Chapter 06

Live Again

Sehun knew everything. From the beginning he was aware of Miyeon's love for his friend Joonmyun and how that love was bound to be hurtful for her. That was one of the reasons he treated her differently from everyone else he worked with. Joonmyun was cold to her at the start, but Sehun decided not to be. He wanted her to feel comfortable at work, so he was always friendly to her. They became good friends in a short time. Even though she was older than him, he felt the need to protect her from anything that could hurt her. She became like a sister to him.

Of course, he didn't always act like a brother to her. He would sometimes use a cheesy pickup line on her, or throw a cheesy comment about her looks, but it was his way of joking with her. She would also compliment him endlessly and they would end up laughing their butts off.

Sehun's primary goal now was to get Miyeon and his stubborn friend Joonmyun together. He knew that it wouldn't be easy, but he was determined not to give up. When Jongin informed him about the call Joonmyun made to her, he was more than happy. Finally his friend moved from the dead spot.

When Sehun arrived to Joonmyun's office, he could do nothing but sigh. His friend burried his head in the papers, his hair messy and dark circles visible under his eyes.

"Since when are you here?" Sehun asked, taking a seat.

"Six a.m, I think", Joonmyun replied, not looking up.

"Why am I not surprised? So, the Canadians are arriving today. Are you ready for the meeting?"

"The question is, are you ready, Sehun? I heard that you've been going out quite a lot lately, I don't think you prepared for the meeting in a club", Joonmyun spoke, his voice calm, but scary at the same time.

The icy Joonmyun is back, Sehun thought. "I'm ready for the meeting, don't worry."

A knock made them both look to the door. "Come in", Joonmyun said.

Miyeon entered quickly. "The Canadians are here. They apologise for arriving earlier than it was arranged, but they have a meeting with their ambassador later and they want to sign the contract as soon as possible."

Both Sehun and Joonmyun got up. Sehun ran out to his office to prepare the papers and Miyeon went after him. Joonmyun put on his jacket and looked to the mirror, only to see his messy hair. He looked as if he had just woken up. He couldn't appear like that in front of those people. What would they think of him? His hands were running through his hair, trying to fix it, but it turned out to be much worse. He was too nervous to think straight.

Miyeon came back again to call him. "Mr. Kim, they are waiting."

He huffed. "I'll be there soon. It's just my stupid hair, messing like this." She noticed that he was struggling, so she slowly approached him.

"May I help you?" she asked shyly. He sighed and nodded. Miyeon stood in front of him and slowly started to fix his hair. She didn't dare to look him in the face, because she knew she would be dead in no time. She was never close to him like this before, except then when she cleaned his wound. His perfume was strong, addicting. Look at his hair, don't inhale his scent, don't look at his face!, she repeated in her head, trying to calm herself and her thoughts.

Joonmyun took a good look at her face. He never really paid attention to her before. Her eyes looked pleasant upclose. Her nose was small, he even saw a tiny mole on its left side. He blinked before landing his eyes on her lips. They were tiny and more red than pink. He found himself staring at them, almost imagining...No, he didn't imagine, he couldn't! That was Miyeon, his secretary. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"It's done", Miyeon said, taking a few steps back. "Shall we go now?"

"Ugh, yes, yes, let's go", he uttered.

Miyeon knew that her cheeks were probably as red as a tomato, so she fanned herself with some papers. She was nervous. She glanced at Joonmyun, who looked calm as ever. Of course it didn't affect him. She was the only one who was nervous from the contact, not him.

"Kang Miyeon!" she heard a somehow familiar voice calling her from the end of the hall. She frowned. The voice was coming from someone who was standing with the Canadian delegation. As soon as she approached them, she recognized the person who was calling her.

"Kris Wu!" she exclaimed, her eyes opened widely. "What are you doing here?" She ran into his arms and gave him a tight hug. 

"You are still short, I see", he and she smacked his shoulder. She turned around to see a very confused looking Joonmyun.

"You two know each other?" he asked.

"Yes, I met Miyeon when I stayed here as an exchange student", Kris replied. "She helped me with my Korean a lot."

Miyeon smiled happily. She would have never assumed that she would meet Kris at the company she worked.

"Let's start with the meeting, shall we?" Joonmyun suggested and everyone agreed.

 

The meeting was over an hour and a half later. They signed the contract and other members of the Canadian team went to the embassy, while Kris stayed some more to talk to Miyeon.

"Joonmyun never told me that you were his secretary. Well, he didn't know that we knew each other", Kris said, leaning on her desk.

"You two knew each other as well?"

"Yes, we met at a basketball game while I was still studying here", he said, "we remained good friends after I left to Canada. That's not important, tell me about yourself. How's life?"

She smiled wealky."You see, I work here. I live with my brother. There's nothing much, really."

Kris nodded. "You know, I'm kind of surprised to see you working as a secretary. I expected you to be a CEO with your skills." He knew that she had been an excellent student.

She shrugged. "When I graduated, I couldn't find a job right away. This was the first job I was offered so I accepted it, and I stayed. It's not the job I studied for, but it's not bad either."

Kris nodded once again. "I have something to propose to you. Come to Canada with me. We need an assistent in our financial department."

"Kris, I-I don't know what to say", she muttered, shocked by his proposal. "I can't decide right away."

He chuckled loudly. "You don't have to decide right now, of course. Let's meet tonight for a dinner, to catch up. You can tell me your decision tonight." Miyeon nodded. "Alright, I'll pick you up after work." He hugged her quickly and waved goodbye, leaving her in thoughts.

Going to Canada would be great. She would even do the job she studied for and live in a different country. That would be a great opportunity. But there was a problem. She would miss her brother and her parents, her friends too. Leaving would mean that she would have to leave everything behind, and she wasn't sure if she was ready to make that step. As she stood there, thinking about Kris' proposal, she was completely unaware of Joonmyun's presence. He heard her conversation with Kris and it felt him in deep thought, too. He hurried to his office to think in peace.

 

 

The dinner with Kris went great. They talked for almost three hours, laughing and remembering everything they did together. Miyeon found out that Kris had a girlfriend and he was planing to propose to her. She was happy for him, knowing that he was a great guy and he deserved only happiness.

When he asked her about her love life, all she had managed to say was that she was single. She couldn't tell him about her never-ending crush on her boss. Of course, he couldn't believe her.

"Come on, Miyeon, stop kidding me! You can't be single, you always had tons of guys coming after you."

She shrugged. "Yes, but that was in the past. Now there's pretty much no one interested in me. I'm not interested in anyone either. I enjoy my single life", she said more to herself than to him, as if she was trying to convince herself that she was telling the truth.

"Alright. So, what have you decided? Are you going with me or staying here?" he asked.

Miyeon took a sip of her wine. "I-I'm not ready to leave Korea. Leaving for Canada would mean that I would have to start a new life and change everything, and I'm not ready. Thank you for your offer, but I can't accept it."

Kris nodded, but he looked disappointed. "Alright, but that doesn't mean that you can't come to visit me. You can come with Joonmyun, he visits me whenever he's in Canada", he said with a smile, while Miyeon coughed.

"Are you alright?" he asked and she only nodded.

"Sure, I'll visit you. Maybe I'll come to your wedding, if you invite me, of course."

He smiled widely. "Of course you'll be invited."

 

They exchanged numbers and Kris took her home. They said goodbyes, but he didn't let her go until she promised that she would visit him.

That night Miyeon couldn't sleep. What if she had missed a huge opportunity, what if she had made a huge mistake? Those thoughts kept her awake for half of the night. She wondered how she was going to work through the next day without passing out on her desk.