Chapter 12

Fate?

All participants were given one month to create their proposal. With teamwork or without.

Next day, with the help of their secretaries, their first meeting was decided. On Saturday, at the cafe, in the afternoon. This time they will meet not by accident but by plan.

 

***

 

"Do I have to meet her?" Jessica asked a question she knew was really stupid. If possible, she didn't want to have anything to do with Yuri. But after the decision made by her father, she has to follow. She wanted so much to object but didn't have the heart to. She knows that whatever her father come up with always turns out good. If not, great.

"Fine. If you really don't want to, I'll cancel it for you and think of an excuse to tell your father." Sunny took out her phone to call Tiffany. Jessica stopped her immediately.

"Wait! Forget it." Jessica pushed down her phone and sighed. Sunny smiled to herself. She knew that Jessica would do that.

The two girls sang along to the songs playing on the radio on their way to the cafe. Jessica had picked up Sunny before they go there.

Both were wearing casual clothings as it was an informal meeting. Jessica put on a long-sleeved shirt and a pair of tight jeans. A black high-heeled boots and a black shades to cover her eyes from the scorching sunlight. Her hair was tied up and her bangs combed down. Sunny wore a red plaid shirt and jeans with sneakers. Like Jessica, she tied her hair and let her fringe down. 

 

***

 

Yuri had asked Taeyeon to follow her instead of Tiffany. She don't want to take Tiffany's Saturday away. Afterall, it was only her first week.

As it was an informal meeting, or so she decided it to be, she wore a simple set of clothings. A t-shirt and her favourite black leather jacket, with a pair of jeans and sneakers. 

Yuri wanted to give Taeyeon a ride, despite not liking to take the car, but Taeyeon insisted on going by herself, making an excuse that she was already on her way there.

 

True enough, Taeyeon was the first to reach the place. 

Passerbys would mistake her as a kid with her laidback outfit. She was just wearing a long-sleeved printed t-shirt and a pair of black three-quarter pants, along with sneakers and a cap over her tied hair. 

Realising that she was the first to be there, she picked a table she thought was comfortable for the four of them, and waited for them to come. Looking around, she noticed a familiar someone standind by the counter, talking gleefully to the cashier.

'What is she doing here? Who is that cashier? Why is she smiling so widely?' All the thoughts were filling her mind. She shouldn't be bothered but since the first time they met, something about Tiffany kept her thinking every time.

 

Meanwhile, outside the cafe, the two "rivals" reached the place at the same time.

Jessica got out from her car and glared at Yuri.

Yuri took off her helmet and stared at Jessica. After smiling at Sunny who smiled back at her with friendliness. 

Jessica rolled her eyes at Yuri and took her steps to the cafe. 

Unfortunately, she tripped over the step up the pavement, letting out her high-pitched scream at the fear of falling. Lucky for her, Yuri, who have a quick reaction, managed to catch her before she fell face flat on the ground. 

Sunny gasped, but sighed after seeing Jessica safe in the hands of Yuri.

Yuri let out a silent giggle.

Embarassed, Jessica's face was flushed with redness. She pushed Yuri off her and continued walking to the cafe, watching her steps carefully this time. 

Sunny giggled too and patted Yuri's back as they followed behind the ice princess. "Thanks for saving her. Don't mind her. She's always like that." She said to Yuri.

"Huh. Guessed so."

 

The bell rang and Taeyeon saw Jessica streaming in with Yuri and Sunny. She raised up her hand, waving to them. 'Why does this girl look so.... fierce?' Taeyeon thought, looking at Jessica's stoned face and the way she sits and puts her bag on the table. She ignored the thought and greeted them. "Annyeong, Ms Jung, boss, and err..." She was stuck at Sunny.

She had seen the girl a few times already but still haven't had the time to learn her name.

"Sunny." Sunny finished off the sentence for Taeyeon and shake hands with her. Not without smiling too. 

'Friendly.' Taeyeon thought. 'Unlike her boss...'

"You don't have to call me boss. We're not working now. Well, I don't consider it as working." Yuri said to Taeyeon. 

"Yeah, and just call me Jessica. Or Sica." Jessica smiled at Taeyeon too.

'She looked moody just a few moments ago.... didn't she?' Taeyeon was surprised by the sudden change of mood. 

'Why is she all friendly towards Taeyeon??' Yuri was jealous of the unfair treatment she was getting from Jessica. 'Even asking her to call her by her nickname.... Pfft.'

"Okay. And you can just call me Taeyeon." Taeyeon offered Jessica a handshake. The ice princess gladly took it. 

All that was annoying Yuri. 'What is this?? It's okay... I'll win your heart one day.' Yuri was determined.

"Okay. Let's get on with the actual reason we're here." Yuri spoiled the seconds of relaxing moment and took out her notebook and her file which contained documents of the project.

Jessica too did the same.

Sunny and Taeyeon had their own notebook to jot down important notes. Things that they need to know as a secretary.

 

"Good afternoon. May I take your order?" All of them turned to the waitress who interrupted them when they were just about to start their discussion.

"Tiffany?" Yuri and Taeyeon asked. Sunny and Jessica won't surprised. They knew that Tiffany might be here to help Sooyoung.

 

***

 

"Eh? Isn't that Jessica and Sunny? And...? Who's that with them? That tall girl! Kwon something... Why  are they together now?" Sooyoung's mouth did not stopped, not giving Tiffany the chance to reply her first question first.

"Ah... They must be having their meeting." Tiffany saw Taeyeon and Jessica shaking hands and pouted a it. "I'll take their order." She took a pen and the pad of papers from the counter and walked towards her friends.

 

"Good afternoon. May I take your order?" 

"Tiffany?" Yuri and Taeyeon's had confused faces. Tiffany just smiled at them innocently.

"I'm helping my cousin. She's new with taking care of the cafe."

"Yeah yeah.. Nobody asked you that." Jessica interrupted and gestured her hand to Tiffany, asking her to move aside a little as she was blocking the big menu from her sight. "Double chocolate please."

Tiffany glared at her best friend, unhappy about the comment Jessica gave.

"What?" Jessica asked Tiffany like she did nothing wrong.

"Wh--" Tiffany was going to scream back at her but the situation was saved by Sunny. 

Sunny had stood up and flicked both the girls' forehead. "Okay! Don't start it now, you two!" Satisfied, Sunny sat back down and smiled, looking at the menu. "One caramel frappe. Thanks. Sorry, this two are always like this." She placed her order and apologised to Yuri and Taeyeon for her friends' behaviour.

The two rubbed their forehead, shocked by what Sunny did. They rolled their eyes at each other and then continued with their work. Jessica went on flipping her file while Tiffany took down their order. 

Yuri and Taeyeon just watched everything unbelievably, and gave Tiffany their orders.

Before leaving the table to submit their orders, Tiffany stuck out her tongue at Jessica childishly. 

Taeyeon giggled, finding it cute.

Jessica pouted in frustration and stared back at her papers.

Yuri clenched her fist, containing her urge to pinch the girl's cheeks.

 

The discussion started awkwardly when Yuri said, "So... We have to design a vacation place suitable for families."

The rest just nodded and go, "Yeah...."

Yuri sighed at their helpless reply. "So, do you have anything in mind, Sica?"

Chills went down Jessica's spine when she heard Yuri calling her by her nickname. It gave her a different feeling when Yuri said it. And it was making it hard for her to answer the question. She turned her head with slightly hung open.

"Jessica-shi?" The girl was being slow and Yuri had to ask again.

"N-neh? Me? For now, not yet..." She awkwardly shook her head, realising that she had stuttered.

Yuri nodded her head and looked up, bobbing her head from left to right.

Jessica accidentally stared at ther neck lines and gasped, turning her head away immediately.

"I think we should not think about the idea now. Let's plan when to meet first." Taeyeon suggested.

"That's exactly what I was thinking too." Sunny said.

"Yeah, you guys are right. So, when should we meet?" Yuri took out her phone and opened the calender, checking when she will be free. She realised that she is free almost everyday except for the third week of the month when she have a lot of event meetings. Yuri told Jessica that she won't be free on that week while Jessica checked her confirmed schedules too.

They were busy deciding when to meet when Tiffany came with their drinks. Everyone ifnored her presence and just took their drink without thanking her. 

Taeyeon noticed Tiffany pulling out a sad face. "Thank you, Tiffany." She shot a sweet smile at Tiffany.

Tiffany's lips curved up into a smile and her eyes naturally formed a crescent. Taeyeon instantly melted at the sight of the girl's beautiful eye smile. She thought that the ice in her drink must have melted too.

The eye contact between them lasted for awhile.

Sunny noticed the two and coughed softly, taking her drink from the tray TIffany was carrying. 

The two girls blushed and looked down after being knocked back to their senses. 

Meanwhile, Yuri and Jessica was still busy checking dates and times with each other.

 

***

 

"That's weird...." Tiffany mumbled to herself as she went back to the counter with the tray. Her mind was filled with so much thoughts that Sooyoung's presence at the counter had became invinsible to her.

"What is?" Sooyoung asked curiously. 

Tiffany looked at Sooyoung's face but her mind was still somewhere else. Her frowned for awhile and then she smiled again, chuckling softly too.

Sooyoung stared at her cousin, 'WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER?' She threw a towel at Tiffany's face. Tiffany caught it just in time before it dirty her face, and threw it back at Sooyoung.

"What's wrong with you?" She whined at her cousin.

"ME? It's you who's not okay!" Sooyoung shook her head and went to serve other customers. 

Tiffany laughed to herself again as she stepped behind the counter and sit on the chair, deciding to rest for awhile, even though she's not tired at all.

 

***

 

After thirty minutes of decision-making, the meeting dates were finally confirmed. Taeyeon and Sunny had also forced them to make an agreement not to argue unnecessarily, fight, or do anything stupid that will disrupt their work. They have to complete the project together and not mix personal feelings with their work. Be it positive feelings or negative feelings.

All were satisfied and decided to end their meeting for the day.

"I'm going to the restroom." Yuri stood up and stretched before walking to the toilet. 

 

Yuri bumped into Tiffany inside the toilet. Tiffany was walking towards the door while Yuri had just walked into the restroom. Both weren't looking infront.

"Mianhe." Tiffany smiled at Yuri awkwardly before walking off. 

"Wait. Tiffany." Yuri grabbed hold of her wrist, swinging her around. Inside her head was the incident that happened a few days ago. The incident that she have yet to clear off.

Tiffany gulped. She was thankful that Yuri had released her hand. She didn't want to yank it off and look like she was avoiding her because of the incident. She didn't want Yuri to have the wrong impression of her. She don't like Yuri any more than what their relationship is. Boss and secretary. Like what she had told her best friends and cousin. What happened a few days ago, it had confused her too. She was not in the right mind although she was not drunk or anything.

"About the other day..." Yuri continued.

But before she can say any more, Tiffany cut in. "Err, Yuri-shi... That was. I didn't know what I was thinking. I-I'm sorry if this will hurt you. It's not that I don't like you. I do. But n-not that way..." 

Yuri sighed. Tiffany had made everything easier for her. She smiled and it confused Tiffany more.

"You're not... upset?"

"Ani. I was going to clear things off. I didn't know what I was thinking too at that time. It just... Well, you know what I mean." Yuri scratched her head and rolled her eyes at herself for not being able to find the correct explanation. She just wanted to end the misunderstandings there might be between them. Tiffany just nodded and smiled back, relieved. "Okay. So, friends, yeah?" Yuri held out her hand.

TIffany giggled at her and hugged her instead. "Good friends." Yuri smiled and rubbed Tiffany's back. 

Both were glad that they now know that it was unintentional.

 

***

 

Sooyoung was inside the cubicle. She was going to unlock the door when she heard, "Wait. Tiffany."

She immediately pulled her hand back and eavesdropped the whole conversation between the two.

'What incident...?' She started praying that they would say something about the incident but only ended up disappointed. 

 

 

***

 

Not long after Yuri left...

"I'm going to the toilet too." Jessica put down her cup of drink on the table and got up, leaving the two alone.

She didn't know that even going to the toilet could pain her.

Opening the door, she saw her best friend hugging her enemy. 

Her need to use the bathroom disappeared at that second and she banged the door, walking back to the table.

 

Yuri saw Jessica and was going to release the hug but the bang frightened them both. Tiffany immediately let go and turn around to look at the door.

"Jessica." That was the only thing that Yuri could say.

"Jessica??" Tiffany panicked. She knew Jessica must have seen them and surely is having untrue assumptions. Without delaying, she rushed out and ran after her best friend.

 

Sooyoung eyes balled out when she heard the door bang. She nearly died of heart attack.

After hearing Tiffany leaving the toilet, she leaved the cubicle and saw Yuri looking at herself in the mirror with a weary face.

"Was it really Jessica banging the door?" she asked while still calming herself down. 

"I saw her standing at the door." Yuri sighed and put her hands on the sink counter.

"Wae?" Sooyoung washed her hands.

"How would I know!" Yuri was feeling frustrated at herself.

"Chillax. Why are you screaming? I was just asking nicely." Sooyoung glanced at Yuri who had her face held down.

Yuri sighed again and asked. "Is there something going on between Tiffany and Jessica?" 

"The two? They are just best friends. Waeyo?" Sooyoung was suspicious about Yuri's sudden query.

"Nothing." Yuri said at first but then decided to speak out her mind. "Then why does she seem jealous when I offered Tiffany a ride, and when we were hugging just a few moments ago?"

Sooyoung didn't know how to answer. She couldn't confirm anything as she just get back with them quite recently. She wouldn't have known anything that might have happened when she was not here. They must have kept it from her.

"I don't know.... I just came back to Korea, you see." She said and thought again. "Jessica like Tiffany? That's..... unbelievable."

Yuri turned her head and looked at Sooyoung. "What do you mean unbelievable?"

"Tiffany is... not straight. It is possible that she like Jessica. But she would have told me if she do." Sooyoung was getting a little angry, thinking that they have been hiding things from her. "They are close but they argue and fight unreasonably all the time." 

"But they are close?" 

"Uhuh. Why do care anyway?" Sooyoung realised she was just answering to a stranger without knowing the reason why Yuri was asking.

"Just wondering." Yuri then remembered that she need to pee and walked into the cubicle.

Sooyoung was getting annoyed that Yuri didn't want to tell her. She has the right to know. "Yah! I won't leave until you tell me. Wae? Are you interested in my cousin?" 

After a while of silence, a flush sound was heard and Yuri came out of the cubicle. She gave Sooyoung the -.- face as she cleaned her hands with soap.

"You like her?" Sooyoung asked again.

"No! Don't make me poke your eyeballs with this soapy finger." Yuri washed off the soap and wipe her hands with the tissue.

"Then, it's Jessica." Sooyoung smiled and left the toilet.

Yuri just sighed and shook her head. 'That girl.... Aish.'

 

***

 

"Jessica!" Tiffany called out to her best friend. 

As expected, Jessica ignored her but she managed to grab Jessica's hand before she reach the table. It would be hard for her to talk if they're at the table with Taeyeon there.

"Jessica, don't misunderstand. It didn't mean anything." Tiffany desperately begged her to listen. 

"What are you talking about?" Jessica raised her eyebrow, acting blur.

"You know what I'm talking about. It's seriously nothing. We were just apologising for something that happened the other day." 

"Really?" Jessica still had her eyebrows raised. Now, she was wondering what had happened that they had to apologise to each other for.

"Yesssssh!" Tiffany whined. Convincing Jessica have always been hard.

"Fine. I know you will never lie to me." Jessica now had a straight face. "But what happened the other day?" 

"Thank you!" She said in English, sighing after that. "I will tell you that next time. I need to serve customers now." Tiffany then hugged her best friend before doing her job.

"Make sure you do." Jessica patted her back and then walked back to her table. 

 

***

 

From the table Sunny and Taeyeon were at, they could hear the loud bang. Everybody was looking at the direction where the sound came from.

A few seconds after that, Jessica walked out from the corner, followed by a running Tiffany.

The two girls just watched in astonishment, wondering what must have happened. 

Seeing Tiffany hugging Jessica shifted Taeyeon's heart a little. She averted her eyes to her cup of drink and sip from the straw. Sunny could sense that Taeyeon was uncomfortable with what they had seen.

"Don't worry. They're just best friends. Always fighting and then hugging." Sunny finished off her sentence quickly before Jessica reached their table.

"Oh." Taeyeon nodded, surprised at how Sunny knew what she was thinking. 'Was it that obvious?'

 

"What happened? Why was there a loud bang?" Sunny asked as soon as Jessica sat at her seat.

"Nothing." The girl smiled. She was actually just lazy to explain what happened. 

Sunny didn't bother to ask again, knowing that it would bring her nowhere. 

"I'm leaving first. Take care, guys. Bye." Jessica slung her bag on her shoulder and took a last sip from her drink before waving to her friends and leaving. 

 

A few seconds later, Yuri came back, asking where was Jessica.

"She just left." The two short girls answered at the same time. 

"Ah. I'm gonna go too. Bye, guys." Yuri didn't even sit or finish her drink. She just took her bag and went out too.

Taeyeon and Sunny looked at each other. 

"That's weird..." Taeyeon said, peeping outside the window to check on the two.

"Very weird..." Sunny agreed and joined Taeyeon.

 

TBC

 

 

mianhe!!!
i updated late. i know.... 
i wasn't feeling well the past few days. ><

thanks for still reading. :')
i will try my best to update as soon as i can! ^^

saranghae subscribers & readers! <3
comments are appreciated! ^^

peace out! (Y)

 

P.S: seriously unhappy with this SOPA thingy. X(