Chapter 05

Live Again

There it was. That awful feeling of sadness and helplessness that he managed to control during the other days, but on that particular day the feeling became much stronger and it crushed all of his defensive walls.
That day when he did nothing but sat in his room, holding a photo of two smiling people and crying. He would look up to the shelf from time to time, only to see another photo of her, the only woman he had ever loved. Jongdae once gathered all of her photos and wanted to throw them away, but he managed to stop his brother in time.

It had been three years since she broke up with him, leaving him to suffer. Yet, he still wanted her. He blamed himself for the breakup, it was his possessiveness that she couldn't stand. But he couldn't do anything about it. His love for her was immense, it made him blind and completely unsensible.

"Hyung, open the damn door!" he could hear Jongdae shouting. "Hyung, open the door, please", he heard Jongin, his tone softer and less threatening than Jongdae's.

"I swear I'm gonna break the door if you don't open!" Jongdae screamed. Two seconds later, his phone rang in the living room. It was probably Jongdae calling. He could be really pestering sometimes. "Open the damn door!"

Why can't you understand that I want to be alone. He got up and dragged himself to the front door. He opened the door and saw his brothers bowing to an old lady and apologizing for the noise they made. If he had the strenght, Joonmyun would have laughed at the scene.

"Well thank God you opened!" Jongdae stormed into the apartment, Jongin following after him.

"Hyung, are you alright?" Jongin put his hand on his shoulder. All he could do was just nodd, but Jongin saw that he wasn't alright.

"I really can't believe you, hyung!" Jongdae said, throwing his hands in the air. "What is wrong with you? It has been more than three years, get over it already."

Joonmyun felt like a child who had been scolded. Jongdae was right, but he simply couldn't let go.

"You are being selfish, hyung. Have you ever though how the two of us feel seeing you like this, how painful it is for us? He never tells you that", he pointed at Jongin, whose head hung low, "but he misses you. You don't smile like you used to, you don't act like you used to. OK, I understand, she left you, hurt you, but three years have passed since that. We want our brother back."

Jongdae's little speech caused Joonmyun to sit down on the couch. Jongdae was completely right. He had been so selfish that he never paid attention to his brothers, to people around him. All he saw was his own pain.

"Hyung, it's going to be alright", Jongin said and sat next to him. "Just try, try to forget, we'll be with you." Jongin's words made him burst into tears and Jongin hugged him.

"I can't believe this! All you do is crying, you do nothing to solve your problems!" Jongdae said sharply. Jongin turned to glare at him, but seeing that his eyes were b with tears, he just motioned him to leave. He knew that all of that was hard for Jongdae, too, even though he never really showed his emotions, especially not cried in front of them. Jongdae left the apartment quickly.

"Hyung, forgive him. He can be a little harsh sometimes, but he truly cares for you."

Joonmyun nodded. "I-I know. He is right, everything he said is right. I'm really sorry that I hurt you, both of you. But, it's really hard for me. I hope that you understand."

A sigh left Jongin's mouth. "I understand you, hyung. Don't worry, we'll help you. But you are the one who has to make the decision to change something."

Joonmyun nodded and wiped his tears. His phone beeped. Jongin got up and picked up the phone from the floor. "Who is it?" Joonmyun asked.

"It's a message. From Kang Miyeon."

"Read it."

"President Kim, you haven't showed up today at work. Canadians called and said they are ready to start another round of meetings. Is your arm alright? I hope you went to the doctors to check that up", Jongin read the message out loud and frowned. "What happened to your arm, hyung?"

"Nothing, a shelf fell on my shoulder and cut me. Miyeon-sshi was there and she cleaned the wound."

"Did you get that checked up?" Jongin asked worriedly, to which Joonmyun nodded. "What should I reply to her?"

"Give me the phone", he said and Jongin obeyed. "I'm going to call her." Joonmyun looked to his phone and missed to see the smile that appeared on his brother's face. Never did Joonmyun talk to other people aside from him and Jongdae when he was in that state. But now he was calling Miyeon. That was a small step, but Jongin was sure that his brother was already making progress. Maybe he finally noticed how much she cares about him.

"Miyeon-sshi, I hope I didn't interrupt you in the middle of something."

"No, of course not, President Kim. I've just finished my dinner."

"Oh. I am just calling to tell you that I received you text. Thank you for informing me about the Canadians, and I went to see the doctor. It's alright, thanks to your help", he said.

"I am glad that it's nothing serious." They were both quiet for a few moments. 

"I'll see you tomorrow, Miyeon-sshi."

"Goodnight, President Kim."

"Goodnight, Miyeon-sshi", he said and hung up. A small smile appeared on his lips and it was caught by Jongin, of course.

On the other side, Miyeon's heart was doing anything but beating steadily. Her boss called her! He talked to her, not just replied with a short text. Maybe it meant something. But after a few moments she calmed down. It was always like that. She would always get her hopes up, but eventually she would face with disappointment. She quickly showered and went to bed, her thoughts occupied by no one else but him.