Chapter 12

Live Again

"Luhan, I'm warning you. Stay away from her", Sehun said through gritted teeth. Luhan shook his head.

"You can't forbid me."

Sehun smirked. "You're right, I can't do that. But I can fire you", he snapped his fingers, "like this."

Luhan's eyes widened. "You wouldn't."

"Oh yes, I would."

"Why do you care so much about her? You want her for yourself, don't you?" he said angrily.

Sehun sighed. "You are stupid. Can't you see that she would only use you? She is in love with someone else. She is my friend, I know her well, better than you."

Luhan looked to the ground. "Who is that guy?" he said after a while.

"I'll leave that to you to figure it out", Sehun said. "And keep my warning in mind."

"It's Joonmyun, isn't it?" Luhan said bitterly. Sehun stopped in his tracks. "I knew it. The way she looks at him gives her away. And he is stupid, he doesn't notice that."

"You can't fight against him", Sehun said. "She had been in love with him for a long time."

Luhan gave him a half smile. "Don't worry, I won't try anything with her. She is too good for me anyway."

 

 

Miyeon was eating her lunch when she heard Jongdae's voice calling her. He was soon next to her, his smile bright.

"How are you Miyeon-sshi? Is my brother giving you a hard time?" he said.

She smiled. "Which one of your brothers? Younger one or the older one?"

"The older one, of course! Jonginnie is a good one."

"President Kim is great to work with", she said. She loved to talk to Jongdae. He was only a year older than her, so they were pretty close. He was just so relaxed and always funny. Everyone loved it when Jongdae visited the company. He did it often when he had breaks between classes. He was a professor at Korea University.

Jongdae peeked at her computer screen, as he was always curious. "A dating site? Miyeon-sshi, what are you doing?" he gave her an unimpressed look.

She huffed. "I decided to listen to my friend and go on a blind date. I'm looking for some candidates on this website."

He shook his head multiple times. "This is unbelieveable. Sehun, please come here, will you?" he called out to Sehun, who was standing in the middle of the hall, staring into his phone. He approached them. "Sehunnie, my dear", he flashed him a creepy smile.

Sehun looked at him and blinked a few times. "Hyung, you are scaring me. Is there something you need?"

Jongdae laughed this time to ease Sehun's tension. "I need your help. No, Miyeon-sshi needs your help."

"No, I don't", she blurted out. Jongdae half smiled, half glared at her. "Yes, you do. Sehunnie, do you maybe have a handsome, but also awfully flirty", he whispered the last few words so Miyeon couldn't hear, "friend in your rich collection of friends?"

"I-I think I do. Why?"

"Well, that's great! Miyeon-sshi wants to go out on a blind date, so I was wondering if you could arrange a date with that friend for her?" 

Sehun shook his head. "Why would I do that?"

"Tomorrow, four p.m, at "Two Moons", with that friend", he winked at him. Sehun smirked, finally understanding his point.

"No problem, hyung", he said, winking back at him. "And you!" he snapped at Miyeon, "Don't look up such things on Internet, those are all creeps! I'll find you someone nice, don't worry."

Her eyes flickered from one to another. Something was very weird with those two. They smiled at her and left to Joonmyun's office.

"Don't you two have work to do?" Those were the first words Joonmyun said when the two entered his office. They responded by shaking their heads. Joonmyun burried his head in papers, ignoring their presence.

"You don't have to be rude, really", Jongdae said, pretending to be offended.

"I'm just not in the mood for people, that's all", he replied.

"What happened?" Sehun asked, playing with the pens on Joonmyun's desk.

"This happened!" he snapped, throwing a photo on the desk. Jongdae grabbed the photo. "Hyeri is married, that's what happened." Both Sehun and Jongdae looked at him, not knowing what to say. "What did I do to deserve all of this? What? Even Miyeon is ignoring me." At the mention of Miyeon's name, both of them frowned. "Just when I thought I could be friends with her, she starts acting like this. This is so frustrating."

Jongdae threw a look at Sehun's direction and they both nodded. "Well, I don't know why Miyeon would ignore you. Did you do something wrong?" Sehun said.

"I don't know. After that business dinner and after I gave her a ride home, she somehow became distant to me", he said. Why was he telling this to Jongdae and Sehun? He didn't know, but he just had to tell someone what was troubling him.

Jongdae shrugged. "Maybe she has a jealous boyfriend who doesn't want her to have male friends, or to be close with any male?"

Joonmyun frowned. Maybe Jongdae was right. Maybe she's dating Luhan after all. "Maybe", he said, now feeling more uneasy than before. 

 

"Hyung, you are a genius!" Sehun exclaimed when they left Joonmyun's office. Jongdae put his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, I get that often. Just wait to see what I prepared for him tomorrow. But you better do your job right, too!"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was way past working hours when Miyeon packed her stuff and was ready to leave. She noticed that the light in Joonmyun's office was still on. Thinking that he had left, she opened the door of his office without knocking, wanting to turn the light off, when she noticed that he was still sitting in his chair.

"I am sorry, Mr. Kim, I thought you left, so I wanted to turn off the lights", she said while bowing. "I am leaving. Goodnight."

"Miyeon-sshi", she heard him, his voice barely above a whisper. "Can you stay here just a little bit longer?"

"Sure. You need my help with something?"

He got up from his seat and went to the other end of his office. "I just want to talk."

With careful steps, Miyeon approached him. She looked at him. His eyes were roaming over the city lights. His office had a great view on the entire Gangnam area. She enjoyed looking at his profile. It was manly, attractive. They were quiet for a few moments, enjoying the silence.

"Miyeon-sshi, is everything alright? I've noticed that you've been acting differently recently", he said.

She sighed. "I am just tired, Mr. Kim. I can't wait for the vacation, that is all", she lied, and he knew that she lied. 

"Miyeon-sshi, tell me what is wrong." He didn't look at her. His eyes were still lost in the city lights.

"It's something personal, Mr. Kim", she uttered. He turned his head to look at her. She avoided his eyes, of course. His lips curled into a smile, but not a real one. It was sad. He swallowed.

"I understand. I've been through a lot lately, too", he turned his head back to look at the city. "The only woman I ever loved got married recently." Miyeon looked back at him. "For the past three years, the only thing I did was suffer...because  she left me. I was hurt, really hurt, Miyeon-sshi."The sadness in his voice was killing her. She tried hard to hold her tears in. "Yes. The man who is now standing in front if you, Miyeon-sshi, is not the same man from three years ago." He turned his head back to her and this time, she looked him in the eyes. They were so sad. She never saw it in them, she never noticed how sad was the man she was in love with."You haven't met the real Kim Joonmyun. Because if you did, you wouldn't be just my secretary, you would at least be my friend." 

She couldn't hold her tears any longer. They were falling silently, slipping from her cheek to her dress. Joonmyun took a few steps towards her. "Miyeon-sshi, don't cry. I-I didn't mean to make you cry, I'm sorry." She wiped her tears, giving him a small smile. At that moment, she only wanted to hug him and kiss him, tell him that everything was going to be alright. But she didn't do that, of course. 

"I'm crying because...because I remembered something from my past", she said. "It happened five years ago. I was in search for a job, I needed support, someone to lean on. I had a boyfriend whom I loved like crazy", she paused to wipe her tears away. "He cheated on me. Later I found out that he had been cheating on me throughout the entire relationship." 

Joonmyun looked at her in shock. He wanted to say something, but his lips couldn't move.

"But, I got over it", she smiled, "And I'm sure you will get over it, too, Mr. Kim."

"Joonmyun", he said. "Not Mr. Kim. Call me Joonmyun."