the hug, pulling Solar closer by her waist while her face buried into Solar’s neck.

“I’m sorry.” She heard Yongsun whispers, “I’m sorry, I’ll do better now. I promise. Just please don’t get tired of me. It hurts me just by thinking you’re getting tired of me then you’re going to leave me eventually. Don’t get tired of me. Am I making myself clear?”

Then Moonbyul realizes that Solar’s crying already. She rubs Solar’s lower back while whispering her yes, ‘hush now’ ‘don’t cry’ and ‘love’. Solar sobs lightly as she controls her crying but she couldn’t hold back her tears, she misses Moonbyul too much that it felt surreal that the girl she’s missing is here now and hugging her tightly too.

Moonbyul let go of the hug but body is still pressed to Solar’s, she runs her thumb across her girlfriend’s cheek just to wipe those tears. She just stares at Solar’s face as if memorizing each part and she smiled.

“I’m sorry too. That night…I just couldn’t think properly, my words hurt you. And I’m sorry for that. Sorry that I didn’t understand your situation that time, I didn’t even hear your side and that’s an ugly part of me. So, don’t blame it all on yourself.” Moonbyul stated, still wiping those tears she had caused. “And I won’t ever…ever, get tired of you Kim Yongsun.” Solar’s sobs couldn’t calm down after that last line and Moonbyul had to chuckle for she endlessly wipes her girlfriend’s eyes.

“You said I’m the fool one but you are the worst Moonbyul Yi!” Solar half yelled, grabbing Moonbyul’s collar, “And Christ, I want to kiss you right now but your lower lip is a little busted.”

Moonbyul just had to hug Solar again, smiling, “I love you. Don’t be sad, love.”

“But your mother, Byul.”

“Don’t think about that. I’m here now. And that’s all that matters right now.”

Solar nods her head, dipping her head more into Moonbyul’s neck, she kisses her girlfriend’s skin just above the dip on her collarbone and it sent tingles through Moonbyul’s body. Moonbyul then heard a softly whispered, ‘I love you too, love’ from Solar.

--

Moonbyul hisses as she accidentally hits the bridge of her nose while washing her face, that Mina punched so hard. After that refreshing wash, she walks to the chair where her grandmother puts the new shirt for her to wear. She picks up the shirt and scans it, her face has this disappointed look with somewhat ‘what the hell, grandma’ face. It’s a shirt but with the printed words, ‘MY GRANDMA BEFORE HOES’.

A blood stained shirt or grandma’s shirt? She prefers the former but then she imagined her grandma’s face, a not so nice face, she just sighed in defeat and took off her shirt.

“You’re taking too long.” The bathroom door opens, revealing Solar. Moonbyul immediately covered herself with the shirt she had taken off, somewhat taken aback by her girlfriend.

“W-What?” Moonbyul stuttered as Solar is now walking dangerously close to her. Her girlfriend raised a questioning brow.

“Why are you covering yourself?” Solar scoffed, “I’ve seen you .”

Solar’s right, why does she have to cover her body, she’d seen everything now. But still. She’s a shy type, a rare one. But okay, since there’s no escaping Solar. She drops her shirt down and she just grabs the shirt her grandmother gave to her. Solar smirks at the sight, biting her lower lip too. Byul’s almost half body, wearing a watch, fitted ripped jeans and her hair complimenting the look, yes…an to the eyes. She just realizes, it’s been days since the last time they’ve done it. She needs healing now, the intimate way.

Moonbyul was about to put on the shirt, the grandma before hoes shirt, but Solar stops it midway. The way that Solar looks at her, she knows what will happen but she plays dumb.

“Yes, Yongsun?” Moonbyul asked, putting down the shirt but still it’s in her hand. Solar had to gulp down and just let her eyes feast at what’s in front of her. Moonbyul made a step so that she’s close enough to Solar, “You’re staring so much, Kim Yongsun.”

“Am I?” Solar tilts her head but grabs the belt loops on Moonbyul’s jeans and she just pulls the girl closer.

The other girl nods, “And you know what, sometimes I feel so lucky that my world is in my hands.”

Solar grins, fingers unbuckling the belt of her girlfriend, “Byul, you’re grabbing my .”

“Exactly.” Moonbyul closes her eyes in satisfaction, giving Solar’s a firm squeeze.

 And Solar was trying so hard not to laugh at that, she now s Moonbyul’s jeans while the other girl is giving light kisses on her neck and jawline, earning soft sighs from Solar.

Moonbyul was about to kiss Solar, hard on the lips and Solar was about to slip her hand under Moonbyul’s pants but a loud knock interrupted them. And it made the both of them jumped on their feet.

 “I know I’m interrupting something but for Pete’s sake Moonbyul, pay some respect to your grandfather first. No is happening in this house!”

The taller girl just had to rest her forehead on Solar’s shoulder while the other just giggle at Grandma Moon’s yelling just outside this bathroom. Solar begins to zip the jeans of Moonbyul, buttoning it again and buckling the belt while her girlfriend half-heartedly puts on her shirt.

And there goes Solar’s weird laugh when she saw the boldly printed words on her girlfriend’s shirt, “So, I’m your hoe now?”

Moonbyul shrugs but laughs after, “My seductive hoe, Kim Yongsun.”

They both went down to the living room, hand in hand. Moonbyul saw Whee In sitting in the corner playing with her phone and eating some popcorn, with a decent plain white shirt unlike what her grandma gave her, she sighed, what did she do to deserve this?

“Where are Yuju and Umji?” Moonbyul asked.

“Playing.” Whee In looks up, then she laughs so hard when she saw what Moonbyul was wearing, “Your grandma knows how to embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. Bad girl.”

Solar gave her pouting girlfriend a side hug, “Stop teasing her, Whee In. And you’ve got to do something with that bruise on your cheek.”

“Yeah, yeah. Remind me sometime that I’m not going to hang out with Yuju, ever again.” Whee In’s eyes are dead when she said that, poor girl, she must be traumatized.

Then they heard grandma calling them on the adjacent room, the trio immediately went to her. Grandma gave them three incense each, and Solar frowned while Whee In and Moonbyul went further to the room but she follows nonetheless.

“Every time we visit this house we must pray to my grandfather, he died when he was just in his late thirties. He’s in Special Forces but they got ambushed and unfortunately, he got killed. And that left my mother and grandma.” Moonbyul said to the confused girl, Solar nodded and held the incense carefully in her hands. Then Solar saw the portrait of Moonbyul’s grandfather, he’s got the looks of a handsome man and really emits a military vibe. His eyes, reminds her of Moonbyul’s.

All of them bowed to the portrait, incense smoke filled the room and they heard Grandma Moon say some prayers. After that, they left the incense on the pot just in front of the portrait.

Grandma Moon looks at Solar, “Yongsun, now that you’ve met my husband. Welcome to the family.” The elderly smiled, hands Solar’s jaw. “I called you to come to my home just to do this, I wanted you to be part of our family. No matter what others will say, I accept you to be in this family. You’ve sacrificed enough just to be with my granddaughter and that means a lot to me.”

Whee In and Moonbyul shared a look, the former gives her friend a tap on her shoulder. Moonbyul looks down but there’s a smile on her lips, Whee In saw how her friend subtly wipes her eyes and she knew that her friend feels overwhelmed of what was happening in front of her.

Solar on the other hand, blinks her teary eyes trying her hardest to smile but trust her, it’s the most uplifting things she could ever hear from Grandma Moon. Hearing someone say something like that, it will make you feel like you’ve been blessed. Solar couldn’t even utter a single word, she opens to say something but only to close it after. She too, feels too overwhelmed.

But in the end, Solar could only barely whisper a ‘thank you’ without making her voice shake. Without wasting any second, Moonbyul stood beside Solar and made a ninety-degree bow to her grandmother as a sign of deep respect to the elderly.

Grandma Moon pats Moonbyul’s head, “Aigoo, time passes by so quickly and here you are, getting a wife.”

That made Whee In chuckle but wiping her eyes as the scene gets to her, it’s too beautiful to see. Moonbyul stood straight, looking down just to see Solar wiping her tear with her sleeve, she held Solar’s waist.

“Just give me cute little kids I can play with when I’m already in my wheelchair.” Grandma Moon said, in all seriousness. Moonbyul laughs while Solar smiles, nodding her head.

“Grandma, stop teasing us.” Moonbyul said, while rubbing the side of Solar to give her comfort and so that the girl could stop crying.

“Oh Byul, this family needs another member, a baby. And Umji has been bothering me about a little sister from you, and she’s too persistent about this.” Grandma Moon taps Moonbyul’s cheek, and it hurts Moonbyul’s bruised face. Sometimes grandma is really harsh on her, that she thinks her grandma secretly hates her.

They heard Solar’s soft laugh, Grandma Moon’s smile appeared again with eyes smiling too. Grandma Moon has taken the liking in Solar’s laughter and smile because it’s genuine and innocent, like a child’s laugh…no pretentions and inhibitions of sort. And she looks more beautiful when happy, just like what Moonbyul had said to her in Bucheon while the girl was still crushing on the idol. Oh, love.

Just then a man in a suit went near to grandma and whispered something in her ear, the couple and Whee In looked at each other, and the smallest girl shrugged. Grandma Moon triumphantly smiled, clapping her hands. The man went outside again, leaving the four of them.

“Well, let’s go now. The scene is already safe.” Grandma Moon instructed, walking ahead with her cane supporting her again.

“What?” Whee In asked, confused.

“Oh, I’ve called you here also because this room is bullet-proofed and bomb-proofed. And earlier, Yuju and Umji went to detonate a bomb, oh you know, for brain exercises. I want to test their skills under pressure.” The grandma said, coolly, as if it’s just a casual happening to her. The trio’s mouth left hanging, processing what Grandma Moon had just said. And oh, Grandma Moon is hard core about weaponries. Yeah, now you know where Yuju got those guns. Sigh, Moon family.

“Grandma! WHAT THE HELL?!” Moonbyul shouted, “ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?! THEY’RE JUST KIDS!”

“HOLY ! ALL THIS TIME, THERE’S A BOMB IN THE VICINITY?!” Whee In couldn’t keep her calm too.

Solar was lost for words. Is she really going to be a part of this family? If there’s a bomb, and Moonbyul got killed… “Oh my God, I’m going to be a nun.” She suddenly mumbled and concern flowed through her voice, running a hand through her hair.

Grandma Moon looked at them incredulously, “They detonated it and it was just a small time bomb, nothing serious, goodness, why do people can’t look at the positive side?”

 Solar’s eyes are dead, Whee In’s soul is really going to leave her body and Moonbyul just want to rip her head off. They’re losing their s. And Moonbyul just prayed that Solar isn’t going to leave her one day because of this chaotic family.

And Grandma Moon went off, back facing the three. She secretly hid her playful smile as she muttered under her breath, “I can’t believe they really fell for that,” She shakes her head, “Yuju and Umji just baked cupcakes.”

--

Grandma Moon arrives at the hospital, her cane supporting her as she walks but two of her assistants are following her. Few doctors bow to her and she replied with a smile. She’s on her way to see her daughter to her own clinic slash her office too as a medical director of this hospital. One of the best hospitals you could see in the heart of Korea.

She took the elevator and the guys she’s with assisted her inside, pushing the appropriate floor to where her daughter’s clinic is found. Her eyes fixed on the silver door, seeing her reflection on it the corners of her lips tugged upwards, her youth has really left her and she feels that death is going to get her anytime soon.

The elevator dings and they stride towards the end of the floor, that’s where her daughter’s office is located. The secretary greeted her with a bow and assisted her inside the office, she let her eyes roam inside it, plain white painted walls, ferns on the corner and those classy curtains hanging by the window and Hwayoung seated in the center in her table just looking at her.

Hwayoung immediately greeted her mother with a bow, Grandma Moon smiles and she just sits on the couch that’s directly in front of her daughter. Hwayoung stood, looking at her mother.

“Hey, kid. How’s life?” Grandma Moon started, eyes observing her daughter, “Still as young as ever, Hwayoung.”

“Oh please, mother. Now that you are here, I assumed you already met Yuju and Moonbyul.”

The elderly nods, “Yes and Yongsun, too.” She notices how her daughter’s mood suddenly changes and how her eyes twitched.

“Look, if you are here to persuade me to like that girl, I’m sorry but I’m not. I’ve given them a chance—“

“And you cheated. I’ve heard what you did to Yongsun. I know that it’s not incidental that you’ve picked a dinner when the girl has the schedule, how you purposely told the organizers to held Yongsun so late resulting that she can’t get in time with your dinner reservation.” She took a deep breath before continuing, “That’s pure evil, Hwayoung. But too bad, the girl is so driven to be with your daughter and now they’re back together, again. Do you still have any cards to pull off?”

“If Moonbyul is still with Yongsun, my daughter will always be in people’s eyes. Have you read newspapers? Articles that spread like wildfire here and there, people hate on my daughter because of the relationship she’s having with that girl! And you want me to just sit here and just accept that?”

Grandma Moon holds her cane, face still calm as ever.

“They might be happy right now but what if Yongsun just decided to leave her? She’ll get nothing left and she sees herself as a failure again. A failure, umma. And I don’t want to see it, because I’ve been in that phase where I became a failure in love or in anything in general.”

Hwayoung catches her breath for awhile, she doesn’t even realizes it that she’s almost yelling.

“I never see you as a failure, my daughter.”

She gasps lightly when she heard her mother’s word, “But you did. Remember that night I came home after I decided to run away with Byul’s dad but it didn’t work out, I came home and two months pregnant. You’re always telling me to leave that guy because you didn’t trust him enough, but I didn’t. I cried so hard in front of our house then I saw the way you looked at me, as if I’m the biggest failure in your life. And you think what I’m doing with Byul is wrong? I’m just protecting her.”

Grandma Moon casts her eyes down, fingers fidgeting, “Is that why you never talked to me properly in all these years? Is that why your heart turns so cold?” She paused, “You got it all wrong.”

Hwayoung scoffs, looking away.

“I never once in my life saw you as a failure. When you looked into my eyes that night, it’s not disappointment, it’s my sadness. You are my only daughter and I love you. I’m sorry if I made you feel that or think that way. But hear me on this, I trust you in all your doings even before and as a mother I’m just here to remind you things but not to control your life.”

Grandma Moon smiles but it was sad and her chest is aching. “And I hope you do that to Moonbyul. Your daughter might feel hurt, might feel sadness but it is part of life. You might think Yongsun will leave her, but what if she doesn’t.”

Silence envelopes them, both have some things running through their mind. After a paused between them, Hwayoung looks at her mother she observes how her mother now is using a cane when the last time she doesn’t, how her mother’s wrinkly face still manage to look so pretty and she realizes that time is passing by in front of her.

“Hwayoung, I’m not here forever to tell you things, do the right thing. I’m old and who knows if I’ll die tomorrow?”

“Umma, don’t say things like that.” Hwayoung warned.

“I went to my doctor the last time and that’s one of the reasons I went here in Seoul. I felt like I couldn’t move these past few days. I’ve got check up, run some test and after all those things, he diagnosed me with an illness that he described as an ascending paralysis. It’ll start at my lower extremities to the point where I couldn’t even control my urination and will start to lose my , literally.” She chuckles, tapping the handle of her cane. “And eventually will have difficulty of breathing and well, you know what will happen next.”

Hwayoung after hearing that, slowly takes a seat on her chair, eyes staring at nothing. It’s like a glass has been shattered right in front of her. She felt like crying but there’s no tears coming out.

“Do Moonbyul and Yuju know about this?”

“Not yet, you’re the first to know. But eventually, they will. Not right now, it will make them sad and they’re too young to be sad.”

“Okay.” It only came out as a whisper in Hwayoung’s mouth.

“And I’m not telling this just to change your mind with Moonbyul and Yongsun, just telling this because you are my daughter. My daughter.”

Grandma Moon beams, head tilting like a kid while Hwayoung looks at her and that’s when she felt the tears running down on her face.

“I know.”

Time do really passes us by so quickly.

--

 

Um, hi! Haha. I don't know what I just wrote on the last part but it was kind of sad. I'm sorry. 

But! Gfriend and Mamamoo in Showtime?! My babies~~ Yasss. Gimme Moonbyul and Yuju moments! 

And as always, thank you for reading this and patiently waiting for an update! :) 

And remember when I said that this fic will just have two more chapters? Me neither. Haaa. 

Bbye~