Chapter 21

Live Again

Everything was planned. The table at the restaurant reserved, a gift bought. Joonmyun prepared everything. He didn't want to wait anymore. He would confess his love for her that night. Although he didn't ask her out for dinner yet,  he was sure that she would accept.

Of course, Sehun had to . He was in his office the entire morning and kept giving him advice on how to treat Miyeon at their date. When he crossed all the borders of his patience, Joonmyun kicked him out, threatening to fire him if he showed up in the next few hours.

Taking a deep breath, he took the phone to call her into his office, but before he managed to dial the number, someone knocked on the door. She entered the office and he smiled immediately. This is probably a sign, he thought.

"Have a seat, please", he said, but she shook her head.

"I have something important to tell you, Joonmyun-sshi." She put down an envelope on his desk. "I want to quit."

Joonmyun froze. He didn't move a single bit while his head was in a mess. Questions were constantly piling up in his mind but there was only one that he could ask out loud. 

"Why?"

She gulped. "I'm moving back to Daegu."

He couldn't believe her words, he refused to believe. Why was she leaving all of a sudden? Why now when he wanted to confess? "What are you going to do in Daegu?"

"I actually got an offer for a new job there." She paused and looked up to him. He was looking at her with sadness in his eyes, the sadness she didn't understand. "I was offered the position of a finance director and I accepted", she said, somehow feeling guilty, even though she didn't have the right to feel so. 

He wanted to tell her not to go, to shout to her how much he loved her, to beg her on his knees to stay with him, but all he could manage was to smile sadly. Who am I to stop you, Miyeon? I can't be that selfish and make you stay here. You deserve better.

"I have to congratulate you then", he said, giving her a wide smile this time. "You are finally going to do the job you love the most."

It was hard for her to hold her tears back. Although she had a week more to work there before officially quitting, she felt as it that was the last time she saw him.

She bowed and quickly left the office, afraid that she might start crying in front of him. 

He took the envelope she left and opened it with shaky hands. It only contained her resignation letter which he didn't want to read. 

 

 

"I am really glad that you found time to see me", Yunho said as he pulled out a chair for her. 

"I am on a lunch break now. What brings you here, to Seoul?" she asked.

"I had some business here. How are you?"

She nodded. "You could say that I am alright. Considering the fact that I quit my job this morning, I'm pretty good", she said, chuckling dryly. He smiled widely at her.

"You have no idea how glad I am that you will be working with me. How long do you have to stay there?" 

She looked away from him. "Just a week more", she muttered and it finally dawned on her. Just one more week and she would have to leave. It was unbelieveable but true. She would  no longer work there, see her friends every day. And of course, she would never see him again. Her boss whom she fell in love with at first sight. Her boss who had never paid attention to her, her boss who didn't love her the way she wanted him to. Her ex boss, to be precise.

"Miyeon-sshi, can I ask you something?" he asked carefully. She nodded. "Can we drop the formalities? I feel more comfortable talking to you like that."

"Sure, I don't mind." He heaved a sigh and smiled. The waiter came and they ordered some coffee. 

"Where is the company you work?"

"It's right here, the building across the road", she said, sipping her coffee.

 

Entering the bar, Joonmyun easily spotted Miyeon sitting at a table with a man unknown to him. He wanted to approach them, but he didn't want to cause a scene. He sat at the bar and ordered a drink. It looked like she didn't notice him. He kept glancing at them, but he didn't notice anything weird and suspicious about them. They were just talking and he didn't feel jealous or consider the man a threat. He couldn't consider anyone a threat anymore. He had lost his chance with her. Downing another drink, he turned to look at them.They were apparently done with their drink, because they were standing.

Yunho paid the bill. "I'll see you soon then, Miyeon."

"Yes. I'll let you know when I deffinitely move to Daegu. Maybe in ten to fifteen days."

Yunho hesitated a bit before leaning in a giving her a kiss on her cheek. Caught by surprise, Miyeon just stared at him in shock. "I'm sorry, I couldn't resist", he said and took a step back. She didn't say a thing and walked out of the cafe.

He saw it all. He saw the kiss on the cheek, the look in that man's eyes when he looked at her. Joonmyun saw it all, but he couldn't react. He wanted to punch the man, to punish him for daring to kiss her, but all the strenght he had in his body had left him. The only thing he could do was to order a new drink, and he did. He wasn't going back to work. He downed another glass of drink and it felt nice. It made the pain go away, at least for a few seconds. "More", he said to the bartender. "More drinks will help", he whispered, knowing that he said the biggest lie of all.