The end of the beginning (part I )

Weddings & CO

She was completely lost in her thoughts during that Monday evening family dinner she had to go through. That was the only thing she could do. Being lost in her thoughts. She never had any interest whatsoever in the economical discussions her family members could get invested in. Or at least pretend to be invested in. It was no secret to anyone that her elder brother Soo-sik was secretly texting his mistress while his wife sitting in front of him was dreaming of her next jewelry item. Her second brother, Seung-hyun on the other hand always angry at the unfairness of being born as the “second” son plotted constantly on how to get more power within the company. As for her mother, the hidden vodka in her water was the key to make her go through it. Not that the female members were asked of any type of participation anyway. Their attention was the only thing needed. They all pretended in their all kind of way. She couldn’t. She would always isolate herself from the world they lived in, the world she knew she would never be a part of. This evening however rather than being lost in the secret garden she had created to free herself from her boredom. She simply had a lot in her mind. The previous weekend had been too much for her fragile mind to handle, especially the dinner with her best friends the previous evening. That was probably the worst. She felt like the shelter it took her so long to build and feel at ease in; was slowly but surely falling apart. And nothing that was about to happen could restrain it from happening but the opposite if she was going to be honest with herself. She heavily sighed at the thought of it. She then raised her eyes only to notice her family looking oddly at her. She has been too loud.

- Are you ok Agassi? Asked her in a fake concerned tone her sister-in-law while her blood related members didn’t dare to.

- Abeoji, she called for her father completely ignoring her sister-in-law. She could hear the latter scoffing.

- Yes? He asked after a moment of hesitation quite surprised at his daughter calling out for him in the middle of the dinner. He wasn’t used to that word. “abeoji”. Especially not from her. She was quite the “silent type”. Never had she took the floor during their Monday dinners.

- I…I…well…there’s something… I…I need to tell you… She spoke as a million different words were running through her head, different variations of sentences that could say it the better way but none did really sound right. She saw her brothers looking at each other, then at her.

- What? Asked sternly her father, as she hadn’t said anything yet. He was already annoyed. If there’s one thing he hated was to lose his time.

- I…how do I say that…I’m meeti-, no I’m seei-…there’s someone…I’m… hmm…a guy actually…with…whom…I-

- I absolutely don’t need to know about that. He cut coldly her words as she raised an eyebrow. Did he already know? - It’s no secret to anyone in this table that you have numerous toy boys you play with. It’s not like you’re going to marry any of them, I’ll decide on that. Meanwhile you can play as much as you want as long as you don’t get caught, no need to mention this subject again, I-

- I did get caught. She said also cutting his words as her brothers widened their eyes. She wasn’t sure what was the most shocking part, the fact that she dared to interrupt him or the content of her sentence. He slowly put his chopstick on the table and position himself in his chair.

- By whom? He asked his eyes closed after a silent that seemed like an eternity.

- Park Dae-Chul. She spoke terribly calm as he widened his eyes. Her two brothers didn’t know where to look anymore as she could feel her sister-in-law discretely smile in satisfaction. He sighed as he rarely does.

No wonder this idiot insisted on having lunch with me this Wednesday despite his heavy political agenda, he’s planning on rubbing it to my face…

- Yes. Probably. That’s why I wanted to let you know in advance. She spoke as her elder brother, Woo-sik looked sternly at her when Sung-Hyun shook his head in despair.

- Oh…oh…I see…I’m sorry I’m a bit confused is this the moment when I’m supposed to be thankful? He asked ironically before he shouted of rage making them all jump on their seats: - I gave you all the freedom I could! More freedom than the sons of this house…my only request was not to humiliate me and yet you manage to fail at this only one rule?! He finished as they were all looking down. Including her. There she found it scary, the fact that she felt absolutely no emotions being reprimanded by her own father. What about you? Don’t you have anything to say about your daughter’s behavior? I mean are you even listening to what’s happening here? It was my fault entrusting you with her education, I should-

- You already made a prisoner out of me; you didn’t think I was going to let you do the same with my one and only daughter. Spoke for the first time her mother adding up to the already unbearable tension.

- What? A…a prisoner? Asked her father in disbelief. - Now I get to hear all sort of shameless accusations…

- Abeonim. Please take care of yourself. Please accept my apology I am also partly responsible for Agassi’s ignorance. I’ll do my best from now on to guide her. Faked her sister-in-law as she and her mother glared at her.

- If you want to do me a favor just take care of your husband whose fooling with plenty of beneath your eyes.

Abeoji! Tried to defend the husband annoyed by his little brother’s smirk.

- SHUT UP! He yelled this time thumping the table as they all jumped on their seats for the second time. Except for her mother.

- God…you almost scared me. She spoke sarcastically as her husband put his hand on his head. – Who is it? She then asked her daughter.

- Is it relevant? Asked the father in an awe.

- Of course, it is if you don’t want to look like a fool in front of that piece of trash. She answered her husband before redirecting to her: - who is it this time? An artist? Idol? An actor?

- Well no…actually no… you don’t have to worry about that he’s chaebol also. She spoke confidently as the three men slowly raised their heads looking at her with rounded eyes. Her mom put slowly her glass back on the table.

- What do you mean he’s chaebol? Spoke her mother frowning and suddenly serious when she didn’t seem to be quite affected earlier. Now she felt confused by the reaction of the latter. Wasn’t that supposed to be a good thing?

- Who the hell is it? Asked her dad dramatically now after wasting the few drops of patience he had.

- It…it’s the son of Coex group. She said as they all muted in silent. She waited for one of them to react but none of them did. They all looked pale. As they’ve seen a ghost. It frightened her.

- Are you…asked her father who took the time to breath in: - are you telling me that Park Dae-Chul caught you with his newly appointed son-in-law? Asked her dad extremely disturbed and trying so hard to keep himself together. She got confused.

- God Subin-ah what did you do? Wasn’t he your friend’s high-school boyfriend, and from what I saw at his wedding he still hadn’t got over her. Asked her mother.

- Wait wait wait…OH MY GOD…Omma… you can’t be serious…Abeoji?! She asked this time looking at her father: - I’m not talking about Mino…god…NO…how could you even imagine that…

- Then who is it for God’s sake?! Asked her father now officially completely out of patience.

- Does Coex group has only one son? I’m talking about the eldest! Woo- she cleared . – Chang Wook Oppa is the person I’m seeing. She spoke as they all more or less dropped their jaw on a different scale. Her sister in law almost spit her food.

- So…her dad tried to start after a long silence before attempting a second time: - you…you’re having something with the heir…How…he tried to start again before clearing his throat.How long have you been seeing him? He asked as she started to feel uncomfortable. This wasn’t going the way she wanted it to. She just wanted to let him know. Not to answer his inquisitions.

- Well… it’s sort of complicated I don’t really want to ta-

- Answer my question. He interrupted emphasizing each word independently from one to another showing how much he was serious.

- It…it started in Italy last summer, we broke up before we came back but…we’re kind of back since Sunny’s wedding. She talked  with as much confidence as she could; feeling literally . Silence. There was an awkward and heavy silence contrasting with the zillions of interrogations she knew where running in their mind. Something was wrong. She could feel it. The tension, the heaviness, seriousness. It felt odd. It felt like a type of danger she hadn’t expected. She knew it was not going to be easy but something just felt terribly off.

- Tell him to meet me tomorrow at my office at 12:30 he spoke after the longest silence standing up from the table indicating the dinner was finished as she found the strength to stand. Yes. That was exactly what did fell off.

- Wait… what? WHAT Why? ABEOJI! She called out as he stopped on his track before slowly turning around.

- What again? Is there another shocking announcement you have in stock?

- Please don’t tell me you’re pregnant. Spoke her mother from the other spot of the table her hand holding her forehead as they all looked towards her with wide eyes then to the interested.

- Mom ! no…no…god…no, of course not.

- Good. Last thing I want is you repeating my mistakes. She answered, as her children’s eyeballs were about to stick out while her husband stared meaningfully at her.

Abeoji…she said as they broke off their stare.You don’t have to meet him he’s very busy any-

- Oh he’s busy? I am Hyundai’s CEO yet I am making time to meet him, is he busier than me? Now I’m curious he must be very devoted towards his work shall I try his father? I’m sure his father will be happy to meet me-

- NO…no…please not his father…Abeoji…it’s not that serious-

- I WILL DECIDE ON THAT! He shouted out of the blue as she got startled. He was very good at that. Always startling them with his sudden bursts of anger. Since her and her brothers remembered he was there, in front of them. Silent. Distant. But still there. However, they never managed to learn how to anticipate his bursts. -Are you letting him know or shall I get my secretary to do it? It’s up to you…

- I…I’ll…let him…know…she answered with a defeated voice.

Good. I’m going to be in my office for now. I would appreciate to not be disturbed for the remaining evening. He spoke before leaving calmly as nothing happened. They all kept frozen on their spots. Until she couldn’t bear it anymore.

- Mom, you must talk to him, he can’t-

- Subin-ah Subin-ah Subin-ah…spoke her mother elegantly standing from her chair and her glass still in hand. She walked towards her. – Honey, why do you think I’ve always told you to not play with chaebol?

- Because they’re not fun? She answered annoyed at the demeanor of the conversation as she hadn’t in mind to play “guess what” when asking for help.

- Well that’s a good reason too but I wasn’t referring to that specifically. Playing with actors, idols, and sports celebrities make you always the strongest opponent. They would never be able to trap you. But when it comes to chaebol, especially the heirs, you don’t play with them you only loose to them. She stated with a lot of fatality. -Do you like him? She then asked her out of the blue. She couldn’t answer that. She felt like her brain being paralyzed. - I was wrong about you. She then added after her silent answer. -You did end up making the same mistake as I did. She explained  calm and distanced before going towards her room.

- I think I’ll also excuse myselfspoke still very disturbed her sister in law leaving her with her two brothers.

- I…I don’t get it…what…what did she mean I made the same mistake…

- She meant that you are going official. Spoke her second brother also leaving.

- God Subin-ah…I really wish you were a boy…you and I would’ve had a lot of fun…said Woo-sik who was the only left in that huge room. – Isn’t he too old for you? He’s my age, right?

- 1 year older. What did he mean by official? She found the strength to ask. She needed to hear it out loud. He laughed loudly. 

- Because you still didn’t get it? He meant marriage… M-A-R-R-I-A-G-E.