Chemistry

Weddings & CO

- Are you listening to me? I snapped at the authoritative tone of my dear friend that has been blabbering about some work issues that as usual her life seemed to depend on.

- Euh yeah Sorry… yeah you’re right, you should definitely cc him from now on…

- What? What the hell…I’ve closed that that topic 15minutes ago already, do not tell me you haven’t been listening from then? Ok now I was in deep .

- I’m sorry Hon’ …I’m a bit disturbed…what were you saying…

- I’m saying it’s white!

- So what?

- I can’t wear white at my ex-boyfriend’s wedding even though he’s marring a stupid digger unless I want to be the most hated woman in this city…not that I really care…I mean I don’t give a but my professional life might slightly be in danger…then I do give a ...she said without taking a breath which made me almost suspect her of doing drugs.

- It’s not white…I mean it is…but it’s floral printed… so it’s not white...it’s 50% white…

- It’s white or not white?

- It’s white enough to piss that but not to put your professional life on strike…

- That’s what I needed to know…that dress is amazing… thank you…she said in a completely different mood and I suspected her of suffering from a sort of a dissociative identity disorder. I didn’t care at that time as my heart couldn’t help but melt seeing her this way.

- You’re the one who looks amazing…not the dress…

- Sorry…I’ve been acting as a for the past 30 minutes I know you worked your off to find the dresses…

- Don’t worry, finding the dress wasn’t a problem getting you to try it was the real one… Thank god with your skinny plastic everything looks well on you, because getting your dress 43 hours before attending an event is a hell of a risk…

- Skinny? Who’s skinny? I’m not skinny…  I have s ok? I have s and- well I have s! She insisted and I laughed. She was funny. She’s always been in her own way.

- Hana-ya…I said after taking a deep breath as I decided to let myself go where my heart wanted… I…I think something serious is going on… I confessed going back to my seat in the department store’s private trial room. She suddenly open the curtain behind the one she was changing and looked at me dramatically as her shirt was still opened revealing her y bra.

- Girl…Why do you keep on using push-up… you’ve already been blessed by god …

- What happened? She asked more in a ordering tone rather than a concerned one.

- I…I don’t know…I lazily mumbled already wanting to drift the subject.

- No you do know… what happened? And this time worrisome couldn’t hide anymore in her voice.  Did…did you have to see him again?

- No…no…not since that time… I finally got to speak for the first time with my grandmother, since all that happened…

- Oh my god. She interrupted me, as this only fact was already too much to handle. So...no…wait I need to sit too…

- That’s the thing…nothing happened…she didn’t tell me anything about that meeting… or the other one we had all together… she didn’t mention any of that…

- She didn’t? I don’t understand so what did you guys spoke about?

- She…she brought up our family issues… my father…

- Oh… she simply added almost regretting her question. I’ve always been so tough on all of them when it came to my father. That was just the most forbidden subject we were allowed to speak about. More than the fact that Hana’s mother left for another man. Sue’s mother alcohol issues, or Sunny’s father infidelity. I’ve always admired the fact that each of them at some point accepted to open about It or at least accept that the rest of us would in order to heal the other. All of them did, except for me. – Ok but what does your family issues has to do with the recent event I’m not sure to follow here…it doesn’t make any sense…

- Neither does it to me… I don’t know…maybe- I couldn’t finish as my phone went off noticing a text that I had received from no other than my grandmother herself.

Gongju, You have to be home by 5pm  

We’re having important guests for dinner…

 

- What’s going on? I looked up to her then to my phone again as I realized it was a quarter to four.

- I…I have to go… so you’re fine with the dress right? I asked packing my stuff.

- What is going on? You’re freaking me out!

- Nothing… Nothing…maybe I’m finally about to know what’s really going on…we’re receiving guests… “Important guests”…I told her showing the text.

- Hum… ok…ok …you absolutely have to keep me updated…ok if you can’t really give me details just send me the code ok? She said referring to the code color we’ve created before flying to New York. “We” meaning her and Sunny that always had a thing for protocols and secret organizations. We basically had five colors to use in different type of situation where we would be bored, feeling down, drunk, in danger or …if one of us was dying or had died. The last one always game me the feeling of throwing up and It took me a long time to acknowledge it but the rest of the group agreed on the fact that only one of us would be the most appropriate person to give such news. Which made me realize once again that my best friends were total freaks.

- I don’t see really which color would be appropriate but I’ll try…hurry up I’ll drop you to the hotel…

- Don’t worry President Jin is dropping me… she said in a too nonchalantly way to my taste.

- Excuse me? I stopped looking at her and clearly waiting for an explanation.

- Don’t look at me like that, he had an appointment with Wooki Oppa and since he knows I’m at Coex too it’s a waste of money to pay a cab to go back to work especially that the fees would be reimbursed by the hotel anyway…don’t you think?

- And from where does this extremely convincing excuse comes from? Him or you?

- Me…he actually simply ordered me to wait for him to finish…

- What the - …ok Hana you don’t need to wait for him, I AM dropping you…

- Well actually he’s the one waiting…he finished 10minutes ago…she said packing her phone keys bag then buttoning her shirt then on her way to pay the dress I had actually already paid which was subject of a painful debate I had to go through on our way down to the exit where her boss was indeed waiting for her.

- Annyeonghaseyo… I saluted with a light bow to what he responded a quick “hi, how are you” while taking her shopping bag giving it to his secretary that had left now to bring his car.

- You absolutely have to read this…he told her clearly excited and handing her the Pekin economic journal. I was surprised he read mandarin, people his generation while studying were only focusing on Japanese and English.

- What is this…oh my god there’s a whole page about the reopening of the hotel’s village…that’s amazing… oh my god I owe you dinner…she then suddenly told me.

- Me? Why? I clearly didn’t see the connection here neither did her boss from the frowning look he was addressing her.

- You remember the email address I’ve asked three weeks ago, your Chinese professor?

- Oh yes…you never told me why you needed her email…

- Her husband writes for the journal… I’ve sent him a press pack about the reopening… he only said he’d have a look at it I didn’t expect him to write something that fast…and one page…I mean Wouaouh…

- Well done…he’s known to be very difficult, what did you do to him? I asked laughing.

- You’re not the only one with the convincing skill here…she said clearly bragging and I laughed.

- Wait a second…so you’re the one behind that release? Suddenly asked her boss who was a trying to follow up with the conversation.

- She is… she answered him pointing at me.

- Are you kidding me…all I did was give you an email address I think “President Jin” is the one owning you a very expensive dinner here… I teased as she gave me a deadly look.

- ‘Expensive’…because you thought I was going to buy her instant ramen? He said and I laughed again. He could actually be funny. He just didn’t know it.

- I like ramen… she stated.

- I don’t…

- But you’re treating ME…I must be the one to choose…

- You choose whatever you want…it has to be “expensive”…

- Ok…I’ll find the most expensive ramen in this continent…

-  Why are you stubborn? Why is she so stubborn? He said then asking me and found myself realizing that they shared more than complicity. They had chemistry. I paid my goodbyes and left them bickering at each other as that very disturbing thought had kept my mind busy until I had made it home where another very disturbing evening was waiting for me…