Chapter 14

Live Again

The destination of Miyeon's vacation was Gangwon-do Province, which was known for its beautiful beaches. Hyoyeon, Woobin, Kyungsoo and Miyeon arrived in the hotel early in the morning. Miyeon roomed with Hyoyeon, but she did so reluctantly, because Hyoyeon could be really noisy sometimes. She wanted to room with Kyungsoo, because he was quiet and similar to her.

They decided to have a rest first and then go to the beach. Miyeon had a nice nap. She woke up and saw that Hyoyeon was still sleeping, so she decided to sneak out and take a walk alone. Coming out on the promenade, she could only stare at the sea and admire it. She walked along, inhaling the nice, fresh air. It felt nice being alone, free of all the burden from work.

"Miyeon-sshi", she heard a very familliar voice calling her. I'm probably imagining things right now, she thought, so she brushed it off. But when she heard her name being called for the second time, she was sure that she wasn't dreaming. She turned around and saw him smiling widely. "Joonmyun-sshi, I'm surprised seeing you here."

"Well, the surprise is mine, too", he said, not taking his eyes off her. She looked so beautiful in that white dress that he wanted to hug her. "Can I join you for your walk?"

"Sure", she muttered. They started walking down the promenade. Everything seemed so unreal to Miyeon. She was walking with her boss on the seacoast, enjoying the beauty of the place. She was afraid to talk, because if she did, she thought that the spell would be broken. But at the same time she was curious why he was there, when she knew that he had booked a flight to Bora Bora.

"Joonmyun-sshi, weren't you supposed to go to Bora-Bora for your vacation? I know that you had booked the flight and hotel room."

He nodded. "Yes, but I called it off. I had an emergency, my mother was sick so I couldn't go."

"Is your mother alright?" she asked worriedly. He nodded. "So I decided to come here. We have a house here, near the beach", he said. "I came here with a couple of friends."

"I came here with my friends too", she said. "We are staying in a hotel near here."

"Do I know them?"

"I think you know Hyoyeon", she said and he nodded. "You know Kyungsoo too. Woobin is also with us."

At the mention of the two male names, his eyes darkened. "So, your male friends are here, too", he said. "Are all of you close?"

"Yes. Hyoyeon, Kyungsoo, Woobin and I have known each other since middle school. We stayed close ever since", she said. "Now when I think of that, it is really amazing."

"It really is", he agreed. 

"Yes, Kyungsoo even lives in the apartment next to mine. He often drops by. Sometimes I have to throw him out when he stays for too long", she laughed and he could only smile bitterly.

"Funny guy, that Kyungsoo", he mumbled.

"But he is a great friend. Sometimes when I don't have time to cook, he makes something for me, and it's always something really tasty."

Joonmyun bit his lip. "I have to say that I envy Kyungsoo."

Miyeon stopped walking. "Why would you envy him, Joonmyun-sshi?"

"Because he can cook. I'm terrible at cooking", he said. Because he is close to you, he thought.

She chuckled. "I'm not good at cooking, too."

"What? You are a great cooker, your kimchi stew was great", he said and she smiled and thanked him. 

"I should go back to hotel now", she said, noticing how far they had walked. He agreed.

On their way back, Miyeon saw an ice cream stand and asked Joonmyun to wait for her to buy one. When she was about to pay, he sneaked up behind her and handed the seller his card. "And one more ice cream please. Chocolate and strawberry."Startled by how close he was, Miyeon trembled a bit. He stood right behind her and stretched his arm to take his ice cream and card. Her heart thumped faster when he put his other hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright, Miyeon-sshi? I think you trembled a bit", he said, his voice filled with concern.

She gulped and shook her head. "I'm alright. It's probably that I'm a bit dizzy from the sun", she lied, but the next thing almost made her faint. He gently rubbed her back and smiled at her. "Then we should hurry up so you can have a rest", he said and she could only nod faintly. 

 

Laying on her stomach in her hotel room, Miyeon kept thinking about Joonmyun and his actions. He seemed so different than before, more comfortable around her than ever. He even touched her back and her shoulder. His voice was soft when he spoke to her, nothing like the cold tone he had in the office. It was just so confusing to her. Why now? What could be the reason for his different behaviour? Maybe he was desperate that the woman he loved so much had gotten married, so he wanted to find a replacement or someone to distract him from thinking about her? She shook her head. She knew that he wasn't like that. Even if he really wanted a replacement for that woman, she would never agree to be one.