Chapter 11

Live Again

Instead of getting ready for the business dinner with their Norwegian partners and finishing the proposal for the new contract about oil import, Joonmyun was sitting in his chair and staring blankly into the papers on his desk. He wanted to get to work, but he couldn't. An hour ago, he received an anonyomus letter containing a short message and a photo.

"Park Hyeri is now married. Stop looking for her." The message was written at the back of the photo. Hyeri was wearing a beautiful wedding dress. Her husband was next to her, holding her hand. She was happy, and seeing her that happy Joonmyun couldn't hate her. Even though he was still suffering and unhappy, he was glad that at least she was happy. It hurt him, but less than he had expected. And that was what confused him the most. He was hurt by the news of her marriage, but he somehow accepted it. The love of his life got married, but why didn't he cry?
Why aren't you crying, Joonmyun? Why are you accepting it? Why don't you care? He rubbed his eyes and looked at the papers in front of him. He had so much work to do and not so much time to do it. Maybe he could ask Miyeon for help.

With Miyeon, everything was done in an hour. He started to think that she was more capable than Sehun for the job, but Sehun had connections that brought the company a lot of clients.

"Miyeon-sshi, you were an excellent student in college, right?"

Miyeon was surprised by the question. "I had excellent grades, yes."

"How come that you couldn't find a better job? I saw your grades and, I have to tell you, they are more than impressive", he said. "Only my brother Jongdae had grades like that, he's the genius of the family", he chuckled.

"Thank you Mr. Kim. Well, I tried to find a better job, but as I had no connections and I wasn't from Seoul, I wasn't successful. This job is also good", she said, getting up from her seat. "If that is all, I am leaving."

"Just one more thing", he said. "I apologize if I ruined your plans for the date with Luhan, but this dinner is very important for the company."

Miyeon frowned. "A date? I am not dating Luhan, Mr.Kim. He just invited me for dinner, nothing else."

Joonmyun shook his head. "I am sorry, I thought you two were dating. Anyways, I am sorry that you will have to attend a boring business dinner instead of hanging out Luhan."

She smiled. "It is alright."

 

After she left, Joonmyun was left in deep thought. He couldn't help but to think about Luhan and Miyeon together. He had heard Luhan talking about Miyeon multiple times with Minho. Luhan would always say how nice she looked, how pretty she was. He only hoped that Luhan had good intentions with her. Now he understood Sehun's words when he said that he always felt the need to protect her. It was weird, but Joonmyun wanted to protect her from getting hurt. To him, the fact that him and Miyeon weren't friends started to seem strange. She had been his employee for three years and yet they were nothing but a boss and his secretary. He knew that was his fault, because during that period he didn't want anyone near him except his family and a couple of old friends. Now he decided to correct that and make Miyeon his friend.

 

The business dinner went great. Norwegians were amazed with everything, especially with Miyeon. Her impressive English skills and her knowledge about the business left them speechless. Joonmyun smiled during the entire dinner. Business dinners were usually boring and he usually couldn't wait for them to be finished, but now he was sad that it ended.

Miyeon was really happy. She finally did the job she studied for, she was in the business, making deals with clients. It was almost a dream come true.

"The dinner went great, Miyeon-sshi. I have to tell you that you were great", Joonmyun said. "I think that they all fell in love with you."

Her smile fell a bit when he said "fell in love." Only you didn't fall in love with me. "Thank you, Mr. Kim. I'll see you tomorrow", she said.

"How are you going to get home, Miyeon-sshi?" he asked.

"I'll call my brother. He will pick me up", she took out her phone.

Joonmyun shook his head. "I can take you home." The words that slipped out of his mouth sounded so unreal to Miyeon. But they didn't make her happy. She wanted to cry after hearing them. She was supposed to be away from him, now when she wanted to forget about him. Why was he doing this now, when she was ready to move on?

"There is no need for that, Mr. Kim. Don't bother yourself with me, please."

He sighed. "Miyeon-sshi, I'm not leaving without you."

 

Another sleepless night for Miyeon. Sleepless night filled with tears. Was he aware how much he hurt her? No, he wasn't. She still couldn't forget about that woman who visited him in the office, her messy hair, the half unbottoned coat which revealed her underwear. I can take you home. She hated those words, because they gave her hope. A hope which was bound to be crushed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"So you are telling me that my older brother is finally coming to his senses?" Jongdae looked at Sehun with his eyebrows raised.

Sehun nodded slowly. "While I was sick they had to work together. I guess he finally started to notice her. He even took her home after a business dinner."

Jongdae almost choked on his drink. "That is unusual from him."

"The only thing I'm worried about is Luhan", Sehun said. "That guy keeps showing up near her. He even asked her out for a dinner."

"Do you think that he might be a threat?"

"I don't know. But don't worry, I'll scare him away, just in case", Sehun smiled, raising his glass.