Labing Dalawa: Same or Not?

That one day...

JONGHYUN's POV

I remember when i was young, my mom always teases me about talking to my imaginary friend-- how i would always talk to her since she was a girl, how i described her to my mom as someone so pretty that i even talked about marrying her because i was a prince... Mom always teases me that i played like a girl back then, only i grew up and realized that it was all a child's imagination...

Am i having one now ?

Her eyes, are like golden brown, like its melting and so beautiful under the moonlight, i can feel her warmth in my hand as it holds her cheek, i can smell a fragrance of flowers from her and how my heart is beating so fast that it thumps in my chest.

(Seungyeon ah)

No answer.

"You cant hear my thoughts ?" I asked her.

"Did you just think of something?" She asked, her lips--- i saw her lips move and my throat felt dry. I nodded to her question. "I cant hear--- Jonghyun, im scared." She said and her eyes changed, her brows furrowed and i felt a strange tug at my emotions that somehow i don't like seeing her expression like that.

"Dont be, everything will be fine" i assured her but i-- myself don't even know what is happening.

"How can you be sure ? Im alive! You can touch me and i can feel you! I am supposed to be dea--" 

"Shhhhhhhh" i put my finger in her lips to stop her from talking, from panicking. But as my finger felt how soft her lips are, the dryness of my throat worsen.... I immediately let go of her, and took a step back, slowly so as not to scare or hurt her. As i look at her, she seems so fragile under the moonlight, like a porcelain doll that you are so afraid that it might break. She is --- she is beautiful. I gulped. My heart racing. What is this.

Then suddenly light shone from the night sky, very bright blinding light, i squinted my eyes and saw Seungyeon doing the same looking at the light. I closed my eyes from the blinding light.

"Uriel" i heard Seungyeon's voice say... Uriel? I opened my eyes and as i opened it and my vision started clearing, from the side of Seungyeon it stood. A beautiful creature... An angel. WHAT IS THIS? my knees felt weak and i fell to the ground. Is this supposed to be real or am i supposed to wake up any second now ?

"Hello Seungyeon" it spoke. Then looked at me and smiled, a beautiful smile. It walked closer to me. I looked up looking at his face, he offered a hand-- am i supposed to take it? I took it and he helped me up.

"Are you real?" I asked in a soft voice, he smiled.

"Yes i am Jonghyun ssi" he knows my name. Goosebumps is all over me. What the ---- is happening? Seungyeon walked closer, to him. I looked at her, she looked scared-- but beautiful.

"Uriel--- im human!!! How is this possible ?" She cried to him, he is Uriel. Uriel looked at Seungyeon with an expression saying 'everything will be fine dear' 

"Im afraid i was late at explaining things to you dear Seungyeon." He said and his voice was calming, like how mom talks to Hana when she got a bruise. "I was supposed to come down immediately when you first passed out, but i was stuck. Sorry dear." He said and Seungyeon was looking like she is ready to cry. I walked to her and hold her shoulders, lowering my face so i can look at her in level. She looked at me.

"Are you alright?" I asked and immediately thought i was stupid, of course she isn't alright ! She is obviously scared Lee Jonghyun! I mentally punched myself.

"It seems i have to talk to you both." Uriel said behind me, and i let go of Seungyeon to look at him. I nodded and looked at Seungyeon who also nodded. I realized her height is slightly just above my shoulder and it seems--- perfect. "Lets go somewhere?" My thoughts broke as Uriel asked.

"Theres a park near here, Seungyeon was just supposed to go there." I said and looked at Seungyeon and again, our eyes met and i gulped. Then she looked at her shoulder, i followed her eyes and i saw that my arm were at her shoulder, i unknowingly put a protective arm around her. I removed it. Embarrassed. I cleared my throat.

"Lets go." Uriel said and he walked in front of us, Seungyeon and i followed. As we walked to the park following Uriel, i noticed Seungyeon's dress. It wasnt appropriate at a weather like this and she was obviously cold as she keeps on hugging herself. I took off my coat and gave it to her. She looked at me.

"Just wear it, you might die twice because of cold." I said, trying to be cool that i hoped work, she smiled and i think i was successful, i looked in front and saw Uriel smiling at us and turned around and walked again. My heart is beating fast that it feels like i am running in a marathon that i don't even feel cold. We reached the park and we all sat on the bench. As we all settled, the smiling Uriel a while ago turned to a serious one, he took a look at both of us and took a deep breathe.

"Im gonna explain everything so listen closely." He said. Seungyeon and I looked at him seriously. "Okay, first of all, Jonghyun ssi, i am a guardian... I am an angel watching over people here on earth, i was Seungyeon's guardian. Second, Seungyeon's decision time is coming..." I looked at Seungyeon and we both had a curious expression. Uriel continued. "That, is the signal that Seungyeon's 100 days before elder souls decide Her fate as a soul has started." Uriel said pointing to the bright moon.

"Decide her fate?" I asked.

"A soul isn't meant to be roving the human place forever, a soul has to move on, it has to go to where it is meant to be."

"And where is that?" Seungyeon asked. I held her hand, instinctively-- to make her feel secured that i probably cannot make her feel but its worth the effort. Her hand is soft against my hand.

"Your next life." Uriel said. I froze. Second life, Uriel is talking about Seungyeon going to her second life, disappearing from this time, from this life, from my life. My emotions shifted to something i have never felt before, it was more than being scared, its as if my breathing was slowly being taken away from me-- my heart was beating fast and i was sweating bullets. I looked at Seungyeon and seeing her eyes, i feel afraid that i wont be seeing those eyes again and it was weird, like i was being compelled to look at those eyes which i might not be seeing after a hundred days and it made my heart feel pain with just the thought.

"I dont get it." I said and looked at Uriel, waiting for a more clear explanation.

"Every soul, has a destiny--- has its own direction. When a human dies and becomes a soul, it has time to rove around the earth while they are being mourned. When the mourning for the soul is nearing to an end, the elders give the soul a hundred days to be a human every night, so the soul wont have any regrets before it moves on."

"B--but Mr. Donghyuk--- he-- he has been here for years ! How come, how come he hasn't moved on yet ? And the-- the lost souls, those who you talk to---" Seungyeon asked with a shaky voice.

"Like what he told you, every soul has a purpose and he hasn't found his yet. And as for the lost souls, Mr. Donghyuk is lost, they are the souls who the elder souls think isn't ready to move on-- being lost." Uriel said.

"I-- i dont get it... I dont know my purpose here also! How come my time is coming already?" Seungyeon asked ready to cry at any moment, like she was ready to crumble, like dying-- for the second time.

"Im sorry if this is too much to take and im bad at explaining dear, it has never been my forte." Uriel said and sighed... All of this is unreal to me... But my emotions is making it real to me.

"Can-- can you start all over again?" I asked of Uriel. He sighed.

"Im so sorry. Okay-- Seungyeon is a soul now, her family is almost done at mourning her, when the sun shines later being that its already past midnight now, they'll bury her. That is the moment the 100 days start before decision time. For the 100 days, she gets to be human every night, to do what the soul wants, so as to be free and have no regrets that will be holding back from moving on to the next life. If ! If the elder souls think that the soul is lost or not ready to move on, it'll be a lost soul like Mr. Donghyuk who has been here for 108 years now. Souls aren't supposed to know all of this information because the elder souls want the soul to be as who they really are, but-- but Seungyeon, she is a rare case." I raised an eyebrow at Uriel. This is really a lot to take in. I looked at Seungyeon and she is just--- just weak.

"Im a rare case." She said. 

"Yes dear, like i told you before. Your  situation is not impossible but a rare one"

"What case?" I asked. Uriel looked at me.

"Her passing out, seeing memories." Seungyeon looked up at Uriel with speed.

"Memories? I was seeing memories ?"

"Yes. Your past memories." I was looking back and forth from Uriel to Seungyeon. What the hell are they talking about?

"I am lost again." I said and Seungyeon looked at me.

"There were scenes flashing in my head today, it happened twice. The first was when Seulgi called you at the hallway. Second was when all four of us, Ah In, Seulgi, You, me was at the hallway again. It was old school scenes, and old school music like playing from a radio. When i was seeing those it hurt, and i passed out. That was when Ah In took me to a room and left you." Seungyeon explained.

"You pass out, twice, when we were with Seulgi?" My voice came softer than expected. Why did she pass out when Seulgi was right at the moment? We were looking at each other's eyes. When we hear Uriel clear his throat. We looked at him. He was giving us a book, an old looking book that i didn't notice he was carrying around.

"I wasn't supposed to show you this, but since you are a rare case that we need to help, i got permission so i can explain to you clearly." He said, i opened the book, all there was were drawn boxes and lines connecting, like --- like the cover of matrix, like inside of a program... 

"What is this?" I asked.

"This is Seungyeon." Uriel said, pointing to a box "As i said, souls move on and go to their next life. So that means---"

"A soul moves on and on and on." I said.

"Yes." Uriel said.

"And what i was seeing was my memories from my past life ?" Seungyeon asked and Uriel nodded.

"So? " i asked, i dont get where this is going. Uriel sighed again.

"You see, in every life--- the memories shouldn't return. Its supposed to be wiped out, it is supposed to be a NEW life. The same soul but it should be new, a new start, new gains, new challenges, new life. But in Seungyeon's case, as you can see here." Uriel pointing again at the book "you can see, her fate always ends up the same. From her previous lives up till now."

"Already written." Seungyeon whispered and Uriel nodded.

"Yes, like what i told you, i cant do anything from the day of the accident because it was already written. We tried to change your course, but it always stays the same, your life cant be any different from your previous lives." Uriel said and i can feel his frustration from the tone of his voice.

"What was her life like?" I asked Uriel.

"Her previous lives always end up being in an accident, saving a life. But-- one more thing that doesn't change is you." Uriel said, looking at me. Seungyeon also looked at me then to Uriel.

"Him? Jonghyun? How is he in my life?"

"He was always in your past lives, he is your soul mate. Which is a very very very very rare case. Almost no one gets a soul mate." Soul----mate....

"What?" Seungyeon said and my heart beated crazily then before. I am her soul mate. This is crazy. 

"You have loved him very much in every life you had. And he did too." Uriel smiled at us, i looked at Seungyeon and she was also looking at me. This girl--- is supposed to be my soul mate ? I was suppose to be in love with her? 

"But wait, if --- if i was supposed to be in her life from her past lives, how come i only come into her life after she died ?" I asked. Uriel's smile gone. Replaced by a thinking expression.

"Thats a good question. Maybe--- maybe Seungyeon is finally having a new life. Changing something from her life." 

"Is that supposed to be good? Arent i supposed to be her soul mate?" 

"Well we actually never know, like i said, having a soul mate is closely next to impossible." My heart sank at Uriel's words even though i was very confused as well, but understanding his words-- its like i am finally disappearing from Seungyeon's life. From her destiny.

"Im having a hard time digesting this." Seungyeon said. And it was already past midnight, and i have school tomorrow and Seungyeon looks very tired.

"Well, both of you must be very tired. I'll let you guys rest." Uriel said. He stood up and so did we. I helped Seungyeon and realized she was still human. I looked at Uriel.

"Wait--- how-- how long will she stay human?" I asked

"Until the sun rises." I looked at Seungyeon. How am i supposed to take her home if she is still human? Mom would probably kill me if i brought a home a girl at midnight.

"Oh." Maybe i can sneak her in into Hana's room. Sigh.

"Can you come back to explain more ?" Seungyeon asked Uriel.

"Of course dear." Uriel answered with a smile.

"Thank you." Seungyeon said and Uriel bowed. Suddenly light shone again and Seungyeon and I closed our eyes from the blinding light. The next thing as we opened our eyes, Uriel was gone.

"Lets go home?" I asked, and as i looked at Seungyeon's face as i asked her, why did it feel nice to ask her go home with me? Is it because I'm her soul mate? I saw her blush, she nodded. We walked back to our house.

As we walked back to the house, i cant help but wonder how i was like with her in the past life, Uriel said i loved her very much and she did too. My heart went crazy with the thought, luckily Seungyeon cant hear my thoughts. I looked at her, and she was looking at the pavement as we walked, must be hard for her, must be a lot to take in.

We reached home and before i opened the door, i readied myself, i turned to look at Seungyeon.

"Since you are still a human, we have to sneak you in. " i whispered to her and she smiled. My heart jumped at her smile. Breathe Jonghyun.

"Okay." She whispered. I turned around and she was behind me. I slowly put in the key and turned the knob very very slowly so as not to make a noise. I successfully opened the door without making a noise, we entered the house tiptoeing, everyone is probably asleep. Our rooms are at the second floor and Seungyeon and i tiptoed at the stairs. When we reached Hana's door, i slowly turned her door knob and opened it and let Seungyeon enter.

"Goodnight." She whispered with a smile before closing Hana's door and i my heart jumped again. Before we can fully close Hana's door, my parents door opened and Mom appeared. She looked at me and raised an eyebrow like i was being a thief.

"Jonghyun ah! What are you doing ?" Luckily, Seungyeon was already inside so mom didnt see her, i wouldve been in a big trouble.

"Just checked on Hana." I said. Mom nodded and was about to go downstairs when

"How come i smell flowers ?" I froze, Seungyeon's scent...

"Must be my new perfume." I immediately reasoned. "Im gonna sleep Mom! Night!" Then i immediately entered my room and laid on the bed... Tired, and lost and confused --- and worried?

Why am i worried?

Because theres a ghost that turned human in my sister's room?

Or because i saw an angel?

Or maybe because Seungyeon's 100 day started?

Or because finding about us being soul mates ?

Or because her destiny is changing?

Or maybe--- maybe the possibility--- of me disappearing from her life.