Hello es

Weddings & CO

Nothing. After a long night of investigating through medical, financial reports, assets, real estate, high executives profiles, investors profiles, corporate profiles, a whole early morning spent in our headquarters with a Hana who looked as serious as James Bond in the last ten minutes of his movies.

Yet, still...Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 

That meant only one thing, whatever the reason was behind that supposedly deal we were trying to unveil, it was clearly on a personal level. Not on a professional one, making this whole situation even more complicated than I ever thought. My grandmother was asked to fix others scandals and she was good at it. She’s been doing it for years, and even created a secret organization based on that skill. Just how on earth was I going to find the one she was hiding and trying to cover up by selling me to the Juns?  

I sighed.

Hey…are you ok? I looked up to the voice owner only to see my favourite ray of sun looking at me with concerned eyes, warming my heart right away.

- I am fine…I said throwing myself at her and hugging her. - I missed you… I said to what she didn’t ask or add anything besides holding me tight.

- Are you cheating on me? Whined Sue destroying our hug and putting her body between us and handing us a champagne flute she had poured for us. I thought for a second before taking it but ended up accepting it.  I was going to need it.

- Hon’…what’s taking you so long? For God’s sake…begged Sue. I mean what are you- she stopped on her track as she finally came out from her dressing room as we all decided to get ready at her place. She was breath taking.

- Oh my god…she’s seriously gonna die…said Sunny followed by Sue:

- Serves her right, …

- Ok I don’t think I want to do this…

- Whaaaaaaaaaat? Screamed both Sue and Sunny at the same time. I looked at Hana and she seemed to be confused while looking at her reflection on the wall mirror.

- What do you mean? Is it because of Minho? I hesitantly asked. She frowned.

- No…why would it be because of him? It’s not my fault if he’s marrying a …she insulted my father, she deserves even worse than her wedding being ruined…she confidently stated and I felt somehow that it sounded wrong but brushed it away.

- Hell yeah! That’s the spirit…that’s what I want to hear… shouted Sue standing up soon followed by Sunny.

- Then what is it? Asked the later.

- It’s just that…you do realize that we’re going to be labelled as the official four es of the city for at least the next 10 years? She said before we all burst into a big laugh. – I mean I am fine with that but are you? She said looking at us.

- I’m married. I don’t care…

- I’ve been a my whole life…

- What about you Gongju? Asked me Hana with a hint of hesitation and excitation as they all stared at me.

- I say its time for us to create History…Let me rephrase that, es History I said raising my glass.

- To the es History…they added all together.  Indeed. That toast stayed true to itself. The es history was born on that day, and that History somehow never ended ever since.

 

As we made our way to the wedding venue that was hosted of course in one of the numerous Coex group reception halls, it’s quite safe to say that four of us were slightly…slightly merry. Sue who didn’t take the task “being showy” kiddingly, made sure to book a black Rolls Royce Phantom limousine and let me tell you that the last time I saw something similar was in Vegas, three years ago. No need to say that after that trip the infamous say “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” was more than verified. As we got down one by one after “the very handsome driver” opened the door I got curious as I saw both Sue then Sunny burst into a big laughter having their eyes on something I was now dying to see. I soon followed at the hilarious scene that took place in front of me.

- What wrong with you guys what’s so fun- She tried to ask as she was the last one getting down from the car only to burst into a big fat laugh too: - oh my god this is ridiculous…I can’t she then added trying to stop her laugh.

- I need to snapchat this… stated Sunny looking for her phone. ‘This’ being the newly wed couple’s limousine that looked quite…simple compared to the choice of Sue. It was a Mercedes-Benz S-600 Pullman who was a very classic and safe choice, the complete opposite of the car we rode. The vision of both cars being parked on the same venue was simply to die of laugh especially after the few champagne glasses we had.

It was like these two cars being parked on the same lane perfectly summed up what this evening was going to be about.

- Wait a second baby where are you going? Asked Sue towards the driver that was done with his task.

- Huuuh Sorry Miss I thought I was done after dropping you is there anything I can add? He asked frozen in his spot. – Yes baby, we’re gonna borrow your face…LET’S TAKE A SELFIE!

- Yeaaaaaaaaaaah screamed Sunny as Hana and I were already running away but soon dragged back by our two friends leading to a general racket as our clothes and limo wasn’t enough to be noticed.

- Get of me Sue…this is ing lame

- Hana, last time I checked you were already lame, so get your damn lame here…

- This is so tacky I am not- I tried to say before being stopped by Sunny.

- Did you just call me lame? Did she just call me lame?

- Shut up Gongju…ordered me Sunny and while debating acting childish and being louder than we should it only took the driver to say “hana, deul, set” for us to shout “Kimchi” before bursting into a general laugh. As he kept on taking several pics of us on the top of the initial selfies with him that Sue asked for.

Is there any thing else Subin ssi?

- Oh darling I love it when you call my name…said now the very flirty Sue who was probably having all kind of fantasies going on. – Yes there actually is… And I could see now the driver having similar thoughts going on and urging his inner self to shut them down. She dangerously approached him and switch at the last second to the door of the car that she opened before launching her upper body inside clearly looking for something and offering a wonderful view of her legs and even a bit of her . Sue was a very generous girl.

- Sue, bring your ty , are we going to spend the night here?

- Shut up nerdy…she said bringing back the bottle of champagne we started in the limo.

- You’ve got to be kidding me… I heard Hon’ say while I wasn’t thinking less.

- It’s illegal to not finish a vintage Louis Roeder Cristal…she said bringing the precious bottle she had stolen from her grandfather collection. He was kind of nice, until someone touched his collection. I don’t think she even realized what she would get herself into if by any bad luck he would happen to find out about it. Ok, she actually knew, she just simply didn’t care.

- Now we don’t want to go to prison do we? Asked Sunny not even minding giving us time to answer grabbing the bottle to what I rolled my eyes.

- Illegal? Prison? Which paragraph of the constitution are you referring to? We might not be talking about the same docu- started Hana without being able to finish as Sunny shut her down by putting the bottle in .

- Guys guys guys seriously be careful with the dresses…it’s ELIE SAAB…

- Can I go now? I heard the driver almost begging as all of them seemed to have forgotten about him giving me Sue’s phone he had from the picture moment.

- Yes…yes you can…I told him smiling apologetically and checking the pictures he just took. Damn…

- What? Asked Sue.

- We look hot…too hot…

- And is that a bad thing? She asked taking back her phone slightly annoyed by my gravity.

-  Oh my god…she’s having second thoughts…shouted Sunny.

- No I am not… I defended.

- Yes you are…accused this time Sue.

- I AM NOT…

- Are you? Asked this time Hana and I could see a glimpse of guilt lingering in her voice and I felt instantly stupid.

-  Ok maybe a little little little second thought…  I admitted, and they all sighed at me.

-  God you can be so ing boring sometimes…complained Sue.

- No … I am boring all the time, what’s new with that?

- Not all the time…smirked Sunny after giving a meaning look at the champagne bottle then at me.

- no… no…NOI already had two glasses that’s already too much for me, I won’t be able to behave… you know that…

- Exactly…we’re not here to behave baby…Said Sue grabbing me soon helped by Hon’ as Sue poured what was left of the bottle in my mouth. And let me tell you that I gulped everything too scared to stain my dress.

- So, are we doing this or what? Asked me Sue with her challenging voice. I looked at three of them being more beautiful than they usually are and thanked once again Elie Saab the designer I decided to go by for all of us as he became the only name to pop in your head when it comes to wedding dresses all around the world…except in South Korea… That is something that I couldn’t get until recently when I was told that I was the queen of “Minpea Hagek” a popular expression to describe the bad behaviour of a guest in a wedding. “Minpea” would be the bad behaviour and “hagek” is what qualify a wedding guest. Now when you add “fashion” to it the expression doesn’t mean someone talking or laughing to loud, coming only for the dinner without a gift or someone smoking to close to you while waiting outside…no it would specifically refer to girls not respecting the dressing code which basically in south korea doesn’t really exist as the only thing girls seemed to be asked is to play it low. Very, very Low. Yes I have done a lot of researches on the subject and finally understood why most of the girls were quite strictly dressed during weddings, something during the past I blamed on a sort of lack of confidence or simply terrible taste not knowing at that time that I was the one doing the faux pas.  Today four of us were doing the faux pas again; the only difference is that for the first time I was completely conscious and aware of it. The ready to wear SS14 collection from where all the dresses were from was an ode to a dreamed spring garden where most beautiful and sensual colours were celebrated. “The lace garden” called himself the designer as he once again played with his all time favourite fabric. Vivid green for Sunny, that wore the sleeveless mini dress, while I went by the sleeved mini rosy salmon jumpsuit and Sue by the red flared version. As for Hana, that was meant to be the highlight of the day, she wore the white printed dress that resumed the whole garden spirit with the colourful flowers patterns in the top and bottom of the dress with her waist highlighted by a thin belt detail that all of us had. Each piece had its own meaning and suited perfectly each personality. Yes, today was going to be another faux pas, but probably the most beautiful one we’ve ever committed.

 

 

“Underestimation” that’s what could perfectly describe the impact we made as we entered the battlefield. As if there was even one, it could’ve been one if we had valuable opponents to fight with, that was a battle won already during Sunny’s wedding, attending Mino’s was just destroying once for all the enemy. I understood instantly the bad feeling I had earlier as anger, stupefaction, shock was to be read in all faces. We had gone too far I knew it. All eyes were on us; none of them were wearing a pleasant look. Except for the entire men community leading the opposite to be even more enraged than they should.

- Oppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…screamed both Sue and Sunny as they caught a glimpse of Mino newly married and giving into the traditional formality of receiving congratulations of thousands of people he was probably too tired to recognize.  Clearly he didn’t have any difficulty recognising us from the way he widened his eyes when he looked to the unapologetic piercing voices of the latters who literally threw themselves at him. Funny thing is that we never called him Oppa. He was older but we never gave into the formality for the whole group despite their endless complains on the matter. It just didn’t feel right, because they’re the only boys with whom we didn’t see any form of hierarchy. Age, gender, social rank didn’t mean anything when it came to Mino, Jonghyun, Tae and Soohyuk. The later was the only one I would call ‘Oppa’ from time to time probably because of the special relationship we had and because he would always get me out of trouble. That’s probably why they’ve always been special, why they’ll always be. He looked happy, genuinely happy and quite amused by the situation as I believe he got the teasing and what the whole behaviour was about; until he laid his eyes on her as she finally appeared in front of him. His smile slowly faded away. That was painful to see, that thing that was filling his eyes: Love. No let me rephrase that, broken love.

- Hi… he said almost into a whisper looking at her. He couldn’t take his eyes of her, I don’t know what was exactly going through his head and I surely didn’t want to. I had to do something.

- Congratulations!!! I said in the most fake happy tone I could gather and opening my arms so that I could hug him. I could feel him still staring at her while hugging me.

- Hana you look G.E.O.R.G.E.O.U.S screamed Jonghyun clearly aware of our play soon followed by Tae and-

- What are you doing here? He whispered in my hear with his all time deep voice sending shivers to my body probably because I was slightly drunk and because I wasn’t used to that hint of anger while he addresses me. I frowned at him.

- What do you mean? I’m enjoying my friend’s wedding just as you are…I innocently replied to what he smirked looking to his feet before piercing me with his eyes.

- Don’t do that…

- What?

- Act cute, it won’t work. I’m mad. He said before looking back at the rest of our friends as nothing happened leaving me dumbfounded on my spot. He was mad. At me. I didn’t like that. In fact I hated it. Now I was angry. The worst part is that I wasn’t angry because I cared too much about him and was worried that he would resent me, no I was angry because my pride was hurt. And that’s all I did care about.

- Of course she is gorgeous, she’s always been…I spoke loud this time directing my attention to Jong’s before adding: - don’t you think Shinni? I felt suddenly all of them froze in their spot at my daring move while Soohyuk glared at me. As Sue and Sunny seemed both to enjoy the sight.

- She…She looks amazing… she managed to mumble. - All of you do. She then cleared . - Mino and I are really happy to have you, I…I didn’t think that-

- We could make it? Cut her Sue this time. Oh c’mon Shinni, you know how important it is for us to show you how really happy we are for you and Mino…she added emphasizing “happy”. I smirked.

- We wouldn’t have miss it in the world Shinni, I remember you saying all the time in New-york that we were your only friends…it was natural for us to come in your big day…said this time Sunny.

She looked pathetic in that plain shapeless white dress trying so hard to look like an angel when we all knew the devilish soul she was hiding. It made me sick. Another thing she failed to hide was her shivering hand that she was clenching so hard that she probably dug her nails into her own skin without even realizing it. She couldn’t take her eyes of Hana that was standing brightly and confidently while Tae and Jong kept her busy with small chat, as Sunny, Sue and myself were finishing off the business. Mino and Soohyuk soon joined them, leaving us alone with the prey.

- I wont, I won’t loose it…she whispered looking at us shivering.

- Darling you already did… said Sunny genuinely calm. Sunny was always bright and smiling even when ing which was kind of frightening and disturbing.

- Don’t get it wrong, we didn’t come here as your enemy Shinni, but quite the opposite. We forgive you. Added Sue.

- Forgive me? She managed to scoff.

- Yes we do. I spoke this time. We forgive you for pretending to like us all these years while you secretly hated us, resented us and still smiled at us everyday hypocritically because of your interest. We forgive you for all the times you took advantage of our social rank and money. We forgive you for luring our best’s friend’s first love, and most important we forgive you for insulting that same friend and her most important person on earth; her father. And believe me forgiving you for that last thing was really, really, difficult…

- But we did…and you know why Shinni? Followed Sue. Because the truth is no matter how hard you try you don’t measure up to us. Never did. Never will. I hope today was the last time we had to remind you where you stand. We won’t want to do it again.

- You…you won’t have to, I think I got it. She mumbled as her completion looked livid.

- Great, we should take a picture together…you know to keep this as a beautiful and meaningful memory…said this time Sunny and I laughed internally. Sue immediately indicated the photographer to come and we paused with her, useless is to say that she looked quite transparent that I almost felt sorry. Almost.

- We need one with Hon’ added Sunny leading us to look up for the latter that was surrounded by our four male friends as they seemed to be conversing light things. – Oh no actually, you should take them. Hana and her flower boys.

- Can I take a picture of you? Interrupted them the photographer, Hana instantly looked for us and I could see Soohyuk glare at me again but I ignored it.

- Yes of course…answered Mino that switched positions with Tae so that he could be standing at her right. He indicated her his arm so she could hold it and she did the same with Jong so that it won’t look awkward. She looked amazing surrounded by them.  I had this weird feeling coming up again but brushed it right away. Soohyuk left the first after few clichés coming towards me soon followed by the rest of the group indicating to the photographer that the picture session was finished when Mino called a last time for him:

- A last one please…with this lady here he said grabbing Hana by her hand as she was also walking towards us. Silence. I felt like silence filled actually the whole reception and hall and its few hundreds guests. She didn’t budge and stood there with her hand lingering in the air from where he was holding her, as there was an invisible border between them.

- I don’t think- she tried to start.

- C’mon he cut her dragging her to stand next to him and quickly whispered something to her ear as she frowned at him before smiling towards the photographer. That was a fake smile. Ok, now I had a really bad feeling and I couldn’t brush it away this time. There they were. Looking actually like the real bride and groom and the entire audience couldn’t think different. They looked beautiful. Too beautiful.

- Situation slightly out of control here…whispered Sue in my left ear. 

- I need to talk to you now. Ordered Soohyuk to my right ear almost instantly as Sue.

- You and Sunny take her right after the picture, it’s dinnertime anyway, we’re done…I barely had the time to tell her as Soohyuk was already dragging me away.

What the hell is wrong with you? I asked once he released my hand as he took me out of the reception hall where some staff was rushing for the dinner stealing weird glances at us. He took his hand to his forehead for a few seconds before taking back his composure.

- No Gongju, what the hell is wrong with YOU?! He said pointing at me. He took another breath and started a lot calmer. -  Don’t…don’t do that…don’t act like that, that’s not you…

- That’s not me? What is “me” exactly…I asked crossing my arms.

- “You” is not talking, behaving or for a fact dressing like a … he said in a burst of anger soon regretting his words that had the impact of bombshell in my head. Yet, I stood there impassive.

- Sorry last thing I want is-

- Well maybe you don’t know me? I provoked cutting his apology as his eyes fired up again. He scoffed.

- Seriously? He looked at me in awe. - Not with me Gongju, don’t let your pride get between us, don’t treat me like a stranger it’s upsetting. He said grave, with that monotone voice obviously trying to hide his hurt. I hurt him. I couldn’t process it. I stood silent.

- She hurt my friend. I finally stated.

- I know. But it doesn’t mean that you have to hurt mine. He calmly said before storming out giving me that contempt look that made me want to throw up. – You gave her that dirty look again and I swear I’ll snatch your eyes…he threatened some waiters I haven’t even noticed behind my back before slamming the door. This time he was really mad at me, this time I really hated it. This time my pride didn’t have anything to do with it.