David vs Goliath

Weddings & CO

- What the hell are you wearing? Are you serious? I gave her my “are you kidding me look” so that she could remember that it wasn’t really   my choice thus she added: - God she’s not joking around…

- You scared the hell out of me…

Well I needed to get you out from that messed up whatever dinner…I mean…what the hell was the old monkey doing there?

- By the old monkey are you by any chance referring to my grandfather? I looked at the other side of the room only to see him comfortably sitting in my grandfather’s chair while his friend politely sat on the other side of the desk, the side where normal and educated people would know it’s appropriate to sit. Obviously he wasn’t one of them.

- You shouldn’t call his grandfather an old monkey Hana-ya; spoke the latter that hadn’t said anything since the beginning. Now that I think of it, we’ve been cursing for the past minute In front of him. I froze. - Old dog is how we usually call him…ok forget what I said. Something must be wrong with both their education.

- Whatever… my point is… she tried to start.

- I need to sit…I cut her words.

- What’s wrong with you, you look weird, Are you drunk? Is she drunk? She asked now looking at him.

- She can barely stand; I had to stop of her from her 6th glass of wine…

- I’m not drunk…

- Oh she’s not drunk…I mean she is but she’s wine drunk…then she’s not really drunk…she stated as it was the clearest statement she’s ever made not even realizing how confusing she was.

- Is that supposed to make any sense because I’m lost…he asked curious now and I tried to realize how extremely unbelievable this whole situation was.

- Oh well let’s say her behavior is slightly different when she’s really drunk, like mojito drunk, martini or tequila shot drunk, she starts to strip-

- Shut up Hana! Is this woman crazy? Since when do we mention embarrassing drink habits in front of elders, might they be jerks, an elder is still an elder. -  You… get your off my grand’s chair…I need to sit I ordered as I made my way to him. Ok, sometimes it’s forgiven to skip the elder thing. I guess tonight was one of these nights. 

- Ok kitty no need to be rude…it’s just a question of time before this chair becomes mine officially anyway…he said slowly standing sitting on the desk corner so he could face me and his friend and Hana who sat in the chair facing her boss.

- That…that is not gonna happen…and for god’s sake stop calling me like that… I said between heavy breaths.

- And that’s why we’re meeting here…we have to get a plan… spoke dramatically my friend.

- We? Irked her boss. I am sorry but I personally do not see how am I related to this whole thing, I was called to pick up my friend from what appeared to be an uncomfortable situation, I’m used to that…I’m fine with that…but that’s it…I’m done here… I surely don’t want to interfere with a deal that seems to be more than crucial given to the fact that the board of Ajumma is willing to skip 4 rallyes just to put these two together… he stated and I looked at him in awe. First of all, he’s got a damn point. Second, how…how does he…?

- The what? What the are you talking about and what kind of ing selfish friend you are?

- I don’t know, a friend who actually wants to protect the credit he worked hard for the past 10years despite the old veterans haters that had nothing to do besides taking a hobby called “putting Choi Jin Hyuk down” after they retired? Oh yeah you don’t know that don’t you…lucky enough for you the blood of their ruler is actually running through your veins…he stated in his all time monotone voice and I felt sorry. For Ji.

- Lucky? Did you say lucky? I can’t believe you said that…well I’m sorry I wasn’t stupid enough to think that these old dogs would actually like me if I tried harder, and harder, and harder wasting my young years thinking that I have the responsibility to run a system when I’m nothing but a puppet owned by that same system… He retorted clearly mad at his friend even though he was trying to keep his cool. Hana and I exchanged a look. I couldn’t believe I had exactly the same argument with Sue exactly two years ago. He scoffed.

- Is that your way to convince me to help you?

- you man I don’t need your help… did I ask you for your help? Anyone here did I ask him to help me to get away from that ed up marriage plan?

- Oppa…please Don’t…don’t do that…not the “m” word please…I dared to beg.

- Well then I guess I’m done. He said standing and buttoning his blazer.  - Hana-ya, get your stuff we’re leaving…I looked at him in awe for the second time. “We”, she’s MY friend, and that's MY house. He doesn’t tell her to leave or to stay. God what is wrong with these machos men and their narrow minds…

- I am not leaving, she replied on the same tone he used.  That’s my girl. He can leave, we don’t need-  And neither you areshe added to my surprise talking to him.

- Why? I asked soon regretting my burst. , did I say that out loud…she gave me a deadly look.

- Because if we want to fix this situation we need him ok, each of us here has a card to play and we need it…c’mon Oppa…you had no idea of the board until one hour ago…I am the one who told you about it…I’ll tell you how to deal with it…

- Wait a second…you told him about the board? Yah Hana-yah…ARE YOU MAD?

- I’m sorry but I thought he knew about it… I got carried away… as we were talking about-

- What kind of excuse is that…How would he know about it, men don’t know about it, they’re not suppose to… thank god you’re not a part of it they would kill you if they’d figure you told a man who happens to be the son of one of the most important member of it…

- Ok now I’m freaking out, how important is my mother in that board? That’s the second time I’m hearing this in less than two hours…

- Yes you’re right. I’m glad my mom was found in bed with another man and got expelled forever from the board and any socialite hypocrite system that this freaking city has…she answered my comment ignoring what her boss just asked. I stood there dumbfounded at what she said locking eyes with her not believing what I’ve just heard. I felt both men exchanging the same look we had while they were arguing but it seemed like theirs were more dramatic. Jin-Hyuk slowly sat back on his chair opening back his blazer and looked at his friend. I could feel them mentally speaking but couldn’t focus on it as I was doing the same with her. What the hell was that?

Silence

- I don’t think there’s anything more or less close to luck when it comes to your grandfather. I didn’t mean that… spoke Jin-hyuk to his friend, as it was the most random thing to do.

- Thank you, I didn’t mean it either when I said you were a puppet… answered the latter.

Silence. Again.  Both of us did not reacted to that ridiculous scene.

You… I took a breath. You do realize that’s not what I meant do you?

- I know, I’m sorry, I was rude…

- I would never say or even think som-

- I know …forget about it

- The only thing I meant was-

- I get it Gongju just forget it ok… forget it …it doesn’t matter because the plan…the plan is to destroy that board anyway… I don’t see any other way…

- WHAT?

- You heard me; we have to take over this board, all of us…

- All of us? Who is “all of us”? Hope you’re not counting me in…

- Yes I am in fact Oppa, you’ll benefit from it too trust me…

- You can’t take down the board Hana-ya, you’d rather work on Korea’s reunification you’ll have more chance with that…I stated. Has she lost her mind?

- Can someone tell me what the hell is that board you guys have been talking about?

- No…no…you can’t know about it, it’s too dang-

- Basically our mothers are part of this scary secret organization where they actually plan their husbands and sons lives from the choice of their morning ties to who’s gonna be in their will by using their daughters who happens to be a part of the same organization…

- Hana how much did you tell him??

- I swear I didn’t use these words; it’s not my fault if he’s a smartass…she looked at me with rounded eyes.

- I’m a Stanford graduate…in case you didn’t know…

- Oh shut up man, who gives a seriously, this guy won’t miss a single opportunity to brag, it’s killing me… he said out of frustration looking at me and I couldn’t help but break a little smile as it reminded me of a particular friend.

- He’s just jealous. He added looking at that exact friend. And I frowned out of hilarity.

- Yeah I get it don’t worry; some people are just uncomfortable around other’s intelligence you know…she replied feeling really concerned. I was the one who looked at him now seeking for solidarity as he had the same ‘unbelievable’ frown.

- Yes exactly, well you must know how it feels too…

- I do… she added and I rolled my eyes out frustration. God, they’re the same.

- Ehem, sorry to interrupt that nerdy “I’m too intelligent nobody can get me” for a moment, but just so you know, I think we’re slightly, slightly drifting from the important matter here. The board…

- Forget the board Oppa, and forget you’ve ever heard about it, I’m begging you…

- But why? Are you even serious?

- Because Hana-ya it’s too dangerous, you just have no idea…

- Is it dangerous or are you trying to protect your grandmother, as she’s the one who founded it. 

- Oh lord, why am I not surprised…of course she did…I heard Ji speaking for himself. I am not even commenting on that.

- Hello girl, the fact that SHE founded it is the main reason why this is dangerous…

- And the fact that you’re her granddaughter makes you the right person to take this down…

- Are you part of the board also? Asked me Jin-hyuk.

- No she’s not, only married women are… answered Hana.

- Oh well that’s only a question of months before you get your seat then teased this time Ji.

- No it’s not gonna happen any soon; you have to be married and have a child. Being a mother is the primer condition to be part of the board, and Oppa please I thought we were a team here, could you stop with the teasing?

- I’ll try but I can’t promise anything.

- Well thank you…

- Why is that? Asked me Jin Hyuk.

- Why is what?

- Why being a mother is the primer condition? Damn, he’s so curious.  

- Because…they do not believe in a woman’s commitment but a mother’s commitment. The aim of the organization is to guarantee your children’s protection. Thus only mothers would be completely devoted to the board, by devoted I mean willing to scheme, complot and shamelessly manipulate their men, whatever it takes to protect their children, these women have no scruples…they’re willing to do the worst in the name of their motherhood…  this is why you can’t do anything about them…

- It does actually make sense… stated Jin-hyuk.

- The Sogeting situation I had…was it- he tried to ask.

- Yes, the board fixed it. I answered instantly his question.

-  All of them? he asked again. 

- No, they don’t work like that. Few of them are assigned on “missions”, it’s only during major crisis that they’re all working together. On that Sogeting thing there was only your mother, my grandmother and Jin-Hyuk Oppa’s mother. She, she’s brilliant when it comes to fixing… I added the last sentence to him.

- It must be running in the family I suppose. He said and I tried to restrain a laugh. I could see however despite how much he tried to keep his composure that he was deeply disturbed. This is why men should never know about the board. Wait a second, he said after realizing something and I shivered fearing which question he would have to ask again. – You told her about the Sogeting scandal? He asked his friend with a slightly amused frown that I couldn’t really translate. The latter looked at him in silence for a few seconds before answering:

- Yes I did. We’re not commenting on that. He ordered.

- What’s the Sogeting scandal? Asked Hana.

- Nothing. Both men answered in the same time. She looked at me. And before I could give her my “I’ll tell you later look” I was interrupted:

- And you’re not telling her later…I stood there dumbfounded. , how does he do that?

- Does this Sogeting scandal has anything to do with our plan of destroying the board or breaking this union? She asked.

- No, not really I guess…answered her boss.

- Then I don’t care. Let’s go back to the board.

- Guys forget the board…

- We can destroy it Gongju. You said it yourself. These women’s weakness is their children, we have to prove that this union will be inconvenient to their children and there is nothing easier than that. Especially that the real loser here happens to be Oppa’s mother…she said pointing at her boss.

- Why would my mother be the real loser in this deal?

- Wasn’t your sister engaged to him? That was a sealed deal since I’ve remembered, it falls perfectly and-

- That engagement is no longer Hana; they had to break it 2 years ago. I cut her argument.

- You told her about my sister too?

- No I-

- I asked about it and he simply told me that the engagement was off, I have no details…I defended.

- Well I want the details…spoke Hana.

- It’s personal replied Ji-hoon not letting his friend place a word on it. I got it now. He was protecting him. He was protecting her. This kind of engagement isn’t “breakable” by any of the parties anyway; one of the latter has to fail it. I didn’t think one second that Minji eonni would be the one to screw it up, obviously Ji would. But I guess I was wrong.

- I don’t care if it’s personal or not, why isn’t this marriage happening, what’s the reason?

- Hana, that’s not our business…I tried to stop her.

- Yes it is… it is our business…if he marries Minji then you’re fine…I don’t care what happens between you guys but you have to marry her…she said half ordering half begging. She started to loose it.

- I am not marrying Minji…stated Ji hoon with a hint of disbelief in front of my friend’s audacity.

- Why not? She insisted.

- Because…- he half started with the same disbelief towards her stubbornness but couldn’t finish as his friend interrupted him.

- …Because she’s already married… he solemnly stated. We all looked at him in awe. - He can’t marry a married woman can he?

- Yah …what the hell man…

- It’s ok I trust her. He told his friend and I saw the guilty look Hana was having now. She forced him to confess what appeared to be a secret. - And I guess I can trust her too if you told her about one of the most painful you went through…he said this time looking at me. I felt weird. Was this the reason why he gave him that funny look earlier, because Ji trusted me. I wasn’t sure how was I suppose to take it.

- Oppa, I’m sorry, I- failed to start Hana.

- She married her all time boyfriend 2 years ago when my parents and Ji’s wanted them to announce their engagement. Until then it wasn’t really official so she didn’t have the chance to oppose the union, when she realized how serious it was she went behind their back and married her college boyfriend. She renounced to her inheritance, to her shares to everything…The Ju’s were kind enough to keep it as a secret. Nobody really knows about it… Once again silence was the only answer Hana and I had to offer.

- You didn’t have to give them the details.

- I wanted to. He instantly replied, as it was obvious. I didn’t dare to say anything, I just let my mind wander on how much I admired Minji eonni, even more than I used to. The boyfriend in question was a self made man, he came from a modest background. I knew him because my grandfather once worked with him, we thought they were good friends. Close friends. Nobody thought one second they would be more than that, nobody thought they were actually together and hiding it behind that friendship/workmate relationship. This woman was surely one of a kind.

- . I heard Hana finally whisper for herself making us all look at her. , , , AND ! She finally exploded standing from her seat. Now she lost it.

- Calm down Hana, it’s fine…

- No no no it is not fine, my only hope was for Jin Hyuk Oppa’s mother to oppose the union due to her important position in the board but that’s not gonna happen since she actually own the board’s trinity a favor, they protected her secret, they protected her daughter, so: NO, IT IS NOT FINE…I…I can’t fix this…I can’t fix this Gongju, I’m torturing my brain but there’s nothing that I can come up with…she said pacing around and I stood to go to her.

- Hon’, first of all you’re not fixing this, I am… I told her putting my arms on her shoulders so that she would stop moving all around the room …this is my problem you don’t have to torture yourself for-

- Cut the crap Gongju, she said removing my arms and freeing herself.  I know you. You won’t fix it you’ll cope with it. That’s what you always do. That’s what you’ve always done… I stood there looking at her.

- What is that suppose to mean?

- I am not supposing anything I’m just stating a fact here, and the fact is all my life I’ve been watching you do everything as she wanted you to, and all my life I saw you diligently obey to please her and this time…I can’t let this happen, I can’t let you marry that douche…YOU CAN’T MARRY THAT DOUCHEBAG GONGJIU

- Hmm excuse me, last time I checked I was still here, I’m just saying…

- Shut up-

- Fire her.

- I’m not firing her.

- She called me a douche bag and told me to ‘shut up’, FIRE HER…

- I. Am. Not. Firing. her.

- Ok, well I guess you won’t have any problem saying goodbye to my friendship and my millions dollars investment in the Oeyeondo Resort from next week-

- ALL OF YOU SHUT UP…I begged now as I was the one who was really close, really, really close to loose it. Kim Hana, look at me…I am not marrying him. I know the plan might not be as easy as you thought It would and I know it drives you crazy when you don’t have the solution but please, please for god’s sake whatever brain torture you’re currently going through… STOP IT, you have to stop it… I am not marrying him, I’ll fix this, you’ll help me but I WILL FIX THIS, I can do it or don’t you believe in me?

- No, no of course not, I mean yes I do believe in you…

- So…you see...I can handle this trust me, so please calm down honey…if not people might believe that you’re the one threaten to tie the knot with the manwhore…

- Manwhore? What the is wrong with these brats seriously-

- MY POINT IS- I cut him giving him my deadly stare. We have to find the other way. There is another way.

- I know, we have to find what’s the deal Mrs. Ju negotiated and what’s the threat she used on your grandmother. I smirked at the fact that we came up to the same conclusion. I just wished we wouldn’t have to go there…I wished we’d have a quickest way…it is going to be hard…

- Why is that? Spoke this time Ji who seemed to have gotten over that firing obsession.

- Because nobody threatens my grandmother, unless you’re seeking for self-destruction…

- I don’t know what is it that your mother used to convince Mrs. Lee, but it’s big and scary…

- Why is it so obvious that my MOTHER is the one threatening your family to get this deal done, what do I have to benefit from this union?

- She was raised to be the perfect daughter, wife and mother. You have everything to benefit from this union…answered Hana and I felt like a robot. What’s interesting is what your mother offered her grandmother, that’s what we need to know…

- Whatever…as long as I get rid of this marriage , I’m fine… he said clearly not convinced of our point.

- How do we do that? Asked this time Jin-hyuk.

- Because now you’re willing to help?

- I’m willing on keep my investor in a project that I’ve been working my off for the past three years. And I just think that you among four of us having the perfect wife is simply out of question, what happens to justice?

- W.H.A.T.E.V.E.R he repeated.

- Ok so we have a plan I guess. Whispered Hana who started to feel better.

- We do? Asked skeptically Ji-hoon.

- Yes we do Oppa… I told him with one of these meaningful look implying that we seriously didn’t need his comments.

- Ok well, I guess we’re leaving then. Hana-ya. He said again looking at my friend and I was ready to jump in when his friend forestalled me.

- Man… you came to pick ME I’m just saying…

- You seem to be fine here, why don’t you spend more time with your fiancée and go back home with your parents…

- Fiancée? Who’s the fiancée, I’m not anyone’s fiancée…

- He’s just mad because I called him a puppet.

- No I’m not, but we’ll drop you it’s fine…he nonchalantly added.

- “We”, are you guys a thing or something because I’m lost here…said Ji-hoon reflecting my actual thought sending the coldest wind I’ve ever got the chance to witness in the room. They both literally froze at his sentence looking at him as if the way they stared at him for a reason would help to erase that awkward moment that just happened.

-  I…I was actually planning on saying at her place though… I can’t go home tonight…

- You can’t? Now I was intrigued by the choice of her words.

- Well I don’t know if you remember but Mino is getting married tomorrow, and my dad is obsessed with the idea of spending time with me “talking things” that I absolutely don’t understand and don’t need either… so I’d rather spend the night here, it’ll be good for my mental and physical health to avoid the 10kg of ice cream he bought…she said and I saw the two men exchange a look as she sent another cold wave in the room.

- God… Hon’ I…I started…feeling guilty about the idea that we should’ve planed something for tonight. With the girls, or-

- Oh no please not you too… I am fine if there’s anything you should worry about it’s yourself not me, I’m not the one who’s about to marry the appointed Asia douche--

- Excuse me? Okay what the is your problem you little-

- OK OK…Let’s go I’ll drop you! Interrupted his friend taking him by his arm as the latter tried to reach Hana that I hid behind myself.

- You let her talk to me like that? Are you even serious? Wait until I see you again you BRAT…He kept on threatening while he was dragged towards the door as I was trying to not laugh.

- Yes Bye! See you later…she answered innocently before adding – douche…for her and me as we looked at each other before literally burst out laughing for almost five minutes.

We went up to my room and kept on laughing mostly out of nothing every time we looked at each other. I ran into the shower. I wanted to sober up from the wine and this whole evening, as washing up myself would also help erase these memories. I put on some comfortable pajamas and prepared some cool but not so complicated skincare so that Hana would agree on tagging along. When I was out she had showered too in the friend’s bedroom and helped herself in my dressing room. She had gone to the kitchen and brought some ice cream and other not so healthy stuff that made me happy just by the idea of devouring it.

- Oh no not the scary facial please

- No don’t worryjust sheet masks for you; I laughed remembering what happened last time I actually forced her to go through it.

- Oh someone has been texting you… she said herself having her eyes on her phone. I looked at it:

 

Ji-King:

21:34 Text me when my parents leaves your place…

21:37 Hello there…

21:39 are you ignoring me?

21:41 Do you know what happens to people who ignore me ?

21:43 DON’T IGNORE ME

21:45 I really hope for you that this wedding doesn’t happen, I’ll make your life a piece of hell…

21:47 I Thought we were a team, I’m taking risks here, I sent my secretary to spy in my parents room, he would appreciate it if you would tell him when my parents leave

21:50 oh wouaouh seriously, you’re not even willing on helping HIM

21:53 whatever

21:55 I guess he’ll probably be happy in another work environment

21:57 his pregnant girlfriend with whom he is supposedly getting married in the 6months will happy to hear that too…

 

- What the hell…that is not texting it’s my phone… my god…I said leaving the room.

- Where are you going?

- Will be right back… I said looking out for Ajumma help.

 

Me:

23:01 I was in the shower and matter of a fact I am free to ignore you, I think I remember telling you to not threaten me

 2:why can’t you watch over while he’s spying?

3:When the hell did you save your number and who told you to?

4: JI-KING??? WHAT THE HELL?

 

Ji-King:

23:02 Why? You prefer JI-hubby?

 

Me:

No thanks. I fixed it.

 

Ji-hoe:

23:02 I saved it around your 4TH or 5th glass of wine…and I’m having a drink with Jin, do I look that free to you to stand guard for my secretary?

 

Me:

23:03 having a drink with your friend make you a free a person; the only problem I see is your priorities…

 

‘Whatever’ I thought to myself as I made myself to the kitchen. – AHJUMMA…DID THEY LEAVE?

- Almost a half hour ago…what’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting weird…

- …

Me:

23:04 They left 30 minutes ago… you have to tell him!!!

23:04 did you get my message???

23:05 ARE YOU IGNORING ME?

 

Ji-hoe:

23:07 Oh now you know how it feels?

 

Me:

23:07 you have to tell him!

 

Ji-hoe:

23:09 I think he just got fired…

 

Me:

23:09 whaaaaat ??

 

Ji-hoe:

23:09 don’t worry…I’ll find someone else

 

Me:

23:10 oppa…I ACTUALLY DON’T CARE ABOUT YOU!

Me:

23:11 is there anything we could do ?

 

Ji-hoe:

23:11 you should’ve thought about it while showering…

 

Me:

23:11 GO TO HELL

 

Ji-hoe

23:12 Sure, for honeymoon?

 

- What the hell…oh my god I can’t believe this…seriously??? I said mumbling on my way back to my room only to run into my grandmother who was talking to Hana. I felt like running back to the kitchen but the desperate look she was giving me didn’t go unnoticed by my dearest who soon noticed my presence.

- Feeling better? She asked and I could sense that she didn’t really care.  

- Yes.

- Good. She simply added proceeding towards my door before adding: - Hana, next time you’re plotting to interrupt an important dinner while using your ex boyfriend getting married that I know for a fact you absolutely do not care about; please do it before she gets drunk and humiliate me in front of my guests…

She coldly stated before leaving as we both froze on our spots. I sighed. Hana was right. I wish taking down the board, creating a conflict within its members by pointing a conflict of interest would’ve been an option. But it’s not; we’ll have to go the other way. The hardest one, the one where you would have to sneak behind her back, the woman who never lets her guard down even while sleeping. A woman who doesn’t let any detail slip away from her grasp, a woman who is constantly aware of everything, everyone surrounding her. Yes, this was going to be hard, even harder as I’ve never thought for one second that the reason behind all this was actually the most obvious and stupid one ever, if only I knew. But then, would it have changed anything?